CutGrassCatchBass

ODM Genesis & VSX 150

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Currently looking to pick up an ODM Genesis 10' 1/2 - 3 1/2 rod. It will be mostly used on sand beaches to throw plugs such as SP minnows, small metal lips, and small bucktails, all under 2oz in no more than light surf/current. I am wondering how good a fit the VSX150 I currently own will be on the 10' Genesis. Ordinarily I would say a 200 would be a better fit on a 10' rod, but I have handled the Genesis and felt how light and thin the blank is. Does anyone use a VSX 150 or a 200 on their lighter 10' rods?

I can't speak on the 10' rod but i can say that i have a vsx100 paired with the 9ft genesis and it feels perfect. Although lately, i do have an urge to throw on a vsx150 NIB that i have collecting dust. Only reason would be the faster retrieve rate. But with the vsx2 100 now having the faster rate, i just don't know what to do. Just get the 10' Evo instead! 

I have a 250,200 and 150. The 200 and 250 are collecting dust and probably not going to get used any time soon. The 150 covers all my bases and is plenty strong if I run into a big fish 

I have a 150 on a 10 1/2 foot St Croix Legend that feels perfect. Throws  1 to 3 + oz and can muscle a nice fish out of the surf. Light as a feather 

Using a vsx150 on 9ft Genesis......vsx200 on 10ft,,,vsx150 is light,I believe around 12 oz,feel it matches better with 9ft

24 mins ago, RonD said:

Using a vsx150 on 9ft Genesis......vsx200 on 10ft,,,vsx150 is light,I believe around 12 oz,feel it matches better with 9ft

Thank you for your input! I am curious if I can make my vsx just a bit heavier (and more comfortable to use) with the addition of a power knob, so that it is better balanced on a super light 10' rod.

Hmmmmm,,,I did the power knob upgrade,,also had to modify an get the extended reel foot! Tired of a bloody knuckle!,, Honestly I don't think it changed the weight noticably 

The power knob is a very nice addition as well as the drag knob and i don't believe the weight will be noticed.

my vr150 balances perfectly with a 10' dna from a weight perspective. also if you want to add weight to the reel to adjust balance, get some golfers lead tape and wrap a tiny bit around the rod just above the buttcap until you get the balance you want. if i ever want to use the vr150 on my 1201L (heavier blank) thats what i do.

20 hours ago, Vans said:

I can't speak on the 10' rod but i can say that i have a vsx100 paired with the 9ft genesis and it feels perfect. Although lately, i do have an urge to throw on a vsx150 NIB that i have collecting dust. Only reason would be the faster retrieve rate. But with the vsx2 100 now having the faster rate, i just don't know what to do. Just get the 10' Evo instead! 

Thank you for your input! I really prefer a more moderate rod, like the Genesis. It seems to be the best moderate rod in that price range that is still super light. I have handled some of the new vsx2's as well, and I like the larger profile of the bailed model, however, I am apprehensive about going with the newer unproven design.

Posted (edited)

On 10/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, CutGrassCatchBass said:

Currently looking to pick up an ODM Genesis 10' 1/2 - 3 1/2 rod. It will be mostly used on sand beaches to throw plugs such as SP minnows, small metal lips, and small bucktails, all under 2oz in no more than light surf/current. I am wondering how good a fit the VSX150 I currently own will be on the 10' Genesis. Ordinarily I would say a 200 would be a better fit on a 10' rod, but I have handled the Genesis and felt how light and thin the blank is. Does anyone use a VSX 150 or a 200 on their lighter 10' rods?

My son just went that route he brought ODM Genesis and put his VS150 on it but wanted a little more weight in the butt section so he picked up a VSX200 he can't say enough good things about his choice of putting the VSX200 on the rod and how the outfit is performing and balancing out better for his type of fishing, he uses plugs 1-1/2 to 3oz his own homemade gliders catching fish on a steady basis. 

He stayed with the older VSX200 he wasn't into the new look, there was very little to gain so he stayed with the old proven design, he has 10 years with his VS150 and still going, my reels go back to 1997 and still going.

Edited by LB

22 hours ago, mssz said:

my vr150 balances perfectly with a 10' dna from a weight perspective. also if you want to add weight to the reel to adjust balance, get some golfers lead tape and wrap a tiny bit around the rod just above the buttcap until you get the balance you want. if i ever want to use the vr150 on my 1201L (heavier blank) thats what i do.

Thank you! I may have to use that lead tape trick!