hurricane1091

Best knot for braid?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Bunch of no nothing's down my way in bama so figure I'd ask the striper boys. Been down here chasing big reds and have had my braid fail multiple times on multiple rods. I thought it was old line, bad guides, etc but that's basically ruled out and I believe I'm fishing open beach but not 100%. I think it's slipping on a regular improved clinch but I just don't understand why, I've always used this knot and I've caught my share of big fish but ever since I moved down here and was chunking for 30-50# drum I've been having this. I was going to go SD jam but that would maybe slip too. Double Palomar maybe? Anyone got any theories? Can't be getting gifted this opportunities and blowing em.

Bluefish were around tonight so enjoy a pic of those. Those most certainly were not what was breaking me off. These were monster reds no doubt. I never even fought em, they ran for 10 seconds on super loose drag and broke me off. This isn't the first night it's happened but it needs to be the last lol.

PXL_20221012_013457036.jpg

Edited by hurricane1091

You will get 20 different answers, I've used an improved clinch knot with 12 turns forever with braid and I've never had the knot fail once. 

Yeah I been down this path before but I've gotta shoot the **** and spit ball it out a bit here and get convinced of something. I use junk kast king braid for what it's worth but it's brand new 30#. Brand new Penn Battle 6000. Drags loose as butter and everything shored up but I've lost a few now where it broke at the braid and something's gotta give, I have something wrong here. At the same time I've pulled it big sharks and jacks with the same braid type, same reel type, same everything. 40# red drum make your drag scream like no other but there's no way I should be breaking off like this

Ok -- braid to swivel/ hook = Palomar

Braid to mono/ fluoro = J-KNot.  Super strong & easy to tie.

Never had either one fail in over 15 years since switching over. Previously with uni's & clinches I had a few - specially uni to uni.

J-knot-4.jpeg

Always use a leader. I like the double uni for braid to leader. Alberto is good too but uni is more secure. That could be operator error on my part. For blues use a wire leader. I use a Palomar for that. I avoid swivels.

Posted (edited)

braid to mono.......Alberto, no worries.

Heavier mono to swivel....San Diego Jamb.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Cinch knot with braid- thread it through the eye 2x before tying a  7+ turn cinch.

12 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Yeah I been down this path before but I've gotta shoot the **** and spit ball it out a bit here and get convinced of something. I use junk kast king braid for what it's worth but it's brand new 30#. Brand new Penn Battle 6000. Drags loose as butter and everything shored up but I've lost a few now where it broke at the braid and something's gotta give, I have something wrong here. At the same time I've pulled it big sharks and jacks with the same braid type, same reel type, same everything. 40# red drum make your drag scream like no other but there's no way I should be breaking off like this

Are you using a leader or tying directly to braid?  

Are there any oyster beds around?

8 hours ago, bbfish said:

Are you using a leader or tying directly to braid?  

Are there any oyster beds around?

2' mono leader always if not longer. I was surf fishing there was a couple of pilings on the beach so *maybe* there was something out there I couldn't see. Only thing I can think of unless kast king has gone to total ****. 

Posted (edited)

On 10/12/2022 at 9:28 PM, hurricane1091 said:

2' mono leader always if not longer. I was surf fishing there was a couple of pilings on the beach so *maybe* there was something out there I couldn't see. Only thing I can think of unless kast king has gone to total ****. 

Well, if you’re only using a 2 ft length of mono to protect your braid, you’re going to have this happen repeatedly, over and over!

All you have to do is have that 2 feet sitting on the other side of a bar and it’s over!

If the surf is pounding and churning up, it’s absolutely going to nick your braid!

Even with regular currents, there are always all types of shells and debris being pushed around!

You only have to have your line scrape the bottom one time and have a nice fish grab it and it’s done, game over

The thinner the braid, the quicker it wears out!

If your casting out say 60-70 yards, your braid is laying on the bottom unless you have a 13-14  foot rod at least!

And that’s if your paying attention and making sure that the line is somewhat taut!

I refuse to use anything less than 40 pound braid in the surf and that’s going to a 65 to 100 pound braid leader thats at least 40 ft or more!

There’s lots and lots of sand bars up here in NJ!

I used to run into this problem all the time using to light of braid and not a long enough shock leader!

Ever since I changed things up, I have not had a problem since!

If you don’t believe me, next time you go, make sure you tighten up the braid and grab the braid with your hand and you will feel the shells and debris bouncing off your line!

I also like 4 strand braid for chunkin the surf!

I’d rather have 4 thicker strands than 8 tiny strands as the 4 strands are more abrasion resistant as far as I’m concerned and from my experiences in the surf!

I use a Uni to Uni for braid to braid, sometimes mono!

And use a knot that you can search up here that BeachBob recommended called the “leader blob” mainly for mono to mono, but also can be used with braid/mono connection as well!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler
Info

20 turn albright to splice braid to leader. 6 turn clinch in leader to snap/jig/hook.

I don't splice braid to leader if leader is below 30lb.

if below 30 i use uni to swivel, 6 turn clinch on either end of leader. 

I do NOT improve the clinch. 

Uni knot.  Quick and simple.  If you are using the slick version of braid strip off the slick coating 10" or so up the line before you tie -just run the line between your thumb nail and middle finger nail a few times.

Uni knot for braid to swivel. When tied correctly, a palomar knot does not fail. Neither does a uni knot and its less "hassle" no matter what you are tying it to. Just go through the eye of the swivel two times

Improved clinch for leader to swivel. Clinch knkt for leader to clip.