Onelastcast

Saragosa SW or Twin Power

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I’m looking to pick up a reel to use in the surf around the south shore beaches of Long Island.  Past threads have led me to the Shimano Saragosa SW A or the Twin Power and it appears I can't go wrong with either though I'm leaning towards the Gosa.  

I never held or seen either of these models so any comments, suggestions and size recommendation would be greatly appreciated.  Ideally I want a reel that will meet the demands of these fishing waters and ideally keeping it as light as possible.

I’ll be pairing it with a one piece Lamiglas xs101ms.

Many thanks, OLC

Posted (edited)

I've got both a 5-6k gosa swa ( have both spools ) 

And a 14k twin power sw 

And they're both great reels 

The gosa does double duty on my main inshore/kayak rod and my 9 ft surf and it hasn't missed a beat 

It's been washed over in the kayak and dunked when wading  with zero issues over the past 2 or so years 

The 14k twin power does double duty on my shore shark rod and on a tuna popper of mine 

Haven't put it through as rigorous and abusive use but I've been happy with it so far over the past year 

But it's handled everything so far 

I personally would stick with the gosa and save the few hundred bucks  for plugs or other gear etc 

Either way you'll probably want a 6000-8000 size reel depending on how you like your rod balanced 

Edited by GrahamN

the saragosa&spheros 6k or lighter a stradic 5k...The twp has some (small) improvement. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I have two of the 6k Gosa and had a new 2021 6k tp for a little while. I actually like the 6k Gosa better. It just seems like I get a little better feel from my lures with the gosa. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the responses I greatly appreciate the input. Based on the comments it seems like the Gosa is the way to go. 

Canary just to be clear, are you saying that the Gosa 6k is pretty much sized and feels like a Stradic 5k?

I had a Saltist 4500h that seemed pretty beefy especially when compared to my stradic Fh 5000. Can anyone make a size comparison only between that Saltist model with the Gosa 5,6 and 8.  I have enough info on what to expect from the Gosa. 

Thanks OL

Edited by Onelastcast
Added text

I own both as well and would say the gosa is a tad bigger 

in that same 6000 sized reel

The Gosa is going to hold more line.

I would say I think the 6000 sized reel might be a little small as your every day surf reel, yes it works but I think it’s a tad bit small for a 10 or 11 foot rod.

if casting distance isn’t a factor 

you will be fine.

I am not a shimano expert but I know a few of their models, the 6 and 8000 series reels share the same body but the 8000 has a larger spool.

Anyways the Twin power is more online with The Stella 

its way smoother than the Gosa

and I wouldn’t be dunking mine or take it anywhere near the surf.

I have plenty of VS(s) for that.

The Gosa will handle the job just fine for the surf  , yes it’s smooth as well but the twin power is a step up.

I use that twin power fishing the North Shore.

hope that helps

48906FB2-BD4E-4F3B-B305-807860B6F26D.jpeg

Why waste $200 more on the  TP when you can get a quality reel like the SWA.

Posted (edited)

Saragosa or even spheros swa is the way to go, they are practically identical btw, Alan hawk put out a review on both and you can look at the parts numbers at Shimano website. On the Shimano lineup the for spheros, Saragosa, TP and Stella the 5k/6k and the 8k/10k/14k reels are the same exact reels except for larger spool sizes and different gear ratio. I.e. you can put a 14k spool on a 8k reel and a 6k spool on a 5k reel.

Edited by Snook_Slayr

44 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

Saragosa or even spheros swa is the way to go, they are practically identical btw, Alan hawk put out a review on both and you can look at the parts numbers at Shimano website. On the Shimano lineup the for spheros, Saragosa, TP and Stella the 5k/6k and the 8k/10k/14k reels are the same exact reels except for larger spool sizes and different gear ratio. I.e. you can put a 14k spool on a 8k reel and a 6k spool on a 5k reel.

A lot of these companies are handicapping themselves by having so many different models and not having a very clear and concise page that shows the difference. 

1 hour ago, levari said:

Why waste $200 more on the  TP when you can get a quality reel like the SWA.

Got it on here for a few more dollars than a gosa, that's why

@Camhabib it probably works out better for them to be ambiguous. Don't know why anyone would buy anything other than a spheros/gosa at this point. The step up to gosa doesn't even make sense they're practically identical. Differences pasted from Alan Hawks teardowns:

* The bail wire of the Spheros is the jointed type instead of the one-piece bail wire of the Saragosa.

* The line roller of the Spheros is mounted on a complex series of bushings instead of a single ball bearing as in the Saragosa.

* Both reels have a premium machined handle stem, but the Saragosa's comes with a hidden joint pin for extra protection.

* The Saragosa has a backup mechanical anti-reverse in sizes 18K and up while the Spheros continues not to have this.

* The Saragosa has the dual drag located both at the top and beneath the spool, while the Spheros comes only with a top stack drag unit.

* And, correspondingly, the drag clicker in Saragosas 5000/6000/8000/10000/14000 is a louder and more "ringy" design than that of the equivalent Spheros. On sizes 18000 and above though the drag clickers of both models are similar, both being a simpler arrangement that isn't as loud.

4 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

I have both, a 4000, and 6000 TP SW, and they are not the exact same reels.

One of the biggest differences between the TP and the Saragosa/Spheros is the drive train. The Saragosa and Spheros have a locomotive drive train while the Twinpower and Stella share a worm gear drive train.  The main gear used in the TP and the Stella both use a hagane forged gear that is coated with brass for extra smoothness and longevity. the Saragosa/Spheros do not have this. I can tell you from experience that the current Saragosa/Spheros gearing doesn’t hold up as well, and I had 2 Spheros reels that got rough right away. A total disappointment.  Also, the TP and Stella both share and all metal rotor while at the same time, are lighter than Saragosa/Spheros. I think they also have more bearings, and higher drag ratings too.

The TP and the Stella share more components while the Saragosa/Spheros are more similar. I can tell you that I enjoy fishing the Twinpowers, and they have held up at least for me. Whether some of these things make a difference while out on the water, I think they do. Maybe to some, they would rather not pay the premium for the TP, but I feel they are worth the extra money. The Twinpower/Stella  is made in Japan while the Saragosa/Spheros is made in Malaysia. Big difference in quality.

@Tagman sorry probably wasn't clear I meant spheros and gosa are 'identical,' not TP/Stella in comparison to gosa/spheros.

Had the same thing with my reels going rough really fast but the most recent 14k I got is still butter and the other 2 have actually worn in and feel smoooth. Drag ratings on tp/stella are pretty exaggerated, most people have tested get mid to upper 30s not 55lb on 8-14k reels. Really just boils down to if the IMO small upgrades are worth the extra hundreds in coin, to me they aren't but to others they definitely are. All I know is my spheros's have landed tons of triple digits tarpons and fought a lot more w/o a single failure

22 hours ago, Onelastcast said:

... are you saying that the Gosa 6k is pretty much sized and feels like a Stradic 5k?

I can tell you they are not the same and with the weight and bail it is noticibly different. Size is close but the Gosa is bigger. Gosa 6K is the same exact reel as the Gosa 5K. Difference is the gear ratio and spool size.Weight difference is like 15.9 oz to 16 oz. 

Stradic has a similar gear ratio to the Gosa 5K but it's signifcantly lighter (9.3 oz) and bail is automatic and not manual (like the Gosa). 

However, just when we learn the differences, there is a variant Stradic sold in Austrailia that is basically a Gossa replica. Some have shown up here for sale on ebay / used.