Bogey

Snapper (blue) fishing

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

This year in my area , LIS, I’ve noticed a lack of Snapper fisherman this fall. Could it be the 3 fish limit that is keeping them away or maybe it’s the size, very small this late in the fall, of the fish I’ve seen caught.

I haven’t seen too many people targeting snappers in lots of years.

When I was a kid and snapper fished in the 70’s every dock and sea wall had kids fishing for them.

The old timers would have little hibachi’s blazing away right in the parking lot so they could eat their catch immediately.

Its not like that anymore and I don’t really understand why except for the 3 fish limit.

I never kept or ate a snapper anyway.

They all got released to grow big.

I still enjoy catching snappers as much as ever, but now I’m getting old and I’m usually standing on the dock by myself.

Its rare to see young people fishing anymore and in the hundreds of hours I spent on the water this season I can only think of a handful of days when I saw a few kids making a day of fishing.

I’m not really sure why kids don’t fish anymore.

The fish are still there.

Fishing is still fun.

Its still a great feeling of accomplishment when you catch something.

I don’t get it.

Maybe they’d rather stay at home and text each other than get out in the fresh air and sunshine.

Seeing kids fishing when I was young was no big deal.

Perhaps parents don’t let their kids roam anymore.

I dunno, but kids still  need wholesome activities and what’s better than a bunch of neighborhood friends going snapper fishing?

5 mins ago, valentine said:

I haven’t seen too many people targeting snappers in lots of years.

When I was a kid and snapper fished in the 70’s every dock and sea wall had kids fishing for them.

The old timers would have little hibachi’s blazing away right in the parking lot so they could eat their catch immediately.

Its not like that anymore and I don’t really understand why except for the 3 fish limit.

I never kept or ate a snapper anyway.

They all got released to grow big.

I still enjoy catching snappers as much as ever, but now I’m getting old and I’m usually standing on the dock by myself.

Its rare to see young people fishing anymore and in the hundreds of hours I spent on the water this season I can only think of a handful of days when I saw a few kids making a day of fishing.

I’m not really sure why kids don’t fish anymore.

The fish are still there.

Fishing is still fun.

Its still a great feeling of accomplishment when you catch something.

I don’t get it.

Maybe they’d rather stay at home and text each other than get out in the fresh air and sunshine.

Seeing kids fishing when I was young was no big deal.

Perhaps parents don’t let their kids roam anymore.

I dunno, but kids still  need wholesome activities and what’s better than a bunch of neighborhood friends going snapper fishing?

im 16 and a lot of my friends fish with me. I definitely think parents are a big reason that kids my age don't fish as much. I have relaxed parents with it comes to outdoor stuff, but some of my friend's parents wont let them go anywhere unless they text back every 10 minutes. 

Technology has allowed kids to stave off boredom and get a feeling of accomplishment without leaving the house. Out of all my friends who don't fish, the common theme is strict overbearing mothers who wont let them have fun

I only fish with lures and I am happy to catch anything, so especially here in southern nj I have to fall back on catching bluefish if nothing else is around. Most of them are one pound or less most of the time. I didn't even know the bluefish rules changed. It had been no limit for so long, I just happened to walk past a notice board and saw the difference.

I haven't done it in a while, but I use to chase them with my 5 wgt or 6 wgt fly rod.  Just not worth the hour and a half drive down the shore.

They’re around, but I agree they’re not chased as aggressively. Still a great time with ultra light tackle under dock lights. 

1 hour ago, Surf bomber said:

Snappers on a six wt fly rod is just fun … what’s not to like ? Lol lol lol 

I agree love watching them chase the fly in the water.  Little fly killers. Lol

I noticed a drop in people targeting them. I think many have converted to Albie fishermen. Same goes for many scup fishermen. 

I also think a three fish limit makes it not worth targeting if you are looking to eat. Most people I saw targeting them would be filling buckets. You don't get much of a meal with three tiny snappers. 

It seems the numbers have dropped where I have been fishing. Not sure since no one is targeting including myself. 

3 hours ago, curran said:

im 16 and a lot of my friends fish with me. I definitely think parents are a big reason that kids my age don't fish as much. I have relaxed parents with it comes to outdoor stuff, but some of my friend's parents wont let them go anywhere unless they text back every 10 minutes. 

Technology has allowed kids to stave off boredom and get a feeling of accomplishment without leaving the house. Out of all my friends who don't fish, the common theme is strict overbearing mothers who wont let them have fun

Bit off topic.   But i don't care.  

You or your fishin friends need tackle??  I'm cleanin up and would love to send a box out for youths that fish. 

Wouldn't be immediate cause I'm a slow cleaner.   

11 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Bit off topic.   But i don't care.  

You or your fishin friends need tackle??  I'm cleanin up and would love to send a box out for youths that fish. 

Wouldn't be immediate cause I'm a slow cleaner.   

This right here, good on you bud! 

What I've noticed is not a lack of fishermen but a lack of fish.  Used to be snappers were a real nuisance come the middle of August.  Not this year.  Almost none in the surf.  Not a good omen for what's to come.

4 hours ago, curran said:

Technology has allowed kids to stave off boredom and get a feeling of accomplishment without leaving the house. Out of all my friends who don't fish, the common theme is strict overbearing mothers who wont let them have fun

I think crazy uptight parents are definitely a part of it. A couple years ago when I was in 10th grade I organized and founded my high schools fishing club with my history teacher. It was a great time, and I have a couple canoes and am a certified tackleholic so we were able to get a bunch of kids out on the water who had never fished before and it was great, but I was blown away by the number of panicking parents. There were like 15 different parents who would text their kid every 5 minutes to be sure they hadn’t drowned, and we had one lady who called the police because her kid didn’t text her for I kid you not like 20 minutes and she assumed that we’d all drowned. These kids would never have been allowed outside without their parents supervision, let alone been able to go fishing if it wasn’t a school sanctioned activity.

it was kind of eye opening seeing how these parents acted around their kids, my parents let me go into the woods and play with tools and get my hands dirty when I was young so it really surprised me.

it’s weird for me to talk about how kids were different back in my day because I was only born in 2001, but kids now seem to spend even less time outdoors than kids did when I was young. Idk if it’s technology or parents or a disconnect from nature or all of the above

1 min ago, PSegnatelli said:

Damm........  By 12 I was almost feral. :)

I sound like an old man but damn it’s crazy how quickly it changes. There’s a world of difference between me and even kids 5-10 years younger than me. It’s almost hard to believe.

when I was young my younger brother and I loved to go explore in the woods behind our house or ride our bikes down to the stream to catch brookies on homemade rods made out of sticks and line we found in the bushes and homemade flies.
Compare that to my youngest brother and his friends and all they do is sit inside and play on iPads