Sandeel paddle tail teasers

Rate this topic

cec127

19 mins ago, theshadow said:

Nice idea.Nothing ventured nothing gained.Maybe a second wrap to secure the tail?

I was thinking that or putting the nose of the paddle tail through the hook with super glue then have the cord/tub over top.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:26 PM, cec127 said:

Saw this on instagram. They look awesome! Thinking about giving it a try. I’m not the greatest fly tying guy out there. Mainly just standard teasers and surf candy’s. Anyone here make something similar? Curious how well they hold up. 

5426DC00-AFA7-4013-A791-5B925BD25CCF.jpeg

Food for thought on that hybrid teaser:

I was working a teaser rig two weekends ago. It was a ray’s fly style teaser in front of the smallest magdarter. Then I was trailing it behind off of the back hook hanger of the MD to try to look like a smaller baitfish following a bigger one. 

I tried the MD with and without the teaser in front and trailing. Then I tried with a bare fly tying hook and the smallest size zoom fluke. They’re tiny. Tried the same combinations. 

The soft rubber just weighs so much more or it has so much more drag that it was really affecting the small MD way more than I ever would’ve expected. (Both in front on a dropper and trailing behind.)

I assume it’s no problem for a metal lip or needlefish and obviously for tins, but I never thought that tiny Zoom fluke would be such a drag on a small plastic swimmer. 

The ray’s fly was no problem even for that tiny magdarter no matter where I put it. 

On 10/5/2022 at 1:26 PM, cec127 said:

Saw this on instagram. They look awesome! Thinking about giving it a try. I’m not the greatest fly tying guy out there. Mainly just standard teasers and surf candy’s. Anyone here make something similar? Curious how well they hold up. 

5426DC00-AFA7-4013-A791-5B925BD25CCF.jpeg

Awesome find & idea. Keep It Simple Stupid ... they'll only catch a few fish, I guess ... before they'll need refurbishment. But they only really need to catch one ... a Big One! Thanks for the post.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

7 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Great idea, I may be missing the point; but couldn’t you just throw a light plastic on a hook opposed to spending the extra time to tie the fly?

You definitely could and I have done something similar using a small slugo as a teaser. I feel like with the tubing the teaser will be longer and imitate a sandeel much better.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:32 AM, turkaholic said:

Got throughly frustrated one night with bass snubbing my beautiful flies. Came back with these and had fish on every cast. Not very proud of this but the results were eye opening.

9B9F797B-575B-45DA-9B10-E1F8B82A9B04.jpeg

I have old school RedGills that are actually smaller than above. Albies love them but are difficult to cast.

Got throughly frustrated one night with bass snubbing my beautiful flies. Came back with these and had fish on every cast. Not very proud of this but the results were eye opening.

Delta in U.K in believe still makes a 50mm redgill knock off and red gill made one that was 1/2 the size of the 4 inch one.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:42 AM, derekh said:

Delta in U.K in believe still makes a 50mm redgill knock off and red gill made one that was 1/2 the size of the 4 inch one.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, derekh said:

I ment to type eddystone delta eels

I've used and caught on both. Still have a bunch. Deadly when Rainzbait present but not good casters.

Little 1.jpg

Edited by XBMX

Ironnicly a man from Conn. came into the shop in Chatham[N.C.O.] brousing around for about 20 mins.A couple of us were bs-ing due to it being dead.He came to the counter and asked if we had any Red Gills hidden anywhere."Sorry" sir No but we all have a stash of them at home.He said" I do too but my stash is getting down so everywhere I go I cruise every tackle shop I come across no matter what state I'm in.

The mini white/pearl/blue tint ones are great for the albies after the hook is changed out.

Edited by theshadow

• 2 weeks later...