BrianBM

Fluorocarbon

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

A lot of complaints about Seaguar fluorocarbon fragility in the funny fish thread.

Is there a fluorocarbon that we regard as durable and reliable, not fragile?

I haven’t had issues with 20lb Seguar...but I think a lot of the complaints are regarding 15lb and less. The only two break offs I had this year involved albies running me into the rocks and cutting the braid...so in reality, no break offs directly related to the leader material I was using

I had particular trouble with the 15. I think it was blue label.

I lost 3 plugs on 3 consecutive casts setting the hook on hits.

That's more break offs than I had in 10 years using Ande 15 lb mono.

Posted (edited)

I haven’t had any issues with 12, 15, or 20 lb seagar blue label. But I fish a pretty light drag when I’m using 12 or 15. If I’m using 20, I buckle down a bit more. 

I hate knot tying knots with flouro  though

Edited by Pescador710

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Seaguar fluorocarbon fragility in the funny fish thread.

Hmmm, I've been using Seaguar flouro for years and can't say I've ever had issues with it.

I use Seaguar premier for my 40lb saltwater leaders. It's softer than regular seaguar so it's easier to tie knots. Tying palomar or other knots is a pain with regular Seaguar.

I use 15lb flouro leaders when fishing for funny fish from the beach. The only time I've ever had a problem with Seaguar is if I'm throwing a 1.25oz epoxy for hours on a 15lb leader. Once in a rare while the knot will fatigue and break. A 1.25oz lure gets close to the limit of the rule, a leader being 10X the weight of lure, ex 1.25 oz lure should be on a 12lb test leader. If I'm throwing 5/8, 7/8 or 1oz lures on 15lb test, never a problem no matter how aggressively I'm casting.

When I'm shore fishing the 'Chu, I use a 12lb flouro leader when I'm throwing .75 & 1 oz lures. I've never had a problem with the leader breaking prematurely. I bomb lures for hours up there so I'm definitely stressing the leader.

I also use 8lb Seaguar leaders on trout ponds when I'm throwing 1/2 oz lures. No problems there.

Edited by zak-striper

There has been enough long term users reporting being satisfied to suggest these anecdotes are some sort of QC issue rather than a brand wide problem. 

For myself, I'm 100% convinced my issue was the spool of leader material I had bought only an hour before. 

I may not be the best fisherman but I have been doing this a long time. My drag, my knots, my retrieve, my hook set, rod and reel, everything exactly the same for 30 years.

Nothing like that ever happened before. 

41 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Hmmm, I've been using Seaguar flouro for years and can't say I've ever had issues with it.

I use Seaguar premier for my 40lb saltwater leaders. It's softer than regular seaguar so it's easier to tie knots. Tying palomar or other knots is a pain with regular Seaguar.

I use 15lb flouro leaders when fishing for funny fish from the beach. The only time I've ever had a problem with Seaguar is if I'm throwing a 1.25oz epoxy for hours on a 15lb leader. Once in a rare while the knot will fatigue and break. A 1.25oz lure gets close to the limit of the rule, a leader being 10X the weight of lure, ex 1.25 oz lure should be on a 12lb test leader. If I'm throwing 5/8, 7/8 or 1oz lures on 15lb test, never a problem no matter how aggressively I'm casting.

When I'm shore fishing the 'Chu, I use a 12lb flouro leader when I'm throwing .75 & 1 oz lures. I've never had a problem with the leader breaking prematurely. I bomb lures for hours up there so I'm definitely stressing the leader.

I also use 8lb Seaguar leaders on trout ponds when I'm throwing 1/2 oz lures. No problems there.

That's what I'm referring to.

Fluoro doesn't stretch as much as Mono and once it stretches it doesn't rebound. So, if something hits hard enough where it surpasses the limited stretchability & breaking strength of your leader it's more likely to snap with Fluoro, especially if the leader has been previously stressed. Mono does stretch and rebound but isn't nearly as abrasion resistant as Fluoro so I find I have to change leaders more frequently if using Mono. I generally use Fluoro as I fish in areas with lots of structure but will sometimes use Mono in open water. 

As an aside, I had a 50# Fluoro leader snap at the clip this year as I was landing a decent sized fish. It was thrashing pretty good and once I removed the rod from the equation by grabbing the leader, a final big headshake was enough to part the line. I put that down to using that particular leader one too many times as it's never happened before. 

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

A lot of complaints about Seaguar fluorocarbon fragility in the funny fish thread.

Is there a fluorocarbon that we regard as durable and reliable, not fragile?

There's another possibility.  With people buying more from Amazon, and them having issues with counterfeit items, there's always the possibility that someone is selling knockoff Seguar fluoro.

I would think it's impossible, but of all things I bought some lens wipes a couple of  years back to keep on the boat for sunglasses.  They were a brand name (Zeiss).  Without my involvement, Amazon sent me an e-mail stating that they were refunding the wipes because they were found to be counterfeit.

There's always the possibility of a bad production run too, but ever since that point I get very wary of what I buy at Amazon.

I've long suspected flouro owes it's popularity to slick marketing and a successful advertising campaign, and not necessarily a superior product. 

Posted (edited)

good old pink ande mono, just make sure you match the diameters to what you used fluoro on, i.e. 25lb fluoro is same thickness as 20lb mono usually. 

To the main question a lot of people say good things about the yozuri hd leader

Edited by Snook_Slayr

9 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

good old pink ande mono, just make sure you match the diameters to what you used fluoro on, i.e. 25lb fluoro is same thickness as 20lb mono usually. 

Well said sir. Pink Ande was my go to leader material for decades. Cheap, tough as nails, and knots well.