bob_G

Salty strikes again

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Gotta give ol Salty credit, he's no fair weather fisherman.  This morning wind is blowing a gale, water is the color of cappuccino.  He effortlessly nails two decent size fish right in front of me in the span of a half hour.     You're a better man than I am Gunga Din 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Gotta give ol Salty credit, he's no fair weather fisherman.  This morning wind is blowing a gale, water is the color of cappuccino.  He effortlessly nails two decent size fish right in front of me in the span of a half hour.     You're a better man than I am Gunga Din 

maybe he's using the right bait.......

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

You should start him a YouTube channel

1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

☆/Salty the Striper Slayer/☆

'smash that LIKE button'

'sub for more HOT seal on bass action'

1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

10 mins ago, rst3 said:

☆/Salty the Striper Slayer/☆

'smash that LIKE button'

'sub for more HOT seal on bass action'

Don't forget the facebook "Saltys Fishing Cape Cod Hotspots" page.

We can all go bash salty for keeping both undersized and large breeders and his crappy fileting skills

I've been watching Salty and his buddies all summer and here's something I've noticed.

About 80% of the fish they catch are a mere 50 yards or less off the rocks. Regardless of whether the tide is ripping east or west, the seal can simply dive, and return to the surface with a nice healthy fish.

Some might say say, well they're catching previously caught fish, which are tired. But today, and several times in the past, there was no one fishing. The seals were casually catching healthy 35" fish 25 yards off the rocks.

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

I've been watching Salty and his buddies all summer and here's something I've noticed.

About 80% of the fish they catch are a mere 50 yards or less off the rocks. Regardless of whether the tide is ripping east or west, the seal can simply dive, and return to the surface with a nice healthy fish.

Some might say say, well they're catching previously caught fish, which are tired. But today, and several times in the past, there was no one fishing. The seals were casually catching healthy 35" fish 25 yards off the rocks.

I’m not super surprised by that.  Think of how productive flies, bombers, and other poor casting lures can be.  Plus it’s easier to ambush a bass close to shore, then in more open water.

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Plus it’s easier to ambush a bass close to shore, then in more open water.

They could be herding them into shore then nabbing them as they run out of space to dodge.

4 mins ago, ermghoti said:

They could be herding them into shore then nabbing them as they run out of space to dodge.

Yup, I saw them doing that a couple years ago on Nantucket with adult pogies.  It was actually kinda nice to see them eating something not on the end of someone’s line.

Does Salty consume only striped bass or does variety come in to play....a bluefish perhaps? A blackfish?

Salty and his buddies definitely prefer stripers. I've only seen him eat one blue, and he stole that one off someone's line.   

But they seem to be able to catch stripers at will.  But for some reason they have no interest in tog? Tog are probably crazy easy to catch.

8 mins ago, bob_G said:

Salty and his buddies definitely prefer stripers. I've only seen him eat one blue, and he stole that one off someone's line.   

But they seem to be able to catch stripers at will.  But for some reason they have no interest in tog? Tog are probably crazy easy to catch.

You know Bob, as you mention togs, I found 2 occasion from the canal cam the togs follow the seals around. They took the cam down now, but I have those 2 clips saved wondering why in the world these big togs following a seal.

4 mins ago, foxfai said:

You know Bob, as you mention togs, I found 2 occasion from the canal cam the togs follow the seals around. They took the cam down now, but I have those 2 clips saved wondering why in the world these big togs following a seal.

What an interesting question .... I hope never to see a fraction of the seals on LI as you guys see up in Mass.

2 mins ago, foxfai said:

You're correct, I saw the same videos.  It was obvious the togs were following the seal, as that could not have been a coincidence.   

I wonder if when stripers aren't around, perhaps the seals root around on the bottom looking for lobsters. While in the process, they loosen up mussels providing the togs with an easy, opportunistic meal?