HYB_Living

Dive Knife Belt Attachment Insight

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I've recently stumbled across some photos on the forum, specifically in the large surf belt thread (one of my favorites by the way),  and social media of a dive knife belt attachment that aids in having the dive knife handle lowered by a few inches for easier access and less obstruction on ones surf belt. I believe the commercial term for this is called a dangler and I'm aware ebbpoint and flatlander have made some here and there but don't necessarily continue to do so frequently. I'm not really a big fan of the open ended clips that's usually on the back of these knives but mostly just looking to lower the handle by a few inches on my belt. For reference I also carry a Wenoka squeeze and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for one of these or has some insight on them.  

IMG_2118 (3).jpg

I had old manly pliers sheaths laying around. Took the open bracket, bent it and reinserted it into the sheath so it was a closed bracket. Then cut off the velcro strap. Take the dive knife, remove the knife mounting bracket and screws, shove the knife (with sheath) into the repurposed manly sheath and locate the screw holes. Use a pick or hot wire to open holes in the manly sheath to accept the screws. Place the bracket on the back of the manley sheath and screw it in. 

Works great. I have a different knife than you do. 

Could also just get the speedy stitcher out and a couple strips of 2 inch webbing and just recreate what you have pictured here however low you want it. 

Using a "dangler" in my opinion makes removing and replacing the knife more difficult as the location and connection is "fluid". I found mounting the knife perpendicular to the belt moved the knife further away (from me) so the sheath didn't dig into my side/hip/back and allowed for instant removal and safer replacement as the chance of cutting/slicing yourself has been removed

I modified this dive knife sheath to fit on my actual dive belt spearfishing. It brings the handle to the top of your belt but needed an additional loop sewn on to fit the width of my belt. If your belt would fit through the existing loop it'd do exactly what you want. I broke the knife and have since switched to a different option. You will not lose your knife with this sheath though.

Rob-Allen-X-Blade-2-Knife-510x287.jpeg

19 hours ago, Joe Paranee said:

I carry all my fixed blades horizontal crossdraw so i can draw with either hand fast 

58224904-C18A-4D06-8F18-D0AA63CB8305.jpe

Same, my primary dive knife is zip tied horizontal to my belt. Easiest way I’ve found to access it quickly. 

I’m using a dark star surfcasting sheath for my aqualung squeeze lock.  Made from sailcloth, great quality and able to take a beating. 

A7EBCCE5-46EE-4913-B887-5E5EA9662F7C.jpeg

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, MainelySmallies said:

Same, my primary dive knife is zip tied horizontal to my belt. Easiest way I’ve found to access it quickly. 

For surf I am carrying a spyderco fishhunter 

8DB0EFF1-9CFE-4085-8D64-D5367908C620.jpe

rigged just like my edc for horizontal carry using a Velcro strip wrapped around belt very secure and holds knife close to centerline 

AE8F1173_E8EC_4B29_BED8_81F501ABBE75.jpe A483A3D7_E368_40C5_8C3F_F6FA7F09A23B.jpe A4FADC13_9BAA_4AF0_925E_C3CD77192875.jpe

for boat fishing i carry one of these horizontal as well in the same place. I always carry in the same place edc and any other activity 

61C8B409-4CD0-4758-93FD-BA99FCDEB7B6.jpe

Edited by Joe Paranee

I have been debating adding a second knife on my setup as I now use a 2 point harness with my belt. Adding a small knife onto one of the shoulder straps so that it can be easily reached with either hand would be a good safety measure I should have in place (both from a redundancy point of view and in case I am twisted in such a way that I can't reach my belt/hip carried knife).

1 hour ago, FallenKell said:

I have been debating adding a second knife on my setup as I now use a 2 point harness with my belt. Adding a small knife onto one of the shoulder straps so that it can be easily reached with either hand would be a good safety measure I should have in place (both from a redundancy point of view and in case I am twisted in such a way that I can't reach my belt/hip carried knife).

We have a lot of lobster pots and abandoned rope up here so I’m paranoid about dropping my knife in a situation in which I need it. I carry a super small backup dive knife attached to my arm rather than the belt (in case I need to ditch the belt). Weighs nothing and makes me feel better.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can get a Kydex sheath made (or make one yourself) in whatever orientation you’d like. The competition pistol world also has a bunch of adjustable hangers for things exactly like this. 

On 10/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, HYB_Living said:

I've recently stumbled across some photos on the forum, specifically in the large surf belt thread (one of my favorites by the way),  and social media of a dive knife belt attachment that aids in having the dive knife handle lowered by a few inches for easier access and less obstruction on ones surf belt. I believe the commercial term for this is called a dangler and I'm aware ebbpoint and flatlander have made some here and there but don't necessarily continue to do so frequently. I'm not really a big fan of the open ended clips that's usually on the back of these knives but mostly just looking to lower the handle by a few inches on my belt. For reference I also carry a Wenoka squeeze and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for one of these or has some insight on them.  

IMG_2118 (3).jpg

did you try contacting Flatlander over FB? I was able to get this same attachment from him pretty quickly. He's usually very good at responding to messages despite being very busy.

A lot of good information, I have reached out to some of the custom bag creators after some research so it looks like this is a bit more common than I thought. Dark Star surfcasting makes a really nice one for $25 so I'll probably go down that route or configure some DIY attachment. 

For any aqualung or wenoka dive knife owners, what screws do ya'll use for the 2 empty screw holes? Mine didn't come with any and I'm not exactly trying to go down the metal screw route to save myself from any cutting on my waders/wetsuit