Kidfo

Second pole.......for albies

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Realizing my 9'6" Century may be a bit more pole than I need while chasing albies up and down the shore.  About ready to go to down the two pole route, the Century rigged for bass and a smaller pole for albies.  The smaller pole can also accompany me on the boat for casting purposes and will be a bit of a lighter load while making a hundred casts chasing albies.  Been seeing some recommendations on St. Croix Avid Inshore.  What else are people using?  Is 7'6 to 8' the right range?

Will probably look to pair it with a Shimano Vanford coming in at 7.5oz to keep the set up light.

Enjoy the last few weeks here in the northeast fellas!

The only rod i use besides my 10ft century for that type of fishing is a 7ft jigging world hybrid, i think itd the 2-5oz model. I got it for my girl to use when she comes with me but lately I've been using it myself when she's not around. It can send those metals a mile from a boat.

Thinking from the beach, you want a longer rod, especially fishing for albies.  If you go too light, you can't turn the fish and end of killing them during the long fight. I see guys on jetties all the time with light 7' rods and they fish light drags and on the release the fish sinks like a stone right to the bottom..

A 7’-6” inshore rod works great. I use a med/heavy Mojo Inshore, older purple model. It’s great from shore or boat and can cast epoxy jigs ridiculously far. There’s no need for a longer rod than that. 

From the surf I always used a 8' st. croix tidemaster. It is an older model and now the reel seat spins so I went to a 9' cts rated to 2 1/2 oz. I have a van staall vr50 for a reel. 

I’ve been using a 7.5’  diawa proteus with a 4000 saltist mainly from a kayak, but it’s fine from the beach too.  

My go to when I’m only on the beach is an 8’  rainshadow SW967F-M.  I wrapped this rod up a few years ago specifically for throwing metal in the 1-1.5 oz range. 

For a few years I used my 7'6  tidemaster 

Then I switched to an 8 ft avid inshore  

Both rated to about 3/4 

After that I switched to my 9 ft odm nex1 

And from shore I don't think I would ever go back 

Throws everything 1/2-2.5 further than the inshore rods, and it handles fish better, able to turn them slightly better and have shorter fights so the fish swim off stronger 

I have built a 7'6 custom that's 1/2-2 that handled fish pretty well, but I have found that i prefer a surf rod vs an inshore type rod for this kind of fishing 

How worn out are you guys after albie fishing with a 9’ rod? Thousands of casts and fast reeling with a big rod doesn’t sound fun. 

37 mins ago, z-man said:

How worn out are you guys after albie fishing with a 9’ rod?

Not at all… If ya have the right stuff!

I’m currently fishing a rod that is 10’4”, rated to 60g, weighs 7.25oz and is paired with a reel that weighs 8.25oz. To put this into perspective, this combo is lighter than a Shimano Saragosa 5000 reel.

If one is ground pounding for albies, you are only handicapping yourself with a 7-8’ rod. Nothing more frustrating than having the water frothed up by albies just out of casting range with a short stic…

Posted (edited)

58 mins ago, z-man said:

How worn out are you guys after albie fishing with a 9’ rod? Thousands of casts and fast reeling with a big rod doesn’t sound fun. 

Ever fished a ss1145? It’s a beauty, can fish all day with bass for that thing with a 4500 sized reel.

Honestly I’d stick with that setup.  When I’m chasing albies I carry the 1145 with 20 lb flouro.  Plays double duty for schoolies and albies and is plenty light.  Slammer 4500 keeps it light and enjoyable 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

Posted (edited)

If you want to stick with a century brand, the 8'6" slingshot 1025 has been an awesome albie rod for me.

Very light, moderate, and whips jigs a mile out.  Have mine paired with a 3000 stradic & 15lb PP. 

I can throw that setup all day without any fatigue but yet, but enough backbone to handle slot sized bass & blues.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

51 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Ever fished a ss1145? It’s a beauty, can fish all day with bass for that thing with a 4500 sized reel.

Honestly I’d stick with that setup.  When I’m chasing albies I carry the 1145 with 20 lb flouro.  Plays double duty for schoolies and albies and is plenty light.  Slammer 4500 keeps it light and enjoyable 

Thats what I have now........SS1145 with a 5000 Saragosa.  I reckon with a 7'6 or 8' pole I can get down to a lighter reel as well to make the whole set up lighter and also have one ready for albies and another for bass without having to switch out lures back and forth.  

53 mins ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

If you want to stick with a century brand, the 8'6" slingshot 1025 has been an awesome albie rod for me.

Very light, moderate, and whips jigs a mile out.  Have mine paired with a 3000 stradic & 15lb PP. 

I can throw that setup all day without any fatigue but yet, but enough backbone to handle slot sized bass & blues.

Was hoping for something half the price as Century as my 9'6" Slingshot broke the bank lol.  

3000 Stradic is interesting though and in my reel price range. Did you consider the 4000 as that would have been my natural pairing choice.  I believe the 4000 is 2 ounces heavier than the 3000.  

7’6” ODM DNA NXD-7615 with a Stradic C5000XG is the setup I use for open beach albies and back bay schoolie bass.