jjdbike

SV & sear - small London Broil?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some input here. An acquaintance gave us a small piece of London Broil. He raises steers and shared a few odds and ends w/ us. This is more of an experiment or trial run than anything else. 

I'd like to try to rub & Sous Vide till nearly to temp, then touch up rub and sear all sides over white hot coals, or cast iron.

I may pound it a bit w/ tenderizing hammer. I'm looking to tenderize and retain moisture, while maximizing flavor.

Anyone here do anything like this? Any suggestions for time & temp?

If I like how it turned out, I'll try it w/ a larger piece for guests.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Presume this cut is top round although might be flank. SV 130 for  20 hours.  If it’s actually a tender cut already 1.5-2 hours but 20-24 hours will make a tougher cut like top or eye round very tender at 20-24 hours.  128 if very rare, 130 pretty rare.  Safe temperature for hours is said to be minimum 130 but never had a problem at 128

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jim,

It looks more like top round. I’ll tenderize it w/ hammer first. I’m shooting for 133 (wife won’t eat rare), then sear the heck out of it directly over screaming hot coals (Vortex). My guess is it may take it to medium rare to medium. 
Sound about right?

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Time in SV will tenderize it better than a beating and it will be done to temperature edge to edge.  Only takes a minute to sear it, turn it frequently, like 15-20 seconds.  135-138 probably med-rare to medium I think.  Haven’t cooked beef medium but works on pork.  
I don’t think pounding makes sense unless you cut the meat into scallopine

3 hours ago, JimW said:

Time in SV will tenderize it better than a beating and it will be done to temperature edge to edge.  Only takes a minute to sear it, turn it frequently, like 15-20 seconds.  135-138 probably med-rare to medium I think.  Haven’t cooked beef medium but works on pork.  
I don’t think pounding makes sense unless you cut the meat into scallopine

Thank you again Jim. I also have a flank steak. Could I do these together, simultaneously in the same vessel?

JD

Never done flank but as long as you’re happy with same end temperature should be fine

I run london broil @ 130* for 24 hours. I season with just salt. pepper wont get the penetration into the meat enough imo. Then a quick sear @ 700* to give it some color. It will be tender. But dont expect the flavor of a well marbleized ribeye ;)