The TideRunner

Have our lakes and ponds started filling up?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Some pf the lakes and ponds I fish average only about 10 ft deep, and with our drought conditions this year, 10ft was wishful thinking. Most turned into a swamp by early June. With the past few days rain, does anyone think our shallow lakes and ponds have begun to fill back up, . With the dropping water temps I'm hoping the LMB start of put the feedbag on. Recorded water temps as high as 80 this past summer. It's time to go fishing again.Given the cold front coming this weekend, I'm not holding out hope for great conditions. But barring high winds I will be going.

Anyone been giving the bass a try?

Yep, we have quite a deficit to overcome. I thought that 5-6" rainday we had last month would help and it did, but not enough to make up for the hot dry summer. 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:48 PM, t_man7 said:

No water is still immensely low, as much as 15ft on my local reservoir in town.

I know of one local reservoir that is overflowing. It's a feeder reservoir to a much larger one, and the dam must be closed. I have sump pumps protecting my house, and my sump well has been bone dry for months now. Even with all the recent rain. Not a drop. There is no ground water. My yard is hard as a rock.

I'm going to give the fishing a try tomorrow, at one of the shallow lakes. Weeds should be down. But launching even a 14 footer is going to be a pan in the butt.

I am hoping the low water and O2 levels may have killed off some of the fish. It's a CT Trophy Bass Lake, but it has become severely stockpiled.

Still fun to fish though. And of course the first time I'm able to get out in four weeks, and a cold front moves in. But...It's October and the bass should be hungry!!