Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Lang

Here we go again, more sharks.

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Jul 23, 2002 7:48 am US/Eastern

(Atlantic City-AP) -- Shark sightings forced three Atlantic County towns to impose swimming restrictions over the weekend.

Swimmers in parts of Atlantic City, Longport and Margate were allowed in up to their ankles until the sharks passed.

Beach officials estimate the sandbar or brown sharks were about five- to ten-feet long and were chasing bait fish close to shore.

-----------------------------------------

I don't even think of sharks while wetsuiting to distant rocks, because my imagination would have me seeing 20-foot great whites.

I am concerned with the seals I see more and more of each year. You go to California and mix cold water with a healthy seal population and its a sure thing for whites, I know I only here of a few sightings/catches a year of a white sharks on Long Island at best, but what do you think about whites becoming more common to our waters?

ML

------------------

usa3.gif

[This message has been edited by Mike Lang (edited 07-23-2002).]

I would have to think the liklehood of whites showing up is increasing but most likely not during the summer tourist months, for NJ anyway. Now for the fall/spring fisherman who like to get wet,........yes, its time to get a bigger boat biggrin.gif

BH

Was told by a charter captain over the weekend of a small great white caught under the Montauk lighthouse as well as a 15 foot Thresher caught on the South Side in 25 feet of water.

I wouldn't want to be skishing anytime soon!!

[This message has been edited by Norman (edited 07-23-2002).]

Well...what about the Great White that ended up in the Matawan Creek back in the 30's after feeding it's way up the Jersey Shore !!

------------------

Bob Sr. (Big Daddy Breaks-A-lot)

There's been Browns all over SJ in real shallow (breakers) water. Don't know if a Brown ever hit a human and I never heard of one getting to 10 feet. Anyone know the World record Brown?

The browns in SJ are about 3-5ft so far. They've been in the De bay for a few weeks, but just started showing up in the skinny water breeding in numbers the past couple weeks. The males are smaller, usually about 4ft, and they usually stay around in numbers for a few more weeks, while the females are bigger, I've seen them up to about 8-9ft, but they just come in for a couple days and then head back out to deeper water. You can get the bigger females in the de bay, but the males are usually what you get from the suds.

Well...what about the Great White that ended up in the Matawan Creek back in the 30's after feeding it's way up the Jersey Shore !!

I saw that special on TV, it was a tiger shark, though not less dangerous.

------------------

usa3.gif

In stone Harbor, NJ some guy caught a small black tip shark on friday. There are a lot of 4- 6 ft sharks I am guessing they are brown sharks, but one shark I saw had a blue back and that was NOT a brown shark! In the back bays I have seen a lot of cow nose rays around so I guess the sharks are dining on the rays. I have even seen the rays eating peanut bunker in the back bays. It scares the ***** out of you when one of the beasts crash near your kayak at night.

Mike...it was a Great White. It's been written up is several books also. It was caught in the bay with human parts in it.

------------------

Bob Sr. (Big Daddy Breaks-A-lot)

Kayaker is right on, the Browns are small, but lots of em around.

Hey kayaker, was that Black Tip caught on the beach or bay?

The surfers in Stone Harbor are floating with the Browns. They cruise right under their boards.

On Sat. afternoon I was floating not 1/2 mile off 90th st. beach and had a manta ray fly by. Never saw one that close to the beach before.