BrianBM

Interesting discussion of Rivian P/U

47 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, z-man said:

They’ve been having some issues lately with their wheels falling off. 

302FEECC-9DA5-4E43-A91E-B938295E12AD.jpeg

you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel....

3 days to fully charge with the at home charger?  Sorry, can't come to work till Thursday, my Rivian is still charging.....

Saw one being delivered on a F450/550 diesel flatbed

the ford had Rivian documentation

how are we going to deliver our heavy electric trucks without petroleum products?

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

Seen one in the parking garage at work lately.  Looks too fragile to be used like a truck.

I think pretty much they're a car with an open truck.  A la el-camino minus the class.

Posted (edited)

This guy was beside me today approaching GW bridge . Nice look Suv but ouch $91k starting price .

2526368B-4672-405F-B949-E871F60F6B19.jpeg

Edited by connman
Typo

Time will tell.

Electric vehicles aren't as new as we think. One of the Daimlers (Frederic?) showed off a battery-powered care circa 1910, or earlier. (Somebody look it up and correct me, please.) It couldn't climb a hill, the weight of the lead-acid batteries, plus a driver, ate the entire sum of the payload. I think he actually put a motor on each wheel, too, which was very forward thinking of him. The state of the art has changed a bit, but internal combustion has enjoyed the benefit of billions of engineer hours.

So, we'll watch the progress of events. It's a good show. This is like the auto biz in 1910 or 1920, all kinds of nifty startups being run by crazed geniuses, most of which will ultimately fail, while still advancing that state of the art.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 7:29 AM, Skunkoff said:

Seen one in the parking garage at work lately.  Looks too fragile to be used like a truck.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2022 at 8:38 AM, chisler said:

I think pretty much they're a car with an open truck.  A la el-camino minus the class.

Very off road capable.

For SOL users, the biggest questions are how fast the battery drains when driving, deflated, on soft sand, and how susceptible the truck will be to corrosion when it sniffs salt spray.

47 mins ago, BrianBM said:

For SOL users, the biggest questions are how fast the battery drains when driving, deflated, on soft sand, and how susceptible the truck will be to corrosion when it sniffs salt spray.

Those are the least of my concerns. The trucks have a 300 mile range. Driving a couple miles on the beach is nothing. The most I could possibly drive in the beach if it was all open, which it pretty much never is, would be 10 miles  round trip. Salt on the beach means nothing to me because driving 1 mile on a winter salted road is more salt than 100 years of driving on the beach. My main concern is price. I’m not paying $96K for a truck ever. That’s just insane. 

I won't argue the price issue. It strikes me as nuts, too ... but. The early market is people with money and a desire to show status, more like drivers of European sports cars than your typical F-150 driver. How many electric P/U trucks are being sold now? How many are even close to being sold? So Rivian has a lead, for awhile, on the electric P/U market.

58 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I won't argue the price issue. It strikes me as nuts, too ... but. The early market is people with money and a desire to show status, more like drivers of European sports cars than your typical F-150 driver. How many electric P/U trucks are being sold now? How many are even close to being sold? So Rivian has a lead, for awhile, on the electric P/U market.

Eventually all the rich people and those that gotta have it first will have bought their Rivians and moved onto something else. Then what happens? I don’t see the average midsize truck driver suddenly paying 90K for a Rivian instead of 40K for a Tacoma. It doesn’t make any sense and I think Rivian is going to have issues selling unless they can drastically lower their prices.