trackspace

Casco Bay Sturgeon?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've spent a fair amount of time on Casco Bay over the last three or four years and this is the first year I can remember in that span where I haven't seen the occasional sturgeon breaching in the Bay.  We've always seen them between Fort Gorges and Mackworth Island all the way out to the power plant, but not a single one this year.  Was I not paying enough attention or are they maybe moving on from this area?  

Edited by trackspace

54 mins ago, trackspace said:

I've spent a fair amount of time on Casco Bay over the last three or four years and this is the first year I can remember in that span where I haven't seen the occasional sturgeon breaching in the Bay.  We've always seen them between Fort Gorges and Mackworth Island all the way out to the power plant, but not a single one this year.  Was I not paying enough attention or are they maybe moving on from this area?  

I spent a bit of time out in Scarborough, and one night I counted about a dozen jumps.   However, I fished a bit by the power plant, and didn't see a single jump this year, and that was odd.

There are tons in the Scarborough river mouths and I would see them every time at camp Ellis in Saco jumping in the bay. 

earlier this season I had 3 trips in a row where I either hooked or snagged one with a bucktail. Got one in to leader before I was able to wiggle the hook out, the other two were impossible to turn in the river and the sea weed eventually put enough bow in the line for them to shake the hook. 
The first one was fun, but after that it’s a major let down when you think you just hooked into a huge cow and then it just drags your line out inch by inch like a big log in the current. 

Never thought of them as a menace. Used to fish some bars you’d cross at night and find em in the shallows. That’s when you knew not to drag a bucktail in because you were gonna foul hook them. Otherwise I think it’s fun. You walk up to a spot and everyone’s excited to tell you about the big stripers they saw jumping in the surf. You’re out fishing a jetty and a six footer breaches in your face, refreshing. 

Thanks all for the info.  Glad to see they're still around, I guess I just need more time on the water. (Don't we all?)

Almost triple digits above martins point bridge each tide I fished. Mixed in among the bass in the mud. 

12 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

Never thought of them as a menace. Used to fish some bars you’d cross at night and find em in the shallows. That’s when you knew not to drag a bucktail in because you were gonna foul hook them. Otherwise I think it’s fun. You walk up to a spot and everyone’s excited to tell you about the big stripers they saw jumping in the surf. You’re out fishing a jetty and a six footer breaches in your face, refreshing. 

I just hate dealing with them, but they’re undoubtedly very cool. 

Most of the ones I’ve seen up close have been in the 3-6 foot range. I know they get much bigger than that though. Anyone ever see a real giant up here?

My buddy and I were fishing a beach, about 6 feet of water. We had one about 8 foot come out of the water next us.