27conch

Deck Boot recommendation

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My old Gills have a split seem so looking for a new pair of 6" deck boots.

Grudens, Xtratuff, something else?

Thanks..

13 mins ago, 27conch said:

My old Gills have a split seem so looking for a new pair of 6" deck boots.

Grudens, Xtratuff, something else?

Thanks..

i was always grundens, but they seem to be heavier then the newer Xtratuff or Huk... last pair that i really like is huk

But that being said they are all good in my opinion.

I’ve had a pair of Xtra Tuff deck boots for about 5 years.

No complaints at all.

I’ll buy them again whenever this current pair craps out.

Posted (edited)

I always have and still wear vinking-askim insulated boots, my first pair were around "83"

boots.jpg

Edited by jerseyhunter

I'm literally wearing my Huk boots as I type this after getting back from 50 miles of tuna fishing and 2 hockey games.  Pretty comfy.  $40 on Amazon because they were a hideous color but I don't care.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Sailah said:

I'm literally wearing my Huk boots as I type this after getting back from 50 miles of tuna fishing and 2 hockey games.  Pretty comfy.  $40 on Amazon because they were a hideous color but I don't care.

People make fun of my camo Xtratuff high tops, but as ugly as sin as they were you're not finding a pair of Crocs that cheap.  It's not like I'm wearing them out to dinner, they're getting covered in blood and guts.

For a recommendation, I've had all those mentioned here - can't go wrong with any of them, but the Grundens I got are really heavy, as pointed out above, and not as comfortable.  The Shimano's are the most comfortable, though a little stiff, and the Xtratuff are great but a little tight around my fat calves.

Edited by The Fishing Nerd

I just wore water shoes and got gross fish feet until this season. Went with Xtratuff, no issues thusfar, except they don't do half sizes.

Xtratuff. Everyone I know uses them or Huk.  I like my Xtratuffs, not too heavy, not slippery, pretty comfortable.  Spend a little more for more comfort.

Xtratuf are narrow. They had wide sizes for a while but double check their website if you need wide. 

I usually wear size 8 shoes but I have to wear size 9 xtratuf. No complaints from me about build quality. 

wait for a sale

The Leather Xtra tuf deck boots seem to last better than the original version. Been using them for everything for two years and no issues whatsoever. My old original pair started cracking and leaking at around 2 years. Make sure you put them outside when you come home. They will stink up the house.  

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

The Leather Xtra tuf deck boots seem to last better than the original version. Been using them for everything for two years and no issues whatsoever. My old original pair started cracking and leaking at around 2 years. Make sure you put them outside when you come home. They will stink up the house.  

Welp, the leather ones are on sale in a couple colors at the Xtratuf site for $70, and come in half sizes, guess I'll find out in 3-5 business days. Some of the synthetic ones are as low as $68, and they already don't suck.

Edit: Amazon is actually another couple bucks cheaper, and arrive Monday with Prime.

Edited by ermghoti