C.Crisp

Youtube junk food

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Why do the top grossing YouTube fishing channels focus on entertainment over knowledge, especially when a lot of the creators seem like knowledgeable anglers? I respect the viewer's personal preferences, but watching someone else fish without providing instructions, or useful info feels like a waste of time. It's awesome that they are able to make a living doing this, I get that they need views, but I can't wrap my head around their popularity when it's all filler and no killer. Maybe I'm too old, too scientific, or stubborn. Somebody shed some light on this!

Edited by C.Crisp

Well, there one guy who made his pedigree catching and writing books before I believe he retired from his main job to fish & make videos. John Skinner. He shares as much as possible in most videos. 

As far as the rest, you would be hard pressed to find any/many making a living. They’re fitting the time into their lives the same as the rest of us. (Fishaholic being an exception I think.)

And then the ones with integrity & ethics, especially if they don’t have a boat, find it very tough to make videos without burning spots & losing the respect of their own fishing friends/community.

(I think that’s what happened largely with Seamoney. Seems like he chose not burning spots/friends/etc instead of continuously chasing the bite & filming it for YouTube which always gives away spots to people who know the coastline even a little- no matter how great a camera angle or editing job you do.)

Plus, if these guys preach xyz fishing method, there’s a host of comments that will say he’s wrong even when it’s perfectly sound advice. 

Guys like Landshark Outdoors are pretty good about mixing in direction with entertainment. Guy has 618k followers… I’m guessing he’s doing pretty well.

26 mins ago, C.Crisp said:

Why do the top grossing YouTube fishing channels focus on entertainment over knowledge, especially when a lot of the creators seem like knowledgeable anglers? I respect the viewer's personal preferences, but watching someone else fish without providing instructions, or useful info feels like a waste of time. It's awesome that they are able to make a living doing this, I get that they need views, but I can't wrap my head around their popularity when its all filler and no killer. Maybe I'm too old, too scientific, or stubborn. Somebody shed some light on this!

Don't look at the Youtuber, instead look at the audience.

The average person who spends all day looking at Youtube is an idiot.

All they're doing is giving them what the viewers want.

4 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Excellent point. 

5 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Would you say that the average person is an idiot? As opposed to being of average intelligence?

15 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Would you say that the average person is an idiot? As opposed to being of average intelligence?

I would say that the average intelligence of the modern American is of "idiot" caliber.

So yes, the average person is the average idiot.

That's how far our nation, our culture, and our people have fallen. 

I blame the Left, our education system, declining morals, and a Baby Boomer Generation that was too busy working to notice what was beginning right under their noses.

3 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

I would say that the average intelligence of the modern American is of "idiot" caliber.

So yes, the average person is the average idiot.

That's how far our nation, our culture, and our people have fallen. 

I blame the Left, our education system, declining morals, and a Baby Boomer Generation that was too busy working to notice what was beginning right under their noses.

Check out a picture of IQ distribution and then check the definition of average. Maybe taken IQ test yourself?

Short of life and family lessons I've learned more about the surf on this site than any yooboob channel.   Some members have channels.  But the real knowledge is shed on here.  Shout to Rumble Fish,  Cary Greene,  Tinman,  on and on.   Wealth of knowledgeable people here.   But there is something to be said about videos of chicks in bikinis fishing :beers:

4 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Check out a picture of IQ distribution and then check the definition of average. Maybe taken IQ test yourself?

Or maybe, as usual, I simply do/say/think whatever the **** I want, and go with that.

14 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Or maybe, as usual, I simply do/say/think whatever the **** I want, and go with that.

That's certainly your right, just don't expect many people to agree with you

The average viewer wants entertainment, so if the YouTuber wants to make  maximum profit they cater to that. The videos with titles like “I caught THIS in THERE!?!?!?!” seem to get a lot more hits than titles along the lines of “how to tie this knot”… I think that’s because the average person looking at YouTube for advice doesn’t know enough to know what they need to learn.. And now we have a whole generation of try hards that imitate their favorite YouTube star who ironically doesn’t really know what they’re doing either, they just understand the market and how to get views. 

That’s not a shot at all YouTubers, some of them are great fishermen who really have something to offer.. but after fishing with a few and seeing or being involved with the behind the scenes stuff, a lot of them are just as clueless as their viewers. They’re just good at talking the talk; it’s all about the show.