CutGrassCatchBass

SP Minnow Alternatives for the Surf

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

The one thing I’m surprised no one has mentioned yet is to make sure your hooks are sharp. Hooks can dull out very easily and if your finding yourself getting into bigger fish with larger/thicker mouthes you might not be getting a proper hook set because of it. You’d be surprised with what you might think is sharp isn’t actually so. 

In addition to what is said, learn to bucktail. In most instances a .75 or 1.0 oz bucktail will work better than an sp minnow. If you get a hand for it, you will probably land more and bigger fish.  You will also be able to target more of the water column.

I gave away or sold all my sp minnows and most of my finnish swimmers about 4 years ago, for many reasons you note and because I prefer not to use plugs with a treble under 4/0.

There are scenarios where a sp minnow is a better choice, like if you want to float a lure out in current, if you want to employ pause, or a slow crawl in still water.  I will use a slow sinking needle in those instances or opt to not fish those conditions.

The sp is a great plug but because a bucktail is better in so many ways, I see no reason to carry both.

5 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

The one thing I’m surprised no one has mentioned yet is to make sure your hooks are sharp. Hooks can dull out very easily and if your finding yourself getting into bigger fish with larger/thicker mouthes you might not be getting a proper hook set because of it. You’d be surprised with what you might think is sharp isn’t actually so. 

I always carry one of those small hook sharpening stones, sharp hooks are a must....

OP. If you need floating, try a Danny plug. Not for all conditions but….

Perfect to crawl. Through wired.  You can bend the front eyelet up or down to change the depth. The belly treble is already on a swivel. 

You can carry a few different versions which typically have different action & depth out of the box let alone with tweaks. Shorter and longer versions. I switch to a flag on the back sometimes. 

Really wanna see a cool swimmer? Add a Colorado blade on the rear hanger of a Danny. Wow! 

FYI

For the Danny, I find I control it best with just the reel. No rod pumps at all - whereas the SP & Magdarter I will crawl & twitch using the rod. 

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

Jointed is deadly but …….,.,,,,

8952226C-7370-4F9E-9E60-9FB2330A4377.jpeg

170D60AF-31ED-400E-BE26-709CAFD9DE62.jpeg

But man, do those older chicken scratch catch. Right up there with the top 5. 

Bone over orange

Smokey Joe

Rainbow

Black