ColdEye

Are there still kits floating for to make my Penn 710 bailless?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

A bit late to the party for this, I have a greenie 710 and was wondering, before I go the DIY route which I dont really want to do, are there still sources for these kits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I used a Mitchell PUM kit (manual pick-up) since the mid to late 60's. That's what I'd be looking for 

Edited by SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ColdEye said:

A bit late to the party for this, I have a greenie 710 and was wondering, before I go the DIY route which I dont really want to do, are there still sources for these kits?

Welcome to SOL.  Hit the tavern and tell us a joke. 

29 mins ago, SC said:

I used a Mitchell PUM kit (manual pick-up) since the mid to late 60's. That's what I'd be looking for 

@SC hit the nail on the head.

0633D669-02F2-4EEE-BE8E-3C18CEDE11BB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never found a need for a line roller on my 710.

Simply cut the bail wire off and grind what’s left until it’s smooth.

Never had a problem.

Works great.

Easy Peasy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SC said:

I used a Mitchell PUM kit (manual pick-up) since the mid to late 60's. That's what I'd be looking for 

Are they all the same? Specific kit model to look for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, D1fishr said:

Welcome to SOL.  Hit the tavern and tell us a joke. 

@SC hit the nail on the head.

0633D669-02F2-4EEE-BE8E-3C18CEDE11BB.jpeg

 

 

Looks sick, time to find a gold handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, ColdEye said:

 

 

Looks sick, time to find a gold handle.

Thank you. This is a 711 with a 705 handle. It’s a little bigger. 
 

 If you have a 710, try to get a 704 handle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColdEye said:

Are they all the same? Specific kit model to look for?

Yes the PUM kit for the #306 reel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2022 at 1:38 AM, ColdEye said:

A bit late to the party for this, I have a greenie 710 and was wondering, before I go the DIY route which I dont really want to do, are there still sources for these kits?

Pretty sure someone here did a tutorial on making a 710 bailless. 
 

It was a cut/grind. But it was also a non arm side of the rotor being weighted with a 712 nut maybe. Don’t recall.  You should be able to find with a search. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2022 at 9:37 AM, valentine said:

I never found a need for a line roller on my 710.

Simply cut the bail wire off and grind what’s left until it’s smooth.

Never had a problem.

Works great.

Easy Peasy !

This.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2022 at 9:37 AM, valentine said:

I never found a need for a line roller on my 710.

Simply cut the bail wire off and grind what’s left until it’s smooth.

Never had a problem.

Works great.

Easy Peasy !

True but you destroyed a good bail??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msrief said:

True but you destroyed a good bail??

I suppose it’s all  a matter of your perspective on what I did.
I choose to believe that I modified and improved it, not destroyed it.

I cut the wire off and smoothed/polished what was left so there were no rough edges.

Manual pickup gives much greater line control so you don’t have to close the bail in order  to stop line from flowing off the spool.

Replacement bails are still readily available should I ever want to restore the reel to the way it came from the factory.

Pretty sure I won’t be doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2022 at 1:38 AM, ColdEye said:

A bit late to the party for this, I have a greenie 710 and was wondering, before I go the DIY route which I dont really want to do, are there still sources for these kits?

Found the tutorial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2022 at 0:37 PM, valentine said:

I suppose it’s all  a matter of your perspective on what I did.
I choose to believe that I modified and improved it, not destroyed it.

I cut the wire off and smoothed/polished what was left so there were no rough edges.

Manual pickup gives much greater line control so you don’t have to close the bail in order  to stop line from flowing off the spool.

Replacement bails are still readily available should I ever want to restore the reel to the way it came from the factory.

Pretty sure I won’t be doing that.

As long as you are happy with your modification, that's all that matters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.