Sudsy

October 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

915 posts in this topic

October !! Let the games begin !

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

I’ve done that night a few times… even with thought of big AL and a NE’ster on metropolitan ave or Rhode Island ave  (wherever Al claimed to have caught that fish) but I always have the same result you had. There’s crazy feeling though out there on those nights, almost like if its going to happen tonight is the night. You deserve it, only guy out, soaking wet, trying not to get swept off….  All that said, no fish, and you drive home.

Just went down to bay..nasty and some minor coastal flooding. Cant believe how sustained this blow will be. Really going to have big seas, big winds until about wednesday. Be great if something got going right after. 

Posted (edited)

I built a Heavy Heaver specifically for NEers about ten years ago. I highly recommended it. 1st time I used it it was so satisfying piercing through 20->30 MPH winds while guys were having their casts fall 20ft in front of them. Second jig after hitting the water produced 30->40 inch bass.

Edited by Duff

I certainly would've appreciated that heaver last night, but nothing would've cancelled out that sweep....

57 mins ago, daves745t said:

I certainly would've appreciated that heaver last night, but nothing would've cancelled out that sweep....

Sounds like you need a “nor’easter guide”. ;-)

As for me, besides needing a “life guide”….

”We” scrapped my birthday fishing plans due to weather.  

3 hours ago, Duff said:

I built a Heavy Heaver specifically for NEers about ten years ago. I highly recommended it. 1st time I used it it was so satisfying piercing through 20->30 MPH winds while guys were having their casts fall 20ft in front of them. Second jig after hitting the water produced 30->40 inch bass.

What makes it a heavy heaver? What are the rod specs? If you don’t mind me asking

Was hoping to go inland and look for trout/smallmouths- have a new 5wgt been looking to actually fish and not just lawn cast- rain ended that plan as rivers would be mud-

Went way south for me in S/MC to  a spot I know i can fly fish in this weather and sea's. Checked out a few beaches while driving south- looks to me that sand replenishment took place from Roosevelt to Hathaway but storm was already ripping sand away and jetties were showing. One crazy person was on a surfboard with the kite strings attached. Seems crazy to me given the sea's. 

Went to my spot- Saw nothing for bait- casted 8wgt for about 3 hours through the top of high to half through- caught some shad of all things- no stripers or blues. One other guy fishing with a spin rod- he had nothing also. As George said in Steinfeld- The ocean was angry  my friends. 

4 hours ago, daves745t said:

thats the main reason why I left the other day.    best I had was rhe mag darter for that wind and exactly as you said.  reeling in the plug was behind me.      My braid was wrapping around the guides every once in a while.    I was 15 minutes from home so I just wrapped it up.

Just got in from a quick outing. Threw heavy shads and some large NLBN as well. They seemed to do the trick but couldn't get them out very far. Honestly seemed fishable, but was with family wanting to take a look at the waves so I couldnt stay long. Conditions look prime out there, but cabbage on every other cast. Feel like someone is going to find them tonight!

RB water clarity update from around 6pm… chocolate with a side of chocolate. Bay beaches have lots of spinach the first 15 yards out. Report taken from the condemned area south .5 miles. Should get better

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

What makes it a heavy heaver? What are the rod specs? If you don’t mind me asking

Sorry I don't have it with me right now. It's no doubt a discontinued blank. I think a Lamiglas. 8ft fast taper able to cast 6 oz metals/jigs. You can't just go by factory specs. You have to dig through a pile of blanks bending them against the floor to find the action and heaving capacity you want. I grew up in a tackle shop. Started building custom rods as a teenager. I'm 73 now, So now I just copy the proven finished products of my friends who still build. Lately I've started some and gave it to them to finish LOL.

Heavy jigs/Metal is best with  a strong sweep. If it's dirty or has lots of weed it's too late. Got to get on a NEer early. 

Edited by Duff

September was great Bones & Albies almost every day, fluke & blues anytime you wanted them, plenty of bass at night particularly if you could find the mullet or peanuts 

October will need to wait a couple of days, there is fishable water but very uncomfortable out front, dirty in the back.

no fishing reports but we will have much different soft structures after these days