hurricane1091

Best knot for braid?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

In agreement with ExcessiveAngler - spent a lot of time fishing flat open beaches for red drum.  17 lb mono and a 50 lb big game trilene shock leader. 4-5 foot from rod tip to rig , 10 ft rod and 2-3 turns around the spool - so probably 20-25 ft of shock leader.  Given the angle of the running line coming off the rod on a flatish beach that longer shock leader I think will pretty much solve your problem.  The longer leader also helps when the leader rubs across backs and tails when the fish takes off.

Braid to Swivel- Palomar

Braid to Leader- FG Knot (tricky at first but once you get a good routine its pretty simple)

Leader to Lure/Clip- Uni knot with two passes through the hook eye

Good luck out there!

Braid to barrel swivel- improved clinch but i tie it with a doubled line.  It does not break, ever.  Then, your choice of knot for the mono leader.  I've had braid/mono splices break on fish in the past so i avoid then. You can also keep spare leaders in your pocket so if you do break off you can get back in the game very quickly. 

1 hour ago, RWP said:

Nothing directed to you. Just discussion..

Ive learned these typically mean nothing in the real world for the average and above average anglers. Both knots have been used or used as part of a system for countless tuna, wahoo, all sharks, marlin, goliath grouper, stripers and blues, you name it. Pretty much everything! How we tie, hiw many wraps, etc always has an affect in the real world. Numbers crunching is fun though! Not knocking it... 

When tied properly and the rod/reel/drag are halfway decent for whatever your fighting against - matched to correct leaders, hooks plus the angler is not brand new to fishing and can fight a fish, in general... knot failure (of these 2 specifically) just shouldn't happen, IMO. 

If either of these are broken its too much heat/pressure on the tackle being used or improper tying.

These 2 knots are "legends", haha!

43 mins ago, Basswiper said:

Nothing directed to you. Just discussion..

Ive learned these typically mean nothing in the real world for the average and above average anglers. Both knots have been used or used as part of a system for countless tuna, wahoo, all sharks, marlin, goliath grouper, stripers and blues, you name it. Pretty much everything! How we tie, hiw many wraps, etc always has an affect in the real world. Numbers crunching is fun though! Not knocking it... 

When tied properly and the rod/reel/drag are halfway decent for whatever your fighting against - matched to correct leaders, hooks plus the angler is not brand new to fishing and can fight a fish, in general... knot failure (of these 2 specifically) just shouldn't happen, IMO. 

If either of these are broken its too much heat/pressure on the tackle being used or improper tying.

These 2 knots are "legends", haha!

I agree they are both great knots. Either one is a fine choice for braid.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

In agreement with ExcessiveAngler - spent a lot of time fishing flat open beaches for red drum.  17 lb mono and a 50 lb big game trilene shock leader. 4-5 foot from rod tip to rig , 10 ft rod and 2-3 turns around the spool - so probably 20-25 ft of shock leader.  Given the angle of the running line coming off the rod on a flatish beach that longer shock leader I think will pretty much solve your problem.  The longer leader also helps when the leader rubs across backs and tails when the fish takes off.

This^^^^. Mono from the rig to the spool. Makes casting better too -- no braid cuts. I'd use an FG for mono to braid.

Edited by Mike

I been experimenting here. I think a regular clinch with ten twists and lubed up before tieing seems to be the best but haven't been having issues lately.

signal-2022-10-22-07-58-53-978-1.jpg

PXL_20221020_230715315.jpg

PXL_20221017_002158002~2.jpg

10 Turn Uni… I use it when fishing for muskies, stripers, drum, all the way up to sharks. Never had a knot slip or fail with it. If I’m using leader I use a 7-10 turn alberto, 7-8 turns with 50-80 braid to 50-100 mono, and 8-10 with 15-40 braid and 6-40 pound mono/fluoro. Fast, easy to tie once you get it down, and not too hard to learn. I pass my braid through the mono/fluoro twice to three times, just in case the knot slips a little, so it has some wiggle room. Only two knots I use anymore.

My knot for braid for 30 years has been and will continue to be the Jansik Special. Has never failed me. When tied properly it has 100% knot strength. 

On 10/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, AH Perry said:

My knot for braid for 30 years has been and will continue to be the Jansik Special. Has never failed me. When tied properly it has 100% knot strength. 

The Jansik Special is an excellent knot.

However, I do not believe that there is such thing as a 100% knot.  They will all fail short of their actual line breaking strength because of the abrasion action of the line rubbing line within the structure of the knot.  A really good knot will always break at the juncture of the knot.  If any tied knot breaks before the knot itself, that's an anomaly and probably an issue with the line itself - particularly with braid as braid is too easily compromised, and many times that compromised spot will be hard to find.

jansik.png

5 mins ago, BeachBob said:

The Jansik Special is an excellent knot.

However, I do not believe that there is such thing as a 100% knot.  They will all fail short of their actual line breaking strength because of the abrasion action of the line rubbing line within the structure of the knot.  A really good knot will always break at the juncture of the knot.  If any tied knot breaks before the knot itself, that's an anomaly and probably an issue with the line itself - particularly with braid as braid is too easily compromised, and many times that compromised spot will be hard to find.

jansik.png

Gotcha, I believe you are correct. I just know that way back when, I was deciding which knot I would call mine.  I investigated knot strength and which ones stated that they provide 100% knot strength.  The Jansik and a few others all claimed 100%.  I'm sure what you say is technically true that there is no knot that can attain 100% knot strength when you take into account the mechanics of the knot itself.

double uni has not failed me. 30lb braid, 20 ln leader, 8 turns on the braid, 5 turns on the leader. if i tie em right, they wont seperate. use alberto knot sometimes when i need to work a bit quicker during a blitz etc. but it's less secure in my opinion leaving a larger tag end on the braid should equalize it 

The best knot I've used for braid to mono (main line to leader for a spinner, or main line to top shot for a revolver) in terms of the greatest knot strength is the FG and I can get it to break at the end of the knot every time at about 85% of the braid's rated strength. 

The FG knot is also the smallest and slimmest of all the braid to leader knots that I know of, and I've probably tied them all, or their variations, over the last 70+ years.  I can only correctly tie an FG when not fishing because it takes a bit of dexterity and time for me to get it right so that I can trust its reliability whence fishing. 

A leader knot that's not needed to go through the rod guides, and is easy to tie almost blindfolded, or in bad weather or seas, is a slightly modified Alberto, or a knot that I've recently developed that I call the OTB - overhand to braid.  A close second to these is a 6 turn surgeon knot.