Richard_the_Aughth

Sharks from shore and shock leaders

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I have a question specifically about setting up your leader. I watched some videos and got some advice from other forum members on a proper bite leader, and that already is a few feet long. Next you attach that to your shock leader, which is usually at least 50lb mono, and then you attach the shock leader to your main line. I read that the shock leader should be very long, enough to wrap around the spool a few times. My issue is I cannot get such a setup to work. When I cast sometimes it works, but usually the double uni knot connecting the shock leader to the main line does not go through all the guides, gets caught on one, and tears off. How do people use shock leaders? Do they have rods with extra large guides or something? I cant see how this could ever work, yet I read stories about people tossing 8 and bait 100 yards into the surf by using a shock leader. What am I doing wrong?

Couple questions.. are you casting spinning or conventional? What are you using for main line? What rod are you trying this with? And what are your guide sizes? 

I’ve noticed shock leaders don’t work as well with spinning rods even though the guides are typically larger. Perhaps you’re leaving too much tag on your shock knot or need to use a different knot. My 12-13 foot conventional rods have size 12 runners as the smallest hole the knot has to go through. I usually tie a spider hitch to a no name because I trust it, can trim the tags super close, and can tie them much smaller than other shock knots. I use 16 lb prospect or 17/20 lb tritanium. 
with either 40 or 50lb BBG shock depending on if I’m chasing drum or Cobia. 

even with everything perfect, sometime the knot will still get hung up… just part of playing the game 

1 min ago, Surfjunki said:

Couple questions.. are you casting spinning or conventional? What are you using for main line? What rod are you trying this with? And what are your guide sizes? 

I’ve noticed shock leaders don’t work as well with spinning rods even though the guides are typically larger. Perhaps you’re leaving too much tag on your shock knot or need to use a different knot. My 12-13 foot conventional rods have size 12 runners as the smallest hole the knot has to go through. I usually tie a spider hitch to a no name because I trust it, can trim the tags super close, and can tie them much smaller than other shock knots. I use 16 lb prospect or 17/20 lb tritanium. 

even with everything perfect, sometime the knot will still get hung up… just part of playing the game 

I think we tied on responding.

Ive used this setup the last 2 years for the surf and its never left anything to be desired.

65 lb braid main line. 4-5 feet of 150lb mono. Palomar to connect to braid to a double barrel swivel and a crimp to connect the 150 lb. Crimp a loop on the other end of the 150. Then i use a 3 foot leader of steel, hook on one end and a big ass snap swivel on the other. Both attached with a haywire twist. Clip that swivel to the loop on the 150 and youre good to go.

I basically just make the whole rig as long as i can comfortably cast without the 150lb going into my guides. That setups never given me an issue and ive never lost something because of my tackle.

2 mins ago, Mlima5 said:

Ive used this setup the last 2 years for the surf and its never left anything to be desired.

65 lb braid main line. 4-5 feet of 150lb mono. Palomar to connect to braid to a double barrel swivel and a crimp to connect the 150 lb. Crimp a loop on the other end of the 150. Then i use a 3 foot leader of steel, hook on one end and a big ass snap swivel on the other. Both attached with a haywire twist. Clip that swivel to the loop on the 150 and youre good to go.

I basically just make the whole rig as long as i can comfortably cast without the 150lb going into my guides. That setups never given me an issue and ive never lost something because of my tackle.

This is what I would go with if fishing spinners. Should be able to manage any shark within a big spinning reels capabilities 99% of the time without worry. 

14 mins ago, Surfjunki said:

13 mins ago, fishhappy said:

What rod and reel do you use? 

I tried it this year on a 12ft Tsunami Trophy 2 with a Saragossa 6k. I know 6k is a bit small of a spool but it was all I had on hand and it was the first time I tried this.

13 mins ago, Mlima5 said:

So you dont use a shock leader at all?

7 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I do something similar, but with 80lb braid. Good braid will absorb the cast without snapping. Use Sufix 832. 

Posted (edited)

30 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

He is using heavy braid, so no.

Stop trying to cast 50lb mono off a spinner.

It is hateful.

The vastly different stretch of mono vs braid is part of the problem; Just don't.

A heavy BRAID casting/shock leader say 25' of100-150lblb joined to your main-line braid to a short (5 foot-ish section of mono) OUTSIDE the rod tip will cast perfectly every time.

Edited by ZAFisher

Main line threaded thru hollow core braid connecting the shock leader . casting all day from the beech never hung up in the guides or impeded distance and or accuracy of the cast … videos are on u tube … it does take some time to setup …. This has to be one of the better methods of connecting two line together … extremely strong … I never saw one break and certainly never broke or hung up on and or in a guide even when casting on the field or throwing 6 oz hilo rigs all day off the beech .. all day = 5-6 hours …and ditch that spinner to A conventional , with a mono mag … less headaches… lol lol lol 

I see you’re using a spinner, so I would a use uni-uni and go w/50pd braid mainline to 80-100pd braid as your shocker!

It’s up to you how long you want your shocker to be, I base this on the area that I plan to fish!

Sometimes it’s 30-50ft, sometimes it’s over 100ft!

And then I prefer to use a clip down rig with 100pd mono with at least an 8/0  in-line circle on super 175pd heavy wire!

Here’s a pic of the rig I use for bluefish and just swap that hook out for a hook that does not have a turned eye and is slightly heavier duty and bigger when bigger toothy critters show up!

EA

8B1CB187-75ED-4D27-8458-76C423C1DFFF.jpeg.6ce84f9c19d0fca68821864e9c297dd1.jpeg

No shock leader for me . 50 lb braid to 6ft of 400lb mono to 1-2 foot bite leader of mono or coated cable . Keep it all outside the guides . Clip it on and clip it off . Easy to deal with . The 400 is great for leadering a shark in the wash , also stops break offs from tail whips . This system has accounted for sharks to 9 feet . 
   Casts as well as can be expected for such a large rig . I ussually wade it as far as I can before heaving . 
  I’ve messed with the fg knot . I just can’t tie it if I had to on the beach in the wind at night .

Posted (edited)

Richard, I ran into similar trouble when I tried to cast a 20' long 100# mono shock leader through the tiny guides on my 12' Carnage (paired with Spin Fisher 8500). Using the FG instead of the Uni helped, but I also discovered that I could tie the 80# braid directly to the 7' shark rig outside the guides without break-offs. The Breakaway style casting trigger is worth it. I usually toss a half mullet with 6-8 oz sinker but have lobbed a 16 oz. chunk of jack /barracuda and a 4 oz spider with this setup at times.

Edited by Capefox

Had pretty good success running a 11ft tsunami trophy 2 with a 14k gossa. 65# power pro to a barrel swivel, 5ft of 200# mono and 2ft 150# wire to a 12/0 circle. Casting 3-5oz lead and bait. Palomar knot from braid to swivel, the rest of the connections were all crimped. I’d set the rod in a sand spike and leave the drag completely loose, tighten the drag with the shark running and the circle hook sets. Only time I lost a rig was with something too large to stop