JimKu

Roberts Lures, Rangers

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I saw a recent post stating they were using Roberts Rangers to catch stripers. I have use roberts or a knock off for a long time primarily for bluefish. I had one in green which I lost and the one I have now is red. I typically use it to search for bluefish since it casts a mile. I don't remember ever catching a striper on it. Wondering if there's a color or specific type of roberts to catch both blues and stripers. Maybe a different retrieve?

I usually just real it in on top of the water. 

So what robert do you use? What color? Weight? Retrieve?

Checked out their web site. Getting pricey. So what isn't these days?

There is no rule other than experiment. Keep changing until a strike is triggered then replete. Stripers seem to be lazy and favor slower stop/start retrieves often striking motionless lures. Floating poppers with long bucktail dressed tail hooks will often entice Stripers to react. Find em with the Roberts get them to eat with a Floating Popper.

I agree with the idea to experiment with what you have first.  If buying new, I'd try a blue and white or red and white Roberts Whistler.  Largest size is smaller and lighter than the largest Ranger. These lures can also be repainted to whatever color or pattern you want.  Can also affix reflective tape in red, blue, silver, gold, etc...  Let it fly out there, and keep it at or quickly bring it to surface, start retrieve fast and splashy for the first ~10ft to get their attention, let it flutter a bit then stay put, slow from then on in with an occasional jerk or splash.

12 hours ago, wrboz said:

Not an expert, but I think the presentation counts for a lot more than the color!

Exactly...fast moving top water plug color is moot point. Great searching plug, by it's nature I've caught way more blues than stripers with it.

I’ve used them (and the knockoffs), never caught on it. These new in package are cool though. 

13EDCE0A-3974-4746-AE49-CB802FDE23E4.jpeg

4C17834F-7B31-4364-ADEA-3EB4CA9BB41A.jpeg

3 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

I’ve used them (and the knockoffs), never caught on it. These new in package are cool though. 

13EDCE0A-3974-4746-AE49-CB802FDE23E4.jpeg

4C17834F-7B31-4364-ADEA-3EB4CA9BB41A.jpeg

Try them on bluefish. They cast waaay further than any other top plugs.  Get them to the surface asap, slow down a bit once you feel the tension has changed.  You'll want single hooks on those. Treble hooks with 3 points all inside the blues mouth is not fun.

fish it fast & with the rod tip high -- do not jerk/ pump. It's designed as a skipping lure. Does well with blues. jacks, roosters, etc. on top not so much stripers.  Similar to a GT Ice Cream which cast even further than a Ranger/ Whistler/ Bounder.

Careful if you replace hooks & if you replace hooks or put a rings/swivel/ ring on the back as the hook may catch your line.