Madfish

F150 Electric on sand

119 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:
12 hours ago, Carlezon said:

like I've said in the past.. if they were as great as said .. which maybe in a few instances they are but .....

The military would be embracing them No? if there truly that great ... Yes electric motors are extremely 

efficient but its relative to the big picture and combinations of environments and functions  ...Mechanical Electrical  Chemical Thermal Hydro Pneumatic Nuclear theres a reason why there all used .. 

As someone who's worked for the DoD in an engineering design capacity - they're not exactly quick when it comes to adapting new technologies to the tactical fleet.  They've been investigating using hybrids for quite some time, because of the flexibility advantages they'd have in the field.  We owe a great deal of our military superiority to our nuclear program (not just weapons).  A roll up tactical base with the ability to generate it's own electricity whether through portable nuclear or renewable generation would be a **** ton more effective than relying on heavy gasoline or batteries.

From a non-tactical perspective they're looking at EVs the way the rest of US commercial fleets are.

Neither is really comparable to use in a recreational setting.  You'll run out of ways to count why something is feasible for personal use and not up to mil spec.

Understood....When the fusion riddle is finally figured out and perfected the "green energy's" will be nothing but a dirty hand me down .. 

5 mins ago, Carlezon said:

Understood....When the fusion riddle is finally figured out and perfected the "green energy's" will be nothing but a dirty hand me down .. 

If it's realized at the assumed full potential - sure, it would basically render all other methods of generating energy obsolete.

But - will that happen in your lifetime or mine?  Maybe not.  And when it does happen - because we're nowhere close to making it a commercial reality today, it could easily come with a bunch of restrictions that make it less than practical or nowhere near the panacea we hoped it would be.

In the meanwhile - and for the foreseeable future, a mixture of nuclear fission and renewable energy are the best options we have, for our economy, our national security and our environment.

28 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

If it's realized at the assumed full potential - sure, it would basically render all other methods of generating energy obsolete.

But - will that happen in your lifetime or mine?  Maybe not.  And when it does happen - because we're nowhere close to making it a commercial reality today, it could easily come with a bunch of restrictions that make it less than practical or nowhere near the panacea we hoped it would be.

In the meanwhile - and for the foreseeable future, a mixture of nuclear fission and renewable energy are the best options we have, for our economy, our national security and our environment.

Well not  sure on a time frame ...but i have a sneeking suspicion things are progressing  with fusion .. In my view combustibles aren't going anywhere anytime soon as much as has been touted ... renewables will play a role for sure.. its just stating the obvious.. thats where their steering this thing towards ..time will tell.. 

59 mins ago, Carlezon said:

Well not  sure on a time frame ...but i have a sneeking suspicion things are progressing  with fusion .. In my view combustibles aren't going anywhere anytime soon as much as has been touted ... renewables will play a role for sure.. its just stating the obvious.. thats where their steering this thing towards ..time will tell.. 

I think I'd temper the expectations from your sneaking suspicion.  The good news is that nuclear fusion went from a hypothetical pipe dream about a decade ago to enough sustained success in very short bursts in a lab to qualify for significant funding towards research and development.

In the meanwhile - renewables have exceeded expectations to the point where 10% of the world's energy generation is now renewable.  Current forecasts for a commercially viable fusion reactor are 2040 and beyond.  Meanwhile, IEA is expecting that by 2026, the supply from renewables globally will have increased by 60%.  Given how deployment has outpaced forecasts in this space, it's likely we'll have at least 30% of the world's energy supplied by renewables by 2030.

If we can get some of the more recent enhancements in nuclear fission generation like small modular reactors to deploy additional capacity to offset fossil fuels, we'll have done great work to protect the country against energy supply disruption as well as reduced carbon emissions and hopefully kept the cost of energy manageable.

8 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

I think I'd temper the expectations from your sneaking suspicion.  The good news is that nuclear fusion went from a hypothetical pipe dream about a decade ago to enough sustained success in very short bursts in a lab to qualify for significant funding towards research and development.

In the meanwhile - renewables have exceeded expectations to the point where 10% of the world's energy generation is now renewable.  Current forecasts for a commercially viable fusion reactor are 2040 and beyond.  Meanwhile, IEA is expecting that by 2026, the supply from renewables globally will have increased by 60%.  Given how deployment has outpaced forecasts in this space, it's likely we'll have at least 30% of the world's energy supplied by renewables by 2030.

If we can get some of the more recent enhancements in nuclear fission generation like small modular reactors to deploy additional capacity to offset fossil fuels, we'll have done great work to protect the country against energy supply disruption as well as reduced carbon emissions and hopefully kept the cost of energy manageable.

Time will tell ..

3 hours ago, Carlezon said:

Time will tell ..

Time has already told.  Renewables already had a very aggressive forecast set for them in the past few years and year over year they exceeded them by a wide margin.

People need to put aside their political nonsense and see clearly for once - this is something that will benefit the US.  It'll remove the need to engage in useless wars to protect energy supplies.  It'll make obsolete the need to cozy up with dictators or send foreign aid to countries that we wouldn't associate with in any way save for to secure our energy.  We can start to build these devices in this country, create jobs and make a more stable and resilient energy supply, which includes keeping prices controlled.  And we can do it for generations to come, so that even if it didn't impact us in our lifetimes, our children, grandchildren and beyond won't have to worry about dwindling fossil fuel supplies.

16 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Time has already told.  Renewables already had a very aggressive forecast set for them in the past few years and year over year they exceeded them by a wide margin.

People need to put aside their political nonsense and see clearly for once - this is something that will benefit the US.  It'll remove the need to engage in useless wars to protect energy supplies.  It'll make obsolete the need to cozy up with dictators or send foreign aid to countries that we wouldn't associate with in any way save for to secure our energy.  We can start to build these devices in this country, create jobs and make a more stable and resilient energy supply, which includes keeping prices controlled.  And we can do it for generations to come, so that even if it didn't impact us in our lifetimes, our children, grandchildren and beyond won't have to worry about dwindling fossil fuel supplies.

No not really... friend of mine's wife just had to have an EV worst piece of junk ever and the price was just as ridiculous hours and hours to charge ..in the winter its just a worthless  POS constantly runs out of charge at varying rates  leaving them stranded its a joke ..where are all these used up out dated panels  going ? by the Tens of thousands and wind mills and batteries they keep touting the batteries are "rebuildable" really where ? Nuke power for the masses and grid agreed  the rest Meh 

Of course it has an aggressive forecast thats what their pushing for an agenda its big business its nothing more then cleanest dirty **** in the dirty laundry basket and actually the straight EV came in worst then the IC engine the hybrid was first as far as least carbon Ft print if your a "climate changer" ..I can purchase a used one ton truck for 15k and beat the crap out of it for years ..where's the battery equivalent ? and whats the price ? tens of thousands of dollars i could buy a cheap house for what it would cost .. this grid  along with the business models of all the different industries is absolutely not even remotely close to switching to renewables .. never mind cold weather climates and spread out  country areas .. we have endless hydro but no can't use that .. BTW Russia China India ect ect ect ect 

not on board ...the 60% supply globally?  really where? 

11 hours ago, Carlezon said:

No not really... friend of mine's wife just had to have an EV worst piece of junk ever and the price was just as ridiculous hours and hours to charge ..in the winter its just a worthless  POS constantly runs out of charge at varying rates  leaving them stranded its a joke ..where are all these used up out dated panels  going ? by the Tens of thousands and wind mills and batteries they keep touting the batteries are "rebuildable" really where ? Nuke power for the masses and grid agreed  the rest Meh 

Of course it has an aggressive forecast thats what their pushing for an agenda its big business its nothing more then cleanest dirty **** in the dirty laundry basket and actually the straight EV came in worst then the IC engine the hybrid was first as far as least carbon Ft print if your a "climate changer" ..I can purchase a used one ton truck for 15k and beat the crap out of it for years ..where's the battery equivalent ? and whats the price ? tens of thousands of dollars i could buy a cheap house for what it would cost .. this grid  along with the business models of all the different industries is absolutely not even remotely close to switching to renewables .. never mind cold weather climates and spread out  country areas .. we have endless hydro but no can't use that .. BTW Russia China India ect ect ect ect 

not on board ...the 60% supply globally?  really where? 

LOL - like I said - it sounds like you swallowed the idiot box whole.  From the made up story about a 'friend's wife' whose EV is a piece of crap stranding her constantly to variably running out of charge all the time because of differences in temperature.

Not the way it works - and you started off wrong there, and went completely off the rails about energy.  Where are all the 'used' panels going?  They have a 25 year minimum lifespan, and they're recycleable.  The batteries 'rebuildable' - whatever hell that was supposed to mean. They're going to be recycled as well - and the battery technology will continue to evolve as production comes to scale.  China and Brazil of all places managed to place 1st and 3rd for renewables.

About the only thing you came close to being right about was used cars.  And that should be painfully obvious to anyone with a clue - PEVs are relatively new and haven't been made in large numbers until the past couple of years, so finding a used one is a challenge.  That's going to change as production increases as well, obviously.

Here's an idea - stick to something you know about.  Not sure what that is, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with cars, energy generation or transmission, EVs, or renewable energy.   Maybe pick up a book and do some reading instead of getting your information from talk radio, because it shows.

7 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

LOL - like I said - it sounds like you swallowed the idiot box whole.  From the made up story about a 'friend's wife' whose EV is a piece of crap stranding her constantly to variably running out of charge all the time because of differences in temperature.

Not the way it works - and you started off wrong there, and went completely off the rails about energy.  Where are all the 'used' panels going?  They have a 25 year minimum lifespan, and they're recycleable.  The batteries 'rebuildable' - whatever hell that was supposed to mean. They're going to be recycled as well - and the battery technology will continue to evolve as production comes to scale.  China and Brazil of all places managed to place 1st and 3rd for renewables.

About the only thing you came close to being right about was used cars.  And that should be painfully obvious to anyone with a clue - PEVs are relatively new and haven't been made in large numbers until the past couple of years, so finding a used one is a challenge.  That's going to change as production increases as well, obviously.

Here's an idea - stick to something you know about.  Not sure what that is, but it sure as hell has nothing to do with cars, energy generation or transmission, EVs, or renewable energy.   Maybe pick up a book and do some reading instead of getting your information from talk radio, because it shows.

LOL made up story ? my friend wishes it was a made up story worst investment ever !! shows your complete ignorance your idiot index just went through the roof..  try running an EV when its minus 20below out geunis and see how long the charge will last.. its a  complete POS much like you and your accusation ..and you've managed to skate around the issue leaving out the other realities of "renewables"  ...  Date oct 2020 "Millions of toxic solar panels that  CAN'T   be recycled destined for land fills" .. you must of forgot those millions  Mr expert ?

" Last year China   >>alone<<  1.5 million tons of "recyclable" "renewables"  were pushed into land fills" never mind what is being put in the oceans ... "Recycling batteries needs to be profitable and if its not is when serious environmental consequences and issues arise". which has been happening until of recent.. Heres an idea take your own advise.. your ignorance and stupidity of where things really are is not a good look for you and it shows ... your dismissed  

On 10/5/2022 at 9:46 AM, Capt Buck said:

23116747_10208647108009747_3076701500541558405_o_10208647108009747.jpg

23116916_10208647108129750_2391884881566172926_o_10208647108129750.jpg

23157316_10208647108289754_961707273033249434_o_10208647108289754.jpg

23172419_10208647108729765_5487161853520768141_n_10208647108729765.jpg

Is that last picture Harry Aiken?   And what shop was that?  Old Inlet before moving to the current location?

On 10/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, Carlezon said:

LOL made up story ? my friend wishes it was a made up story worst investment ever !! shows your complete ignorance your idiot index just went through the roof..  try running an EV when its minus 20below out geunis and see how long the charge will last.. its a  complete POS much like you and your accusation ..and you've managed to skate around the issue leaving out the other realities of "renewables"  ...  Date oct 2020 "Millions of toxic solar panels that  CAN'T   be recycled destined for land fills" .. you must of forgot those millions  Mr expert ?

" Last year China   >>alone<<  1.5 million tons of "recyclable" "renewables"  were pushed into land fills" never mind what is being put in the oceans ... "Recycling batteries needs to be profitable and if its not is when serious environmental consequences and issues arise". which has been happening until of recent.. Heres an idea take your own advise.. your ignorance and stupidity of where things really are is not a good look for you and it shows ... your dismissed  

Why am I not surprised the guy who can't write a proper line of English has no clue about this topic either?  Here's a hint - if you're trying to insult someone's intelligence, don't misspell 'genius'.

Running an EV at 20 below?  That's odd - doesn't seem like the kind of thing that affects most of the US, but hey - whatever imaginary climate you're running in, you do you.

I've been using my EV almost a year - works like a charm.  My brother's had one almost as long as Tesla's been making them.  Not even close to the number of issues he's had with ICE cars that came before.  They definitely use more energy at the temperature extremes, but at no point is anyone who isn't running the Iditarod or who's capable of telling how much charge their cell phone has left in it at risk of getting stuck as a result.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Why am I not surprised the guy who can't write a proper line of English has no clue about this topic either?  Here's a hint - if you're trying to insult someone's intelligence, don't misspell 'genius'.

Running an EV at 20 below?  That's odd - doesn't seem like the kind of thing that affects most of the US, but hey - whatever imaginary climate you're running in, you do you.

I've been using my EV almost a year - works like a charm.  My brother's had one almost as long as Tesla's been making them.  Not even close to the number of issues he's had with ICE cars that came before.  They definitely use more energy at the temperature extremes, but at no point is anyone who isn't running the Iditarod or who's capable of telling how much charge their cell phone has left in it at risk of getting stuck as a result.

LOL blah blah blah ok Mrs webster ... Imaginary climate now your really making yourself look like a fool come up to Maine for a winter or matter of fact any of the how many states across the northern US ha imaginary climate.. loon ...zero to 20below happens a-lot and often .. Cmon now don't be making up stories like you accused me of now thats rich!! ..And now all of a sudden they use more energy at extreme temps you can't seem to make up your mind goal post here goal post there .. and nope again the speed of the charge failing in cold weather changes drastically it DOSN'T respond evenly the more charge that it looses the quicker  and more rapidly it looses it ... 

Edited by Carlezon