ThrowinPlugs

Garmin Echomap UHD or Humminbird Helix?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions. Currently using a lowrance elite ti2 and im just not thrilled with its DI system. I want something with more detail especially if it has side scan. Only using it for inshore/creeks so nothing more than probably 100 feet. Thank you.

I can only sort-of help. I've had a Helix 5 on my kayak for a while, but my version is just basic CHIRP, so I can't speak to side scan. I just got a Garmin Echomap 74SV, but I've barely used it an hour, and I spent extra for the GT56 transducer. My suspicion is they are close enough performers that availability, price, familiarity, and fit would all matter more than head-to-head features. 

Speaking of price, the Garmin 94SV/74SV with a GT54 are still on sale at West Marine for $599/699. Hodges has the Helix 7 SI for $519, but they don't seem to have a comparable deal on the 9, at $708, which still is in the same range as the Garmin.

I have a Garmin EchoMap 106SV Ultra.

I’m very happy with it. Have to mess with the settings to get optimum performance, but once you do, it’s pretty impressive. 

Here is a wreck with fish around it on sidescan …

E181F148-ACAE-43F3-BAD6-D0CD83767693.jpeg.8a40c641fc1670b8d2c18ddc9bd5d573.jpeg

Those are outstanding pics. This is the first and only shot i have of my screen and it was blowing that day. I only took it to text to a buddy boat who was less than fifty yards away from me and catching nothing... I have no idea why the black line showed up unless it was when i changed the screen from another option. I also like how easy it is to remove and pack away below in a padded computer bag or just take home.

IMG_6881 (1).jpg

I have the Garmin 74SV/GT54 and very happy overall. I have a 16' cc without a cover and have no problem seeing the screen in bright sunlight. I haven't mastered the side view to the point of making it an asset. I fish backwater in a fairly congested area which  limits the time to play with the side view. Between the current, wind and boat traffic I need to keep my head on a swivel. Maybe I'll have to leave the rods home one day and figure it out, that won't happen.

I find myself using the sonar and clear view split scene the most. The chart is also handy for identifying the contour lines. I set that up so the chart is about 70% and sonar for the other 30. 

The unit also has the capability of copying the bottom depth, with a 32g micro sd card. The problem for it to be accurate it would need to be recorded basically at low water. Lots of utube video's on using the sonar, side view and so on.

Did the install myself which was easier than expected. Used dielectric grease and leave it connected with a console cover. Also used transducer paint (mdr I think) which worked reasonably well.

Posted (edited)

I have had 3 Humminbird Helix. Its been out for a while and It works great. Dependable.  I hunt bass with Side imaging. If you look into this series get it on clearance and cheap because I believe its time , this year or next for Humminbird to come out with the next latest and greatest this Spring at the same price point.

Here is how Bass show up. This would from a top view like opening a book. Standard view would be a closed book. This is what I see when I hunt. Below is Squid with mixed sized bass. 

FAACEF8C-3992-4B71-9F91-99343EB35ACF.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

I have had 3 Humminbird Helix. Its been out for a while and It works great. Dependable.  I hunt bass with Side imaging. If you look into this series get it on clearance and cheap because I believe its time , this year or next for Humminbird to come out with the next latest and greatest this Spring at the same price point.

Here is how Bass show up. This would from a top view like opening a book. Standard view would be a closed book. This is what I see when I hunt.

38DA51C4-A174-4897-A67B-DD28C8D63B66.jpeg

1F3EC2C8-AEB5-48FC-B0A3-2FC6E7BD122A.jpeg

6FBF856B-FB3E-46FE-AA41-59B1EB6C083A.jpeg

FCEF9303-F7F5-42CB-B93D-0C7EE0AA1073.jpeg

3 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Thise are some amazing shots. Hmmmm

I had an 94SV. I liked that also. BassPro did a Black Friday sale for the 106SV with the GT54 for $999. Was hard to pass up.

I should have mentioned that those are with the GT54.

I have some others on the machine that I’ll download at some point.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I think i may wait til black friday and see what pops up. I'm still very torn!

It seems like every Black Friday there are some great deals.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you ever plan to get a trolling motor.

The Humminbirds integrate with the Minn Kotas. 

Apparently a module is being released by Rhodan, maybe as soon as this week, that will work to integrate Simrad and Lowrance units. 

Garmin not interested in integrating with anything but their own Force trolling motors from what you read. 

Edited by PhilCVG

I can't comment on Garmin... but I switched from a Lowrance Elite to the Humminbird Helix.. I find the Helix's downscan/sidescan views much better.. the MinKota compatibly was also a factor in my decision.. Here's a couple shots of Striper schools showing all 3 view options..

20220518_140914.jpg

20220510_161647.jpg