hurricane1091

Best knot for braid?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Have yet to get under a 20.5lb break with the No-Name knot.  Typically 25lbs.  Here's an anomaly ... wow! ...

no-name30.jpg.6f5f6a9805f6035b1111c75c6b8c9b45.jpg

On 11/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, BeachBob said:

I've been testing out this "no-name" (carrot?) knot and I find it's far easier to tie than the FG because no line tension is required during its build.  So far I'm getting a good 85% knot strength after tying 11 of these knots - some knots are closer to 95%. 

Thanks, Bob.  I've been looking for a low profile "mono to mono" knot for my shock leader. (17 lb tritanium to 30-50 lb Ande).   I'm really liking the carrot knot.  Looks like it's also called the Mahin knot?

I like that the tag ends are at the back of the knot - so the tag ends won't be the first thing to hit the guides when casting.  Appreciate you sharing that info.

Some are calling it the Tony Pena knot, but further research on YouTube shows that the carrot and Pena knots are quite different.

22 hours ago, RP McMurphy said:

Thanks, Bob.  I've been looking for a low profile "mono to mono" knot for my shock leader. (17 lb tritanium to 30-50 lb Ande).   I'm really liking the carrot knot.  Looks like it's also called the Mahin knot?

I like that the tag ends are at the back of the knot - so the tag ends won't be the first thing to hit the guides when casting.  Appreciate you sharing that info.

For mono-2-mono knots (main to leader) I use the overhand-2-uni knot exclusively ...

637e79f85c65d_LINE2leader.png.76e8d8cf748f1a113f863555cadb8ba7.png

On 11/22/2022 at 4:30 PM, RP McMurphy said:

For mono to mono, I would look into the stuff fly guys use. You have to decide what works best for your set up. 

A nail knot would seem a good choice for the main line mono to shock leader situation you described. (Nub burned on the leader side.) 

Without worrying about knots & guides, I have used an Albright knot to join a light mono to a heavier one. (Like tapering a SW leader with a short tippet of lighter breaking strength around snaggy inlets - assuming you’re willing to donate the jig versus trying to get it back.) 

Posted (edited)

IF the braid to mono knot will be outside of the rod tip guide, the style of knot build is mostly immaterial to me. 

But if that knot will need to go through all the guides, and in fact will go around the reel spool at least a few times, then the style of knot build is critical to me, and any knot that doubles the leader and faces forward (Alberto, Albright, and lotsa others and their variations) is (k)not so good as there will be eventual issues running through the guides during a reasonably powerful cast.  Some of the knots with braid twists only on their front end are the FG, SC, PR, GT ... and the No Name.

Those "compression during build" knots such as the FG and its ilk are just not friendly for me to build and when built can fail no matter how good they look due to unseen issues in the build.  I pretest all knots to at least 80% on a scale, based on the braid's labeled test strength.  If they fail, then it's do-over time, which is fine by me - thankfully with the No Name that very rarely happens.  The No Name knot typically won't go below 85% and most run in the 90% range.  I can fish with that, no problemo.   

Edited by BeachBob

15 hours ago, BeachBob said:

For mono-2-mono knots (main to leader) I use the overhand-2-uni knot exclusively ...

Yes - I have this on a couple of my set-ups. (Learned it from you).  

Both this and the carrot seem to be strong, low profile knots. with the overhand-2-uni, one tag end faces the guides, but at least it's the tag end from the smaller main line, and not the beefier leader.

BTW/ Happy Thanksgiving to all.

From what I've seen on YouTube, the true Carrot knot uses a doubled braid for the twist around the leader that uses a figure 8 loop for the initial passage of the braid.  Like the No Name, the front of the Carrot knot is slim and only the leader pokes through the braid coils, a good thing.

The Carrot

carrot.png.34879fd469d3bdfccd3de3d5fc8464a3.png

The No Name (50# mono & 30# braid)...

no-name30.jpg.7ee6869a9deef6c0f2dc2894216745ca.jpg

Here's an FG I tied with no tension and used a reverse Uni ("Rizotto") to finish (NO half hitches used), 50# mono & 30# braid ...

20221124_091831.jpg.7f212eac039fe07d2f0a3a763ad92286.jpg

20 hours ago, BeachBob said:

From what I've seen on YouTube, the true Carrot knot uses a doubled braid for the twist around the leader that uses a figure 8 loop for the initial passage of the braid.  Like the No Name, the front of the Carrot knot is slim and only the leader pokes through the braid coils, a good thing.

The Carrot

carrot.png.34879fd469d3bdfccd3de3d5fc8464a3.png

The No Name (50# mono & 30# braid)...

no-name30.jpg.7ee6869a9deef6c0f2dc2894216745ca.jpg

Here's an FG I tied with no tension and used a reverse Uni ("Rizotto") to finish (NO half hitches used), 50# mono & 30# braid ...

20221124_091831.jpg.7f212eac039fe07d2f0a3a763ad92286.jpg

Can you so break test on improved alberto

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Can you DO break test on improved alberto

The Alberto and the Improved Alberto, along with the Albright are both very good knots that I've tested to at least 85%.  I won't use either because when the knot is completed the leader tag end points forward toward the rod guides, and that invites hang ups during casting.

I use a Palomar know when tying from braid to barrel swivel and have had great success with it holding on well. It is very easy to tie and takes up little line. 

9 mins ago, BeachBob said:

The Alberto and the Improved Alberto, along with the Albright are both very good knots that I've tested to at least 85%.  I won't use either because when the knot is completed the leader tag end points forward toward the rod guides, and that invites hang ups during casting.

I get your point but its still strong.  I rarely cast tag end thru guide.   I had a friend show me the fg and i just lost interest