The LongIsland angler

Best surf rod? CTS, ODM, Lamiglas, Century

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

25 mins ago, The LongIsland angler said:

I was very close to buying the 2nd generation genesis immediately after mine broke, but id rather take this as an opportunity to see what else is out there, I see a lot of surfcasters use total crap gear because they've never tried better.

Take a look at the nex1. I have had mine for 2 years and absolutely love it. Im going to have a couple new ones built this winter. I mostly fish the sand but do fish jetties and have dropped it, broke a guide once while trying to unhook a 16 inch eel I snagged lol. Rod still hasnt broken and its my main rod. If you are on li you could give mine a shot. It throws 3/4 ounce bucktails all the way up to 4 is the most I have thrown and it recovers nicely. 

Just now, Gfemminella said:

Take a look at the nex1. I have had mine for 2 years and absolutely love it. Im going to have a couple new ones built this winter. I mostly fish the sand but do fish jetties and have dropped it, broke a guide once while trying to unhook a 16 inch eel I snagged lol. Rod still hasnt broken and its my main rod. If you are on li you could give mine a shot. It throws 3/4 ounce bucktails all the way up to 4 is the most I have thrown and it recovers nicely. 

I would've gotten that or the Evolution but I'm a 2 piece rod guy.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Stripsettter said:

I’m loving my 11ft factory ODM genesis 3/4-4 and I’ve fished a lot of rods, customs GSBs, CTS S8, Legend surf, Loomis IMX. Rods break sometimes… a bad batch of blanks, a nick in the blank, etc. If you like the way the Genesis fished, give it another shot?

Do you fish in Boulder fields banging the rod against rocks or just the sand?

Edited by levari

9 hours ago, levari said:

How can you find out in a demo how long a rod is going to last in the Boulder fields?

How did you find out which rod you liked for boulder fields? Did they give you a loaner for a season? Let you drop it in the boulders? 

6 hours ago, levari said:

My legends are very durable…I still swim with my 11’ first gen which I purchased a decade ago…I found them extremely durable but of course you are entitled to your own view..

St. Croix is the only brand I’ve had fail. Three rods. I listened to reviews from people that have them. 

2 mins ago, plugchucker said:

How did you find out which rod you liked for boulder fields? Did they give you a loaner for a season? Let you drop it in the boulders? 

No, I talked to people that I can rely on their knowledge and experience..

8 mins ago, plugchucker said:

St. Croix is the only brand I’ve had fail. Three rods. I listened to reviews from people that have them. 

I guess I am extremely lucky..

17 mins ago, levari said:

No, I talked to people that I can rely on their knowledge and experience..

What do you think the OP is doing?

2 mins ago, plugchucker said:

What do you think the OP is doing?

He does not know you, me and most likely every poster in this thread. I talked to people that I know or fished next to them…That’s the difference…

Just now, levari said:

He does not know you, me and most likely every poster in this thread. I talked to people that I know or fished next to them…That’s the difference…

You’re right. You’re a pro. 

5 mins ago, plugchucker said:

Yup. I wouldn’t take a free St. Croix.

What do you mean by  free st Croix? They have probably over hundred models. Are all crap?

28 mins ago, GrahamN said:

+1 for the odm nex1 line .

Have the 9 footer and love it 

Going to build myself an 11 footer this winter 

its so good at so many styles its crazy. I personally liked mine better than my evo....so I sold the evo lol.