youngc

Favorite Mid-Size Spook

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Looking for opinions on your favorite spook-type lure in the 1-2oz range. Something that rides high and of course, has great action. 

Posted (edited)

Poombah Walker for wood, Heddon salt super for plastic, both rigged with one treble and a siwash on the rear. 

FDA363A1-B6E1-4474-8D5D-3BDE7B316646.png

Edited by D1fishr

Yozuri Top Knock Pencil ( it's a spook) 1 oz in bone has produced for me.

Casts like a bomb and very easy to get to walk.

Jigman (builder here on SOL) makes a killer spook in this range if you can get your hands on one as well

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Yozuri Hydro Pencil and the Yozuri Top Knock Pencil??

Do ya'll find rattles discourage fish from hitting the lure (especially under calm conditions) or doesn't seem to make a difference? 

29 mins ago, 27conch said:

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Yozuri Hydro Pencil and the Yozuri Top Knock Pencil??

Hydro pencil casts waaaaaay better.  Both just as easy to walk for me.

I love the Mirrolure Top Dawg. That thing crushes. Has a really nice knock to it and can work it in all types of conditions.

Posted (edited)

36 mins ago, bbfish said:

Hydro pencil casts waaaaaay better.  Both just as easy to walk for me.

Don't disagree, and I am/was a big fan of those as well. When they first came out I don't think they made a bone colored one. They were only made in those reflective colors if my memory serves me anyways I did well with the bronze colored one. Just a FYI they do make the hydro pencil in bone now.

The difference is the Hydro is a little fatter/wider and maybe a 1/8-1/4 oz heavier

than the top knock.

About the rattle I think that helps, I can only speak to the yozuri ones that I have used. I fish the western sound and fish a lot of top water. There are times when the water is very flat and throwing a cotton cordell pencil can either produce a savage hit or it gets absolutely no attention whatsoever.

This is where I think a spook shines. Spooks can bring a fish up from the bottom when no other top water lure will.

Just my .02 on how to fish em and I hope that helps.

Edited by fishinthedark

Yozuri Hydro Pencil has been a top producer for me for the past few years.

It’s probably  easiest to walk the dog of any plugs I currently use.

It casts well and is sturdily constructed with good hook hangers but the factory hooks  could be beefier.

I change them out once the factory hooks get mangled a bit.

I’ve found that the shiny metallic finishes don’t hold up well.

That won’t affect the lures ability to catch fish  at all but it’s going to make it look crappy in pretty short order.

Some people love  it when plugs show wear and tear from many fish.

I like stuff which stays looking new for longer.

It’s just a personal preference and, as I said, the damaged finish won’t reduce its fish catching ability at all.