linesiderdemdnj

Underwrap needed?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just finished wrapping the guides on my 12’ heaver.  I received a message from a buddy after showing him the work and he told me I should add underwraps to prevent the blank from getting dug into from the guide feet. I completely understand that those would add security in preventing that. However I like how the one wrap looks with a solid color and was hoping to fish this rod this weekend or next. 
i will be throwing a lot of weight, sometimes up to 14 oz with this rod. I kind of think an underwrap is necessary and am willing to redo all of the guides that way. 
does anyone think I could get away with no underwrap?

thanks 

4457CDD7-4E3A-4316-8014-EA2C9989A1FF.jpeg

217E4691-A8C5-4C6F-9A86-674F319EA551.jpeg

CDAB3C99-F738-40BF-B89E-45FFAD6CC706.jpeg

74AC52A2-D376-4A18-8790-50B8F05F21F1.jpeg

EDA878A7-079D-4A47-AFD2-1304C5C017FD.jpeg

Probably lots of opinions out there.  You may want to to call Rod Geeks to get their take on it.

RODgeeks
856 4th Ave N. Park Falls, WI 54552
800-826-7042  |  M-F 8 am- 5 pm

We have an answer at work when asked why we do something a particular way . . . Because we've done it that way since the Apollo program.  I underwrap heavier rods I guess for just that reason.  If the guide feet are very level and have no burrs I don't think it's needed.  I would wrap further up on the foot than you did.

As Mike said it never hurts to check with the blank manufacturer.

Posted (edited)

None of my or my customer's 13-15' heavers get an under-wrap. Ever.

I have experienced exactly zero issues.

Edited by ZAFisher

16 hours ago, Fergal said:

They are not needed. I only do them for aesthetic purposes. 

Thanks man. 

i did the first coat of epoxy last night and looking good so far. 

It’s done , leave it as is. 
The underwrap keeps the guide from digging in.  If not seated properly  It does add a little weight , no big deal 

I like under wraps on salt water rods.

2 hours ago, ccb said:

It’s done , leave it as is. 
The underwrap keeps the guide from digging in.  If not seated properly  It does add a little weight , no big deal 

I like under wraps on salt water rods.

That’s why I was asking if it’s absolutely necessary, to prevent the blank from failing one day and breaking. If that was the case I was ready to redo the entire thing. But since guys are saying they’ve never experienced an issue, and it’ll be less weight (9 guides on this rod + tip) i left it. My next heaver or saltwater rod will have underwraps tho. 

Don't do it unless you like the look.

I have seen the result of someone executing a frap around the (NLG) stripper guide so badly it planted the front guide foot right THROUGH the blank - an under wrap would not have made an iota of difference.

19 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Don't do it unless you like the look.

I have seen the result of someone executing a frap around the (NLG) stripper guide so badly it planted the front guide foot right THROUGH the blank - an under wrap would not have made an iota of difference.

That’s insane! Good to know

A long, long time ago, guides were wrapped with thread then finished with types of varnishes or lacquers that weren't particularly strong to begin with and which broke down over time, allowing the guides to move.  This caused the metal guide feet to wear against the softer blank which could, over time, damage the blank.  Thus, the need for underwraps.  

Modern epoxy finishes, if used correctly on well-wrapped guides, do not permit the guide feet to move or wear against the blank, so underwraps are usually just aesthetic and often favored by people who still regard them as a sign of quality since cheaper rods in the past usually wouldn't have them.   

If the guide feet are seated even on the blank it won’t cut a grove into the blank.  But if not,  it could 

. I have seen groves in blanks a lot of times on boat rods, but I never seen one brake from a grove.  When it needs to be rewrapped you can wrap it the way you want

.  I wouldn’t  worry about it.  I think I would worry about a loose guide rubbing the guide into the blank more. 

Think about this for just a tiny moment. So we think an underwrap or under tie is going to protect the blank from the guide. No chance at all. If a guide can cut into a blank it sure as hell can cut into or through a thread. Do a good job with a single thread tie and use enough guides on that heaver and all should stay in place.

mikey

If the feet of the guide are sitting on the blank evenly, no problem 

if not , then they could dig into the blank. (salt  more then fresh )  Alway check before wrapping the guide. 
They don’t come perfect form the factory?  The underwrap is just a secondary means of protection and a richer look. 
I myself like the look on saltwater   

rods.   On freshwater I like the lighter look. 
Flyrods are always made to be light. After all your throwing flys.