Del Gue

Sanibel Island out of service for a while

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Mayor says:  

"This is going to be a very long recovery process," Smith said. "But right now, [the plan is] getting everybody off that island and to safety. It is not habitable."

Edited by TimS
link removed

A melancholy thing, to see that bridge and the approach road to it. My wife will have to discover a new winter place she likes to visit.

I’ve been thinking if all those homeowners  and businesses have to keep paying PROPERTY TAXES  water, electric, sewer, gas and Insurance premiums and you could add rent to that if you have to ? 

11 mins ago, reel em in said:

I’ve been thinking if all those homeowners  and businesses have to keep paying PROPERTY TAXES  water, electric, sewer, gas and Insurance premiums and you could add rent to that if you have to ? 

Those are never put on hold. Bitch is you now have to rent another place while paying rent/mortgage on the original. 

Very, very sad situation.  My heart goes out to those folks.  

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, saltfisherman said:

Those are never put on hold. Bitch is you now have to rent another place while paying rent/mortgage on the original. 

People with money will pay. 

A lot of people will walk away. 
As you know Sanibel is an island. 
A lot different than the mainland. 
I have fondness for Sanibel.  I was going to buy real estate there about 10 years ago. Glad I didn’t. 

Edited by reel em in

Some pictures from my June trip this year.I'm going to miss this place so much it was a destination fly fishing trip dream come true.My wife loved the place to and we were booked for Mitchells already for next June...I hope I can go back one day..I doubt the precious little cottages will be rebuilt and they were the best part..My last great Snook of Sanibel.

20220606_185902 2.jpg

20220606_065339.jpg

20220616_152931.jpg

20220605_192622.jpg

Heartbreaking - used to take the kids there the week before Thanksgiving every year when they were young.  Such memories.  Great snook fishing from the shore, plus Jacks, Ladyfish, Sea Trout, etc..  We always said when we were there god help 'em if they get a direct hit.  Highest point on the island could not have been 10 feet above the high tide mark.

So sad.

Really sad. My girlfriends mom works there. Her employer is paying the employees until they get back up and running. Great gesture from the company.

We were there in May. Sad. Still haven't been able to talk to my buddy. Cell goes to voicemail. ? Worries. Pictures I saw where he lived is totally wiped out. Sand. He is a top notch guide , fished tournament's and I felt lucky to get him. A house I stayed in is still there I saw. 

My parents bought a vacation home there last year. The property is in rough shape to say the least but they will rebuild. Feel bad for everyone down there but it will come back eventually.

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

We were there in May. Sad. Still haven't been able to talk to my buddy. Cell goes to voicemail. ? Worries. Pictures I saw where he lived is totally wiped out. Sand. He is a top notch guide , fished tournament's and I felt lucky to get him. A house I stayed in is still there I saw. 

Name of the guide you fished with? I fished with a guide by the name of Dave Gibson, specialized in flats fishing around that area. 

That was Bonefish Dick's haunt. I was never a fly fisherman but I loved his posts - a very talented gentleman. I would run into him when he was fishing Sagamore Beach from one end to the other when I was staying down on Phillips Rd. Once watched him land a very nice fish probably about 20lbs. I got to know him and he always stopped and said hello as I was soaking bait about half way down to Scusset.

10 hours ago, gray gables said:

Name of the guide you fished with? I fished with a guide by the name of Dave Gibson, specialized in flats fishing around that area. 

Joey Burnside   He lived on Brainerd Bayou rd. All gone.