klisagar

Wading boots

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

After I stop fishing for the year in the next couple of weeks, I am going to start looking for a new pair of wading boots. My Caddis Men's Northern Guide wading boots are now approaching 5 years old and are falling apart.  I dont want to break the bank, but don't want to buy junk either so I am looking for opinions/recommendations on brands with which others have had good experience.  I fish mostly back bays and beaches on the north shore of Long Island so I am on both sand and rocks of all sizes.  Thanks.

Well, if you can still find them at a good price, I would suggest taking a look at a pair of Danner USMC "RAT" boots (get the "hot" climate version as they have the best drainage). They were on sale earlier this year for like $30-60 depending on size (normally they are a $400 boot). A few places still have them at that sale price (I believe they were just recently removed from approved combat wear boots except for people who had already been issued them and thus a lot of surplus stock is being offloaded). Certainly won't break the bank at $50-60 if you can still find them. These are true to size (heck I think military boots are what created the sizes in the first place), so size up and width up for fitting in neoprene socks.

Been holding out pretty well for me so far in the salt water. Just make sure you give them a real good dunking in fresh water after use to help them last longer. At some point I suspect they will begin to fail, but considering they are about 1/4 or less the price of a set of korkers...

I have Korker's Devils Canyon boots, I fish both north and south shores. Great on the rocks because you have interchangeable soles, a bitch in the sand as the boa can jam up but it's easy enough to clean and a cheap pair of gravel guards helps keep sand out. I know they either have released or are releasing a new model so you might be able to find a close out. Overall recommend. 

My Korkers Greenbacks have held up fairly well for the past year. Some of the black rubber is starting to develop superficial cracks, but that is mostly cosmetic. Given how hard I have used them for the past year on the sand, rocks, muck, and even in a float tube with fins on, I can't complain one bit. For $139 with the interchangeable soles it's a tough deal to beat

I wore a pair of Korkers Buckskins for almost 7 season before they finally quit on me. I have to say though...they were not comfortable at all. I have been wearing Simms G4 boots for  a couple years now. They're pricey, but so comfortable and the warranty is pretty good. They feel comfortable like a sneaker, but very supportive like a good boot. I can walk all day long in those boots without any fatigue or pain.

Posted (edited)

Have about ~40 hours on my Korkers River Ops. Very comfortable and supportive so far, needed a bit of breaking in but otherwise quite happy with them. Tried the Simms G3 boot and it was like wearing a couple of concrete blocks on my feet.

Edited by Camhabib

Just switched from boot foot to stocking foot Frogg Toggs and paired them with the Hodgeman “neoprene wading shoe” after searching out a previous discussion here & other fishing sites, with claims of comfort AND minimal sand accumulation. I can confirm after two long stints in the surf, they feel & work great.