Newport Striper

10' 1-Piece Rod Blank Suggestions

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

After fishing both the stock GSB10MS (1 piece) and GSB101MS (2 piece) the past few years I'm looking to order a 1 piece blank for a custom rod. My local rod builder said the quality of GSBs has gone downhill in recent years and that I should check ODM and Century. Century intrigues me the most but it seems all of their blanks are 2 piece. ODM has 2 options for 1 piece blanks - the Evolution & Nex1. The rod will be paired with a VSX200, 1-5oz weight range is ideal, and durability is key as it will face abuse on the rocks. I love the parabolic bend on the GSB so am looking for a similar taper. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

29 mins ago, Newport Striper said:

After fishing both the stock GSB10MS (1 piece) and GSB101MS (2 piece) the past few years I'm looking to order a 1 piece blank for a custom rod. My local rod builder said the quality of GSBs has gone downhill in recent years and that I should check ODM and Century. Century intrigues me the most but it seems all of their blanks are 2 piece. ODM has 2 options for 1 piece blanks - the Evolution & Nex1. The rod will be paired with a VSX200, 1-5oz weight range is ideal, and durability is key as it will face abuse on the rocks. I love the parabolic bend on the GSB so am looking for a similar taper. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Does your local rod builder have any gsb blanks?

I’ve been using an ODM 10’ nex-1 1-5 for the last year paired with a vs200 and I like it alot. It’s a thin blank which concerned me at first but it holds up. It’s definitely parabolic but has enough backbone to turn a fish, I’ve caught up to low 30lb fish on it and handles them perfectly, can’t speak for anything bigger though. It’s a super sensitive blank, the feedback you get from your plug is unlike any other rod I’ve used. The weight range is 1-5 but I’d say more like 3/4-4 realistically and 4oz is tough on it but it can do it. It’s sweet spot is 1.5-3. Overall im very happy with it and I’d recommend it. Granted I’m fishing Long Island south shore and north shore, not montauk during a nor’easter so take that with a grain of salt. 

Posted (edited)

Owning a few 1 piece blanks, NEX1 included, I find myself using my rewrapped LB1206 Fenny and Lami 10L when I fish a 10’ spinning stick on NJ beaches and jetties.  It’s a confidence thing, and the NEX1 feels brittle and thin.  I just never got used to it. It’s nice and light, casts great, great sensitivity, but I am a bit of an old soul. 

Edited by D1fishr

13 mins ago, Richizzzle said:

The current GSB1201M blanks are fine. If thats the feel you like I would stick with it.

Nothing wrong with a Lami 10M!

8 mins ago, bobbymoore said:

I’ve been using an ODM 10’ nex-1 1-5 for the last year paired with a vs200 and I like it alot. It’s a thin blank which concerned me at first but it holds up. It’s definitely parabolic but has enough backbone to turn a fish, I’ve caught up to low 30lb fish on it and handles them perfectly, can’t speak for anything bigger though. It’s a super sensitive blank, the feedback you get from your plug is unlike any other rod I’ve used. The weight range is 1-5 but I’d say more like 3/4-4 realistically and 4oz is tough on it but it can do it. It’s sweet spot is 1.5-3. Overall im very happy with it and I’d recommend it. Granted I’m fishing Long Island south shore and north shore, not montauk during a nor’easter so take that with a grain of salt. 

Agreed, but I just haven’t fell in love… 

Don't worry about Century being 2 piece.

Your builder could glue it into a 1 piece, in fact could do that with any multi-piece rod.....

The old lamiglas blank is fine, but what about the company support and warranty?  If they change around, great, but at current state, I would think twice.

Liking my NEX1 1-5 after 6mo. Feel confident with it on the rocks. Agree on sweet spot 3/4-3. 4-5 is gonna be a lob. 

Not muck choice as you already know. 
Nex 1 maybe your best choice.

Hard to get the one piece Lami’s, always my go to rods.

2 hours ago, Richizzzle said:

The current GSB1201M blanks are fine. If thats the feel you like I would stick with it.

The current GSBs have not been as durable for me. Had the tip snap off which is why I'm looking for a new rod. This model is also rated to 2-5oz and doesn't do well below 2oz so I'm hoping for something that can handle the lower end of a 1-5oz range as well.

Just now, Newport Striper said:

The current GSBs have not been as durable for me. Had the tip snap off which is why I'm looking for a new rod. This model is also rated to 2-5oz and doesn't do well below 2oz so I'm hoping for something that can handle the lower end of a 1-5oz range as well.

Yep. I have two 11M Lamis. One old, it’s a tank. Another I bought from someone here missing about 2” from a tip break. I fished it for a while, ripped it apart, now it’s being built as a 10’10” convench. 

4 mins ago, Newport Striper said:

How much tip did you loose? 10L or 10M?

2 mins ago, D1fishr said:

How much tip did you loose? 10L or 10M?

10M and about 2 inches off the tip. Still able to fish with it but realistically it needs to get cut down. Kinda forced to fish with it as I don't want to miss out on what's been a hot bite