BillyBallGame

Tuna Fishing San Fran area

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm going to be in San Fran next week. Keep hearing about all of this crazy topwater tuna fishing on the other coast. Is this typically happening around Southern California or are there charters running out of SF for jig and pop tuna? Is this a good time of year for them? Any charter recs?  

Don't recall hearing of inshore tuna, more the long range boats around San Diego. I would like to try the Halibut bite there.

Traditionally NORCAL boats target Albacore Tuna in the late summer, early fall, but I read that some very large Pacific Bluefin have showed up in those schools over the past couple years.  Most of the time that involves a pretty long run-- 30 to 100 miles to find the temperature break, and the seas up there can be horrible.  With fuel prices in California, I don't even want to think about the cost.  But I did read of some very large fish showing up in Half Moon Bay just 10 miles off the beach.  I think you'll probably have to go to more of a WC oriented website than SOL to get info on that fishery.  Maybe ask on the West Coast forum here.  

If you’re on Instagram look at TankerCitySF…not sure how they’re catching em, but he’s on bluefin. I think he said 30-40 miles off so not “inshore”, but not like running to the canyons. Never fished on the boat so  this is not a recommendation, just what I’ve seen posted on the always reliable social media!

All the stuff I see is running out of San Diego.  Some of the boats are pretty small so can't be that far out.  

Posted (edited)

A handful of bold operators have been getting 100-180 pound bluefin running out of SF Bay, but that's very much the exception. Actually getting aboard one of these exploratory trips would be pretty difficult.

Further north, Fort Bragg, California has had an exceptional [and historic] mix of albacore, bigeye, bluefin, and even yellowfin. There are a handful of charter operations running out of that small port. Good luck getting a seat with the uproar about that bite.

Being realistic means heading to San Diego; large port, tons of 6-pack charters, numerous large party boats, and amazing long range boats, very consistent fishing, pretty good weather [important!], and an infrastructure that makes it comparatively simple.

However, the historic fishing action means even San Diego trips will require some advance planning and reservations.

**Edit: just saw that you specified "jig and pop"; San Diego is 500 miles south of San Francisco, but San Diego is where you will have that opportunity. 

Edited by Tunanorth

Maybe call California Dawn (out of Berkeley Marina,  i think, just across the bridge from San Francisco)  i saw this post today

36CE4E1D-FEA0-46F0-9C6C-7795DB03CA80.jpeg

22 mins ago, jon_elc said:

Maybe call California Dawn (out of Berkeley Marina,  i think, just across the bridge from San Francisco)  i saw this post today

36CE4E1D-FEA0-46F0-9C6C-7795DB03CA80.jpeg

Ha-Ha, yes, that is owner/Captain James Smith.

He is the "bold operator" I was speaking of. 

His phone has been "melting down" since that highly exploratory "crew only" trip. 

As noted, it will be close to impossible to get aboard even if he does decide to do a run.

When people call him about tuna trips, he refers them to the San Diego fleet.  

Posted (edited)

NorCal seems to be mostly trolling mackerel or trolling high speed like the Nomads.  One of my buddies has been doing it in Monterey Bay, but the bite is dying down and moving north.  Bodega Bay, north of SF had a bite going on not too long ago.  Check with the boats when you get here.  A new school may have moved up so you never know.

Oh, and if you didn't know, there is a West Coast Forum here.  Post for more up to date info in there.  You'll get more fruits and nuts responding.  

Edited by put_em_back