The LongIsland angler

Best surf rod? CTS, ODM, Lamiglas, Century

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

Recently I broke a 1-6 11' ODM genesis I built, it was a great rod but I'm looking for better and the unimpressive 1.5 year lifespan left a bitter taste in my mouth with ODM. I'm strongly considering a CTS vapor trail but I'd like to hear how it stacks up against other top brands. The durability of a Lamiglas is also appealing but I've never liked the floppier action they have. Anyone experienced with these brands have any advice?

Lamiglas' durability has come under some criticism lately. Billy40 (a custom rod builder) answered a question of mine in the Rod Building Forum by saying that no custom builder he knows uses Lami blanks anymore. century rods get a lot of love, but considering their cost, anyone who buys or builds one had damn well better love them.

Anyway, welcome to SOL, and be prepared for dozens of opinions, no two of which will agree with each other.  :)

5 mins ago, levari said:

Do you really think the other rods would have survived the way you broke your ODM?

yes I do, I have a 9' DNA I've been using for 4 years now which has seen much harsher treatment than the genesis and its still going strong. After I broke my rod I had quite a few people share their bad experiences with the older genesis blank

18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Lamiglas' durability has come under some criticism lately. Billy40 (a custom rod builder) answered a question of mine in the Rod Building Forum by saying that no custom builder he knows uses Lami blanks anymore. century rods get a lot of love, but considering their cost, anyone who buys or builds one had damn well better love them.

Anyway, welcome to SOL, and be prepared for dozens of opinions, no two of which will agree with each other.  :)

Thank you! I'm slowly starting to rule out brands, I can't find any suitable century blanks in stock either so they're out of the equation. Its really down to a CTS or another ODM, but I'm having trouble finding detailed information on the action/sensitivity/performance of the CTS vapor trail.

I have been throwing 5/6 oz hilo rigs with an 11 ft lami for a few years with no headaches … the lami is old and made in wash state … I’ve been throwing up to 3 oz on a cabellas 12 ft sea striker for at least 12 years with no issues … both rods are in my truck and are used at least twice a week including putting them on a field and throwing for distance … tackle longevity is critical to me … fish don’t know what name is on the rod … lol lol lol 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Billy40 (a custom rod builder) answered a question of mine in the Rod Building Forum by saying that no custom builder he knows uses Lami blanks anymore. century rods get a lot of love,

Did you talk to Al @Al Goldberg  about this?

It would be really interesting to hear his take on this subject.

27 mins ago, Decap said:

Century you get what you pay...

29 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Century Surf Machine Elite !!  

How often does century restock? most of their rods rated up to 5-6oz are out of stock

Posted (edited)

I only have experience with Lamiglas ( GSB models) and Century (Stealth and SS). They both make excellent surf rods. As to the durability of Lamis I can attest that they still make a very tough rod. I have been using both makers for many years. Most recently, I have been fishing with a new run, one piece, GSB 120 1L this season and it is their lighter ten footer but I have beat the crap out of it and it is still ticking. I have cast stuff over 3 oz. on it all the time, " high sticked" with it and have fallen down with it ( and on it) on rocks several times. I also tried to lift a 20 lb. fish out of the water and up an eight foot rocky bulk head but the line broke. Lastly, I use it on almost every trip as a wading staff along the rocky shores of RI. The rod is still going strong as of this writing and I am very impressed with it's durability and the function. I would buy another one tomorrow. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

My go to rods for the last 10 years have been Lami’s. A 9’ and 10’ Ron Arra and an eleven foot Super Surf built on a green blank.  All one piece. They have been used hard and they show it. But they are kinda like the energizer rabbit. They just keep going. And I know several people who swear by the older stock GSBs. Just my 2 cents. 
Mike

As a minor additional $0.02 of my own, I have a Century SS 1328. It is an earlier, pre-graphene model, fairly fast action, and accurately rated at 2-5 oz. However, it's a custom Al Goldberg, and that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, The LongIsland angler said:

How often does century restock? most of their rods rated up to 5-6oz are out of stock

You'll have to check their website

I buy the blanks and someone else build it for me.