Mokes

Solar power win or scary bite of reality?

Rate this topic

325 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, woowoo2 said:

I don't see any destruction?

Solar is a great asset when it comes to supplementing peak demand.

But,It will never replace baseline generation.

It’s not the answer in other words (?)

Doesn’t Germany have a heavy investment in solar 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

“Climate resiliency was built into the fabric of the town with stronger storms in mind.

So when Hurricane Ian came barreling toward southwest Florida this week, it was a true test for the community. The storm obliterated the nearby Fort Myers and Naples areas with record-breaking surge and winds over 100 m.p.h. It knocked out power to more than 2.6 million customers in the state, including 90 per cent of Charlotte County.

But the lights stayed on in Babcock Ranch.

"It certainly exceeded our expectations of a major hurricane," Grande, 58, told CNN.

The storm uprooted trees and tore shingles from roofs, but other than that Grande said there is no major damage. Its residents say Babcock Ranch is proof that an eco-conscious and solar-powered town can withstand the wrath of a near-Category 5 storm.

"We have proof of the case now because [the hurricane] came right over us," Nancy Chorpenning, a 68-year-old Babcock Ranch resident, told CNN. "We have water, electricity, internet — and we may be the only people in Southwest Florida who are that fortunate."

Grande said Hurricane Ian came through southwest Florida "like a freight train." But he wasn't afraid that he would lose everything in a storm, like he was when he lived in Fort Myers.”

^^^These story’s are literally written for low information folks like you Snook ^^^^

Edited by RiverRaider

18 mins ago, KenY said:

Plants and solar panels are competing for the same thing.....sunlight.  If we are to eliminate oil and nukes AND go vegan, there isn't enough square miles of land in the USA to do both.  Are we gonna invade, conquer, and exterminate others to take their land again ???

Canada has been getting uppity lately.

13 mins ago, Nessmuk said:

Ya know, we’d probably be wise to slow the population growth in the US, huh?

No we need more high birth rate illegals for diversity, and building cities on areable land is smart thinking. We have more water and energy than we need as well.

:dismay:

1 min ago, charloots said:

Canada has been getting uppity lately.

Canada has too short a growing season and the sun is too low for solar panels to operate at peak efficiency.  

If everyone from Central and South America is coming to the USA, may as well annex everything to the south of us.

4 hours ago, Bass2Snook said:

Non sequitur.

Getting training from his mentor KB.

3 hours ago, Mokes said:

Where are the trees? How many animals lost habitat? How can one be crying about the Earth and Climate Change and not care about wiping out monster tracts of land for solar panels? How does that work? In MA, they regularly clear cut land for Solar Farms. 

I'm pretty sure trees are one of the MOST important things on Earth for human survival. 

Trees remove carbon dioxide and release  oxygen. I thought carbon  dioxide  was bad?

40 mins ago, Wraith said:

Trees remove carbon dioxide and release  oxygen. I thought carbon  dioxide  was bad?

Cutting trees for their wood is bad, cutting tress to make way for solar panels is good.

Posted (edited)

Panels on the roof in NJ never pay for themselves. You will be replacing worn panels long before it pays for itself. If you have any roofing issues you end up paying for installation again…Hurricanes like Sandy will wipe out your investment. 

Edited by aae0130

3 mins ago, aae0130 said:

Panels on the roof in NJ never pay for themselves. You will be replacing worn panels long before it pays for itself. If you have any roofing issues you end up paying for installation again…Hurricanes line Sandy will wipe out your investment. 

you need to plant trees around the house to block the wind.

1 min ago, aae0130 said:

Panels on the roof in NJ never pay for themselves. You will be replacing worn panels long before it pays for itself. If you have any roofing issues you end up paying for installation again…

Roof repair….that’s my biggest gripe with solar panels on roof. 

Personally I think it is asinine to permanently affix them to your roof.   
I remember hearing of issues when someone was trying to sell their home and there were solar panels on the roof.  Something about panels not totallly paid off so it was a sticking point due to how solar panel contract was written up.

No thank you.  To me if you really want solar , put up a pedestal in the back yard.

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

I remember hearing of issues when someone was trying to sell their home and there were solar panels on the roof.  Something about panels not totallly paid off so it was a sticking point due to how solar panel contract was written up.

No thank you.  To me if you really want solar , put up a pedestal in the back yard.

have a giant solar panel, and position it so when it rains, all the water goes onto your neighbor's property.

Edited by eddy

33 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

They also cause leaks, weaken the roof and firefighters hate them. Your house catches on fire and they need to access the roof to chop holes? You're losing the house. 

5 mins ago, Mokes said:

They also cause leaks, weaken the roof and firefighters hate them. Your house catches on fire and they need to access the roof to chop holes? You're losing the house. 

That’s where I was going with roof repair.