PurpelNoon

Conventional rod as a spinning

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I've had a Lamiglas 9 foot surf and jetty rod (GSB1081M) made as a conventional set up a few years ago and I never used it. Ive stuck to spinning. The stripper guide on it is wide enough to accommodate a spinning reel with braid. My question is, if the spine on the rod was positioned for use with a conventional reel and guides up, can I still use it with a spinning reel or am I going to have issues? Thanks.

Posted (edited)

The blank doesn't care which way is bent.

Spine is irreverent. When you hook a fish it doesn't only bend the rod in the direction that the rod was built. It pulls left, right, etc.

Edited by RWP

OK I didn't know that . I thought the rod would twist and cause an issue. So is spining a rod more for casting purposes? 

The only real answer is to try it.  The more and smaller guides may inhibit your casting distance depending on the reel.  Take for a test drive in the park :)

3 hours ago, PurpelNoon said:

I've had a Lamiglas 9 foot surf and jetty rod (GSB1081M) made as a conventional set up a few years ago and I never used it. Ive stuck to spinning. The stripper guide on it is wide enough to accommodate a spinning reel with braid. My question is, if the spine on the rod was positioned for use with a conventional reel and guides up, can I still use it with a spinning reel or am I going to have issues? Thanks.

I had to use an old 10'6" St. Croix Premier Conventional last year for Spinning from the surf because I have nothing else. It was a one piece. Biggest Bass was 40lb class and it's no problem. Maybe if it was a 100lb fish with max drag then maybe you would get a twist. 2 piece would be really noticeable.  To be honest about St. Croix and many other manufacturers they won't spine or spline a rod. When I build I will do it. 

Works fine for me, only issue is I have to ‘choke up’ on the long handle.

19 mins ago, cheech said:

Works fine for me, only issue is I have to ‘choke up’ on the long handle.

What do you mean by that? 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, PurpelNoon said:

Likely where the striper guide is placed and or how small it be.

If the spinner is too big the coils coming off the spool are too agressively choked up on a cast.

Otherwise, its a rod. Itll work.  A casting rod on a whim offers more utility as a spinner can be used.  But not the other way round.  Cant really use a casting reel on a spinner.

This is why on larger rods 9ft+, having dual rung guides are great.

Edited by EricL

I’ve used many a conventional rod with spinner……but have also run into problems if stripper guides on conventional are too small or too close to reel seat…..

8 hours ago, EricL said:

Likely where the striper guide is placed and or how small it be.

If the spinner is too big the coils coming off the spool are too agressively choked up on a cast.

Otherwise, its a rod. Itll work.  A casting rod on a whim offers more utility as a spinner can be used.  But not the other way round.  Cant really use a casting reel on a spinner.

This is why on larger rods 9ft+, having dual rung guides are great.

Thanks. I got it. Fortunately the striper guide is of about the same diameter as the one on my St Croix MOJO. I'm using braid so I feel more confident than if I was using mono with bigger line curling. 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, PurpelNoon said:

Conventional rod butts are so long, I choke up on the butt when using one with a spinning reel.

Casting reels work fine on  spinning rods for me, (pic) but obversely, their butts are too short.

D89C337A-6C60-42F4-BB8F-F99EBC52C1C5.jpeg

Edited by cheech