F150 Electric on sand

Madfish

1 min ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

It's a fair point, but I think the 20% increase in the Lightning's weight over the ICE equivalent is probably more than made up for by the torque curve difference on the electric motor vs the ICE.

The one thing I thought, having seen and driven the truck but not owned it or driven it on a beach - the stock tires don't look to have anywhere near an aggressive enough tread for someone who plans on doing a lot of beach driving.

Funny, cuz I've found that the rounder tires are better on the sand. The aggressive tread (Goodyear T/A for example) digs into the sand more whereas the rounder tires float on top better, even at 35 lbs air. 

1 min ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

It's a fair point, but I think the 20% increase in the Lightning's weight over the ICE equivalent is probably more than made up for by the torque curve difference on the electric motor vs the ICE.

The one thing I thought, having seen and driven the truck but not owned it or driven it on a beach - the stock tires don't look to have anywhere near an aggressive enough tread for someone who plans on doing a lot of beach driving.

The thing about beach driving is an aggressive tread doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. It’s the weight of the truck and how much footprint the tires can get on the sand. Granted the softness of the sand and how rutted out the beach makes a difference in how easy it is to drive on it but it’s not like driving through mud or snow where an aggressive tire will make a noticeable difference. That’s just what I’ve noticed though 

10 mins ago, Madfish said:

That doesn't look like very soft or deep sand, compared to our beaches. California kids stuff. 

My point about the comparison with towing was just noting that didn't look like a very heavy load. When I've got a small boat on the back of my truck, it doesn't take much effort to accelerate on the roads, certainly less than driving on the sand, which I would have to assume will translate to more drain. Could be wrong. Would like to hear from someone that's actually done it.  

Good point about the torque. Might need a trolling valve!

Haven't driven Pismo Beach myself, but the sand in that video (in particular where he gets stuck) doesn't seem to be much different from the south shore of LI to me.

In my experience across multiple vehicles, when I've had to drive on a beach I've seen my gas range drop by about 50% (I've had bluetooth vehicle monitors on my car for awhile now and I collect all sorts of stats when I'm doing stupid things).  Granted, I air down most of the time, in part because I'm running an SUV and not a pickup.  By virtue of the increased surface area of the tires and friction, you'd expect a significant decline in range either way.  I don't think I'd run an EV truck without airing down first.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

4 mins ago, riggler said:

I dont disagree with what you are saying but i have seen plenty of 3/4 ton suburbans loaded up to the gills and 1 ton diesel pickups on the beach as well as slide in campers, and for that matter full blown motorhomes....when aired down and driven correctly they do a decent job on the beach, thought lighter is definitely more nimble

That is a very good point lol. I guess it depends on what you’re trying to do. I like a lighter truck because I’m hopping on the beach for a few hours after work to catch a tide a few nights a week and then going home. Rather than airing down and settling in for a few days 

1 min ago, bobbymoore said:

The thing about beach driving is an aggressive tread doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. It’s the weight of the truck and how much footprint the tires can get on the sand. Granted the softness of the sand and how rutted out the beach makes a difference in how easy it is to drive on it but it’s not like driving through mud or snow where an aggressive tire will make a noticeable difference. That’s just what I’ve noticed though 

It was a long ass time ago, but when I was just out of college I spent a few months on an assignment in Florida and did a lot of beach driving in New Smyrna.  Not so much for fishing, just general youthful stupidity.  If you want soft sand, that was it - the place was practically quicksand, not sure if it was a geographic feature or a function of how much the beaches there were driven on.  At that time, I had to switch tires on my old Blazer because I was getting stuck, and a local garage there recommended a much more aggressive tread than the one I was running (which was loud at **** on pavement).  That was a shop that knew their beach driving, and I'll give them this much, I didn't get stuck.  Could just as easily have been my experience/confidence improving though.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

3 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

It was a long ass time ago, but when I was just out of college I spent a few months on an assignment in Florida and did a lot of beach driving in New Smyrna.  Not so much for fishing, just general youthful stupidity.  If you want soft sand, that was it - the place was practically quicksand, not sure if it was a geographic feature or a function of how much the beaches there were driven on.  At that time, I had to switch tires on my old Blazer because I was getting stuck, and a local garage there recommended a much more aggressive tread than the one I was running (which was loud at **** on pavement).  That was a shop that knew their beach driving, and I'll give them this much, I didn't get stuck.  Could just as easily have been my experience/confidence improving though.

Interesting… I just switched out my tires for a less aggressive tread and they seem to me at least to drive better on sand. Were they bigger than your original ones? If they had a bigger footprint that would make the difference. Beach driving is so much about confidence though lol just like fishing 

3 mins ago, bobbymoore said:

Interesting… I just switched out my tires for a less aggressive tread and they seem to me at least to drive better on sand. Were they bigger than your original ones? If they had a bigger footprint that would make the difference. Beach driving is so much about confidence though lol just like fishing 

No, same rims and nominally same size tires.  The one thing I don't remember and was probably true, given how broke I was at the time, was how much tread was left on the old tires.  Knowing young me, I might have been driving around on bald tires so anything new would be an improvement.

17 mins ago, riggler said:

all the old timers I knew as a kid told me the best beach tire was a bald one.... with a little air as possible....and if you ever saw what they drove you`d know they practice what they preach....

That probably has some merit to it - I've never seen Wheel-eez with treads and they seem to do just fine.

I just picked up my new 2022 F250. 
Great truck for the beach. 
I told the salesman maybe next time three years from now I’ll be ordering a F150 Lighting. 
He told me you better order it now there is a waiting list. 
Watching that video of the Rivian it might be kind of tough driving on the soft sands of Long Beach Island, New Jersey. 
I live on the island so charging should not be a problem. 
I will see if the F150 Lighting improves any.  

Stupid should hurt! Really were is the charging station on the beach?

How bad is it going to be when that sucker gets caught in water? 

Like no one here has ever had that happen.

Want to go green? Buy a gas truck, every single part is recyclable!

Now figure out how much oil was burnt to mine the ore, transport and refine to make the battery's.

Were are the batter's going to go when they wear out? How expensive is a new battery?

What are you going to do with that truck once that happens? 

Smoke and Mirrors 

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956

19 mins ago, CapeDave said:

Stupid should hurt! Really were is the charging station on the beach?

How bad is it going to be when that sucker gets caught in water? 

Like no one here has ever had that happen.

Want to go green? Buy a gas truck, every single part is recyclable!

Now figure out how much oil was burnt to mine the ore, transport and refine to make the battery's.

Were are the batter's going to go when they wear out? How expensive is a new battery?

What are you going to do with that truck once that happens? 

Smoke and Mirrors 

Wow !!!!!!

Your angry this morning lol

4 mins ago, reel em in said:

Wow !!!!!!

Your angry this morning lol

No, just common sense.

Some just do not have it, or refuse to look behind the curtain.

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956

Im not spending that money on a beach truck. Not gonna have spilled gulp..cut bait.. fish smell ..wet gear..in a 100,000 vehicle.  Anyway ...If I had that type of money ..its going towards a boat.LOL

Men with ropes around there necks don't always hang