Madfish

F150 Electric on sand

108 posts in this topic

Has anyone used a lightning as a beach buggy yet? What kind of range do those batteries get under the load of beach driving? 

I really hope my 2019 RAM will be my last gasoline powered truck, but I am skeptical of the batteries and beach driving. 

I go with the rivian if i was going electric. Adjustable ride height suspension and true 4 wd. I know im showing the suv review, but it is a shared platform with their pickup.

Be warned however, it does come from the land o flakes....CA.

Is the F150 not "true 4 wd"? 

3 hours ago, Capt Buck said:

I just watched this a couple days ago, might be some answers here

This is about what I was predicting. I'd guess that 4x4 on sand is even more draining than that towing capacity. 

3 hours ago, riggler said:

I go with the rivian if i was going electric. Adjustable ride height suspension and true 4 wd. I know im showing the suv review, but it is a shared platform with their pickup.

Be warned however, it does come from the land o flakes....CA.

The prices of the Rivians are absurd. $92K for the truck with quad motor large battery with AT tires. They are also extremely heavy. 
The Lightning Pro is much cheaper but has less range. Again I think the weight would be the only potential issue with beach driving. 

23 mins ago, Madfish said:

Is the F150 not "true 4 wd"? 

This is about what I was predicting. I'd guess that 4x4 on sand is even more draining than that towing capacity. 

It's absolutely true 4WD - two dual motors that power the front and rear.

The range question is a good one, but not sure why you think that beach driving would be more of a drain than towing.  I would imagine that just like in a gas vehicle, they're about the same.  Unlike towing though, your distance driven on sand is going to be minimal, whereas you're going the full distance from A to B with your tow load.

I've had a deposit down on the F150 and the Chevy Silverado for awhile now, the first one to get to me wins.  

Im pretty sure the rivian has 4 wheel motors....I do know the thing is awesome rock crawling for a big stock vehicle

That doesn't look like very soft or deep sand, compared to our beaches. California kids stuff. 

My point about the comparison with towing was just noting that didn't look like a very heavy load. When I've got a small boat on the back of my truck, it doesn't take much effort to accelerate on the roads, certainly less than driving on the sand, which I would have to assume will translate to more drain. Could be wrong. Would like to hear from someone that's actually done it.  

Good point about the torque. Might need a trolling valve!

5 mins ago, riggler said:

Im pretty sure the rivian has 4 wheel motors....I do know the thing is awesome rock crawling for a big stock vehicle

It does, as opposed to the 2 (front and back) motors on the F150.  Which would certainly give it the advantage, but I don't think that necessarily leaves the F150 at a disadvantage when it comes to offroading or wet road performance.  It still has a rear locking differential to keep the imbalance of torque from digging you in.

More than anything I’d be concerned about the weight of an electric truck. I drive a Tacoma and that weighs about 4000lb give or take, a gas f150 weighs 5000lb give or take but a Rivian weighs about 7300lb and a lighting weights 6000lb and change. When driving on sand the goal is to float ontop of it. The more weight, the more it’ll dig in. I’m sure it’ll work on sand but it’ll have to work a lot harder, if you’re traveling to fish and driving on the beach that could be an issue. 

1 min ago, bobbymoore said:

More than anything I’d be concerned about the weight of an electric truck. I drive a Tacoma and that weighs about 4000lb give or take, a gas f150 weighs 5000lb give or take but a Rivian weighs about 7300lb and a lighting weights 6000lb and change. When driving on sand the goal is to float ontop of it. The more weight, the more it’ll dig in. I’m sure it’ll work on sand but it’ll have to work a lot harder, if you’re traveling to fish and driving on the beach that could be an issue. 

It's a fair point, but I think the 20% increase in the Lightning's weight over the ICE equivalent is probably more than made up for by the torque curve difference on the electric motor vs the ICE.

The one thing I thought, having seen and driven the truck but not owned it or driven it on a beach - the stock tires don't look to have anywhere near an aggressive enough tread for someone who plans on doing a lot of beach driving.

Now THAT is interesting...hadn't realized the weight difference is that much....gonna need wide tires or major air-down I bet.

In three years with my Ram 1500 with the 20" rims and low-profile tires I have only had to air down once driving on our beaches here on eastern LI. 

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, bobbymoore said:

I dont disagree with what you are saying but i have seen plenty of 3/4 ton suburbans loaded up to the gills and 1 ton diesel pickups on the beach as well as slide in campers, and for that matter full blown motorhomes....when aired down and driven correctly they do a decent job on the beach, thought lighter is definitely more nimble

Edited by riggler