Good2Go

Green tomato picking recipes

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hopefully this is the right forum. I searched the topic for 15 mins, but came up empty. As per usual at the end of the season I have a bunch of green tomatoes. Mostly Roma type but also some usual round garden tomatoes. I'd like to try a good recipe to pickle them. Simple, quick, and will likely refrigerate them as I don't have canning equipment or want the fuss. Anybody care to share any that have worked for them? 

This is my pickle recipe that I also use for green cherry tomatoes.  For tomatoes, make sure you poke a couple holes in each so the brine gets into them.  I use this recipe for end of the year beans too.

A couple extra notes about the recipe…

I think the hot peppers are a must, but some prefer them without.  For the garlic, if I don’t have huge cloves then I add an extra.  For the salt, I use kosher or pickling salt.

0E608D31-5902-4EEC-8096-3DB21976EA46.jpeg

My wife sautes the green tomatoes to get a little brown on them, in a little olive oil, s&p, and a little granulated garlic. The tomatoes should be hard and green with no signs of turning color or getting soft.  A tasty side dish.

Fitzy, how long do the pickled guys last in the fridge?

some else to do with green tomatoes.

Green Tomato Wasabi Jam

The idea for this peppy condiment came from the Italian tradition of mostarda - a marmalade of fruits candied in a clear syrup spiked with sinus-clearing mustard essence. Like mostarda, it makes a great accent for roasted meats or hard Pecorinos on a cheese board. That said, don't overlook a Ritz cracker smeared with cream cheese.

2 tablespoons white wine or water

2 cups diced green tomato (about 2 medium)

Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons prepared wasabi paste

Combine wine, tomato, lemon juice, zest, sugar and salt in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.

Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and cook slowly for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until juices are very thick and glossy and tomato is starting to stick to the bottom of the pan when you tilt it. Stir in wasabi paste. Cool to room temperature and store in refrigerator. Serves 10.

Green Poppers/ Cherry Tomatoes

These bursty, spicy quick pickles are so addictive, you won't be able to resist fishing three or four out of the jar every time you open the fridge.

Please note well: These are not properly cured pickles, so they must be kept cold. Unless you're sterilizing your vessels and using pickling salt, you don't want fermentation to occur.

While green cherry tomatoes can be hard to come by commercially, anyone with a high-producing plant in the garden should be able to pick a pint on any given day this fall. Or use quartered large green tomatoes.

1 quart green cherry tomatoes , or quartered large green tomatoes

1/2 bunch dill

1 or 2 hot peppers, such as habaneros, sliced in half (optional)

1/2 cup cider vinegar

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper

5 large cloves garlic, peeled and thickly sliced

Stem the tomatoes and pierce each at the stem end with a thin chopstick or skewer. Place in a clean, heat-proof quart mason jar.

Top with whole dill sprigs and optional pepper. Bring to a boil 1 1/2 cups water, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic. Pour over tomatoes to submerge. Stir dill and garlic pieces into tomatoes. Cover and let come to room temperature. Store overnight in refrigerator. Serves 20.

Thanks for the ideas. Can't wait to try a few of them. I cut a green Roma today, they're pretty firm so would suspect they'll "pickle" well. May try a few different techniques, like halving them, slicing the skin, poking a few holes and compare the outcome. 

Posted (edited)

On 10/4/2022 at 8:57 AM, Vt coast said:

My wife sautes the green tomatoes to get a little brown on them, in a little olive oil, s&p, and a little granulated garlic. The tomatoes should be hard and green with no signs of turning color or getting soft.  A tasty side dish.

Fitzy, how long do the pickled guys last in the fridge?

I think I’ve kept overnight pickles for about 6 months or so.  The cherries don’t last too long because we eat them… I’d keep them around for 6 months if they were still around.

Edited by Fitzy

OK, maybe dumb question, but I bought some dill and it's a humungous sheaf. Do I split it in 3 or just use a little bit? I pretty much cook to eat, not a gourmet cook! Gonna try Fitzy's recipe first. Think I'll have enough green ones to try the others as well. 

For a  60-40 +/_sweetness to tart. I've been using Big Boys for the last few years and with very good results, but the Aug. heat did them in so no pickles for me this year:mad:

2 qts water

2cups white vinegar

1/4 cup kosh salt

1 cup sugar

dill

garlic.

boil h2o, vin, salt, and sugar for 10 mins and let cool, put dill and garlic in mason jars. The tomatoes should be cold. Pack the tom. chips in the jars, I add a little more garlic and dill on top after packing the jars. Add the cold liquid and let them stand for a day at rm. temp then refrigerate. 

2 hours ago, Good2Go said:

OK, maybe dumb question, but I bought some dill and it's a humungous sheaf. Do I split it in 3 or just use a little bit? I pretty much cook to eat, not a gourmet cook! Gonna try Fitzy's recipe first. Think I'll have enough green ones to try the others as well. 

I like mine on the heavy side.

I did 3 jars, still have lots of green tomatoes left. I'll try these after a couple days if they're good will make more and adjust as I go. Read that dill seed is stronger than the green herb, so just used my judgement. Have plenty of herb left. 

I'm not a real "hot" freak, so just cut one hot pepper and spread among the jars. Wanted to respect the recipe without killing myself. Psyched about trying them, and will modify according to taste. Appreciate all the input. 

IMG_0126.jpeg.7030f4572bf6210c1705c9e85d55d556.jpeg

Hope you enjoy them- I made a couple jars a few weeks ago and will be cracking the first one open tomorrow on Great Point.  I hope they’re as good as I remember.

For the dill, I usually add a piece that’s the size of my index finger or less… not a ton or it’ll be over powering.

20 mins ago, Fitzy said:

Hope you enjoy them- I made a couple jars a few weeks ago and will be cracking the first one open tomorrow on Great Point.  I hope they’re as good as I remember.

For the dill, I usually add a piece that’s the size of my index finger or less… not a ton or it’ll be over powering.

Winged it. Kinda my style! I'll let you know how they turned out.