Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheech

Long Island Sounds’ infamous plastic disks

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Many thousands of these got washed out of the Westchester County Mamaroneck, NY Wastewater TP in 2011. I still see them occasionally; have you seen any floating or on a beach?

3478CF82-03F1-486F-9989-80AC33D8FB21.jpeg

I've seen them on the beach. What the heck are they? Always thought they were part of a shotgun shell....

1 hour ago, brushfly said:

I've seen them on the beach. What the heck are they? Always thought they were part of a shotgun shell....

I was told they are used to scrub out the intakes on the plant.

3 hours ago, brushfly said:

I believe they are used as a filter medium whereby bacteria grows on them (beneficial bacteria). I use them in a fish tank biological filter that I home built for my 90 gallon freshwater tank. 

8 hours ago, jim11787 said:

I believe they are used as a filter medium whereby bacteria grows on them (beneficial bacteria). I use them in a fish tank biological filter that I home built for my 90 gallon freshwater tank. 

We have a winner!!!!  Bio Medium fgor a sewage plant!!

We had them at the nearby treatment plant in Rye, NY as well. They filled the base a huge ‘smoke’ type stack that was part of an air scrubber. A constant shower of odor cancelling chemicals rained down on the plastic media as the smelly air passed through. The wagon wheel design provided a huge surface area. 

2 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Looks like a great plug tube insert divider for small tins, epoxies and small buckies.

Not really. They are the size of a dime or nickel.