sams

Tog Timne?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone been chasing tog in Buzzards Bay yet?  I'm thinking of heading down to give it a shot Sunday.  It should be getting pretty close, but I'm not sure that we are there yet.

sam

Sam,

Water temp has started sliding, especially over past few days, we're going to be right in the zone for the next month. Fishing from shore, as usual started with more smaller fish with a few small legal size in mix. Expecting better average size now with water temp & inshore migration.

Been having some good one started 2 weeks ago. Yesterday was a good day. It'll get better until the water gets too cold.

looks like the temps are starting to slide into the 50s. It seems lots of areas are between 58-61 so o bet its picking up quick and only gonna get better

Thanks for the updates.  I'm going to spend Saturday hanging from trees and Sunday on the water.  If all goes well it will be surf and turf for Sunday dinner.

sam

On 10/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, sams said:

Has anyone been chasing tog in Buzzards Bay yet?  I'm thinking of heading down to give it a shot Sunday.  It should be getting pretty close, but I'm not sure that we are there yet.

sam

Been getting pretty easy limits just west of Buzz Bay (off Westport) and it usually starts earlier in Buzzards Bay. To give you an idea of how the water temps are, we got our first "fall, inshore cod" of the season today....

Good Luck!

100622dave.JPG

100722mike.JPG

I went Saturday.  The tide wasn't good in the area I fished.  I found no life in the usual areas from 25 to 40 feet.  I moved to a shallow area with more current and I ended up getting small fish in 12 to 18 feet.  Nothing big.

I fished Sunday pretty far up into Buzzards Bay in way more wind than I would have liked.  There were plenty of tog on the spots I fished, but all short.  Water temp was 63, so maybe it need another week or so for the big ones the get settled in.

sam 

12 hours ago, sams said:

I fished Sunday pretty far up into Buzzards Bay in way more wind than I would have liked.  There were plenty of tog on the spots I fished, but all short.  Water temp was 63, so maybe it need another week or so for the big ones the get settled in.

sam 

Area I fish was much further south and in open ocean. Water was a little under 60. Keepers were all over + shorts. They are around. Go find them deeper.

11 hours ago, foxfai said:

Area I fish was much further south and in open ocean. Water was a little under 60. Keepers were all over + shorts. They are around. Go find them deeper.

I would typically keep working my way out of the bay into deeper water, but the wind on Sunday was a not going to allow that in a 21' center console.  Just getting around Wing's Neck was enough of a struggle.

sam

7 straight days of togging with only Saturday seeing a slow bite.

Full/easy limits all the other days with many double digit monsta's and two 26 inch/12 pound critters as well!

Weathered out today and tomorrow...

10092226dp.JPG

10092226inch.JPG

100922bob.JPG

100922cathy.JPG

100922ralph.JPG

101022dan.JPG

101122nils26.JPG

101122chriscod.JPG

101122bill.JPG

101222andy.JPG

101222ron.JPG

101222dalton.JPG

13 hours ago, ermghoti said:

Snuck a cod in there too. Buzzard's Bay is South of Cape Cod for bag limit/season purposes?

Yes. We are allowed 5 cod/person/day (22-28 inches). But we never really catch that many, except in the summer on Coxes Ledge.....

Pretty work there Capt!  Those are some monsters.  Hopefully they have moved up inside and I will get a chance to get after them before they leave.

sam