Hokahey

Line slap #50 832 braid driving me up a wall

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I’ve never used #50 832 or vs reel . I just purchased the new vsx2 it was spooked with 832 #50 for free . I bought this reel to put on my century stealth 11ft 2-5 . Im getting wickedly loud line slap and about 1/2 the distance I’m used to with my other reels like 8000 saltiga with #30 pp on the same rod . So I even tried using this new reel on my favorite long distance rod the 12ft century sme . Still getting crappy distance . So now I’m thinking it’s the braid god forbid it’s $1000 reel I doubt . So do any of you have input on this . Have you experienced excessive line slap with suffix 832 #50 ? I’m sure if I had time to use this setup a lot and break the line in a bit it might soften but I don’t have time for that . Got have something that works well for my trip .

Posted (edited)

50lb Sufix 832 is a thick, heavy braid; breaks at around 70-75lb and has a real dia of 0.44mm / 0.0174" (similar dia to 20-25lb mono)

It sucks up water (weight is about 50% higher when wet) which just makes things worse.

Poor choice for casting far with a spinner

Also, which size VSX did you buy?

Edited by ZAFisher

On 10/2/2022 at 1:17 AM, Hokahey said:

I’ve never used #50 832 or vs reel . I just purchased the new vsx2 it was spooked with 832 #50 for free . I bought this reel to put on my century stealth 11ft 2-5 . Im getting wickedly loud line slap and about 1/2 the distance I’m used to with my other reels like 8000 saltiga with #30 pp on the same rod . So I even tried using this new reel on my favorite long distance rod the 12ft century sme . Still getting crappy distance . So now I’m thinking it’s the braid god forbid it’s $1000 reel I doubt . So do any of you have input on this . Have you experienced excessive line slap with suffix 832 #50 ? I’m sure if I had time to use this setup a lot and break the line in a bit it might soften but I don’t have time for that . Got have something that works well for my trip .

I had excessive line slap using a gossamer 8k on my century 1327

I believe it was the reel not being right for the rod and nothing to do with the line.

I put ultegra in its place with better results. 

On 10/1/2022 at 11:48 PM, ZAFisher said:

50lb Sufix 832 is a thick, heavy braid; breaks at around 70-75lb and has a real dia of 0.44mm / 0.0174" (similar dia to 20-25lb mono)

It sucks up water (weight is about 50% higher when wet) which just makes things worse.

Poor choice for casting far with a spinner

Also, which size VSX did you buy?

I got the 200 and now I see the light thank you I’ll be canning the 50 and going with 40 power pro

13 hours ago, Hokahey said:

I got the 200 and now I see the light thank you I’ll be canning the 50 and going with 40 power pro

I put super slick v2 on my vsx2 201 same as 200

Works great on the 200

I slapped my 201 on a xra1322 so far

Reel likes that line so far

2 hours ago, bassmaster said:

I put super slick v2 on my vsx2 201 same as 200

Works great on the 200

I slapped my 201 on a xra1322 so far

Reel likes that line so far

Okay but what lb braid in the super slick ?

7 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Im using 40 lb

Does that 40lb super slick hold up in situations with rocks rubbing against it ?

25 mins ago, Hokahey said:

Does that 40lb super slick hold up in situations with rocks rubbing against it ?

Im over sand so not sure on that one.

I been fishing rocks lately though

I'd have a good look at Yozuri 40lb or Maxcuatro 40lb if you are wanting good distance.

Maxcuatro is a little noisy being a 4 strand, but it is very tough and casts well

line slap is coming from the stripper guides not being properly sized/placed for the spool diameter, the distance loss is really coming from using 50lb over 30lb

26 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

line slap is coming from the stripper guides not being properly sized/placed for the spool diameter, the distance loss is really coming from using 50lb over 30lb

Agree, has nothing to do with PP vs. Suffix vs. MaxC

I had my rod reconfigured

Much better results. 

32 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

In my original post if you read it all the way thru I said I don’t have these issues with different reels and different braid . The rod guides are perfect never had an issue before getting this reel and braid 

5 mins ago, Hokahey said:

In my original post if you read it all the way thru I said I don’t have these issues with different reels and different braid . The rod guides are perfect never had an issue before getting this reel and braid 

Yes different reels have different spool diameters that is why there is no issues with them.

I had this exact problem. 

It was the reel and my rod layout.