luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2022

Rate this topic

212 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

That’s what I’m saying too!:laugh:

Sorry to hear you didnt score the catch you were hoping for. From my own experience I was blanked on many trips before I finally landed my first red. Its not even necessarily a lack of skill...you can do everything right and still have things beyond your control cross you up. One things for sure...the more experience you acquire... the better you'll be prepared when you finally hook one up. 

1 hour ago, dixiekraut said:

Sorry to hear you didnt score the catch you were hoping for. From my own experience I was blanked on many trips before I finally landed my first red. Its not even necessarily a lack of skill...you can do everything right and still have things beyond your control cross you up. One things for sure...the more experience you acquire... the better you'll be prepared when you finally hook one up. 

That’s exactly right. Next year I’ll be back with the knowledge I learned this year and hopefully a big red will be in the cards for me. And hopefully next year there will be better structure too lol. Tight lines to you.

17 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I need to get better at reading structure but from what I saw I didn’t really see any spot better than the other.

On our relatively flat structureless beaches it's challenging.  Look for something different.  If it's rough look for a calm spot.  If calm look for a rough spot.  Look for white water moving out past the breaker.  I even look for spots that lots of shells have washed up.  Can drive a mile and not see a shell and then there is a ton in one spot.  They didn't get there by accident.  Something was different.

Big Sandbar Shark for me on Wednesday.  Good circle hook set in the corner of the mouth so he didn't break off, and didn't see him until he was in the wash.  Thought for sure that it was a HUGH Red!  To add to the disappointment, he tangled 3 lines during the fight (fishing alone). 

I HATE SHARKS.... :banghd:

17 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

How far down is the bullpen? 

When you see the OSV closed at 21.8 that is usually just south of the bullpen.

A few tight spots when I left today around 10 am. From the entrance  down to 24, more beach south of that.

looks like it's closed now.

52426718552_ef27c94581_c.jpg

It was snotty and bit difficult to fish yesterday though bill and i put in 7 hours, last half in rain.....when you get into your seventies sitting in the truck ain't all that much fun...... but steve z was the last truck on the beach when we left and he is 'bout 20 years older than me...tough old bird for as many migrations as he has seen....

ACE_3816.JPG

9 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

On our relatively flat structureless beaches it's challenging.  Look for something different.  If it's rough look for a calm spot.  If calm look for a rough spot.  Look for white water moving out past the breaker.  I even look for spots that lots of shells have washed up.  Can drive a mile and not see a shell and then there is a ton in one spot.  They didn't get there by accident.  Something was different.

Very good advice, I will definitely keep this in mind next time. It’s funny, I’ve been surf fishing for 6 years and I never bothered looking for structure until early this year black drum fishing. Every outing is a learning experience I guess. The more you do it the better you get at it.

2 mins ago, allen sklar said:

It was snotty and bit difficult to fish yesterday though bill and i put in 7 hours, last half in rain.....when you get into your seventies sitting in the truck ain't all that much fun...... but steve z was the last truck on the beach when we left and he is 'bout 20 years older than me...tough old bird for as many migrations as he has seen....

ACE_3816.JPG

Just starting to realize how many of us ol farts there are.....altho as far as fishing....have to count me as a sophomore!

Well Allen I was merely waiting for the fat lady and she still has not yet cranked out a single solitary note.  So I guess it still must be on, eh? 

19 mins ago, SteveZ said:

Well Allen I was merely waiting for the fat lady and she still has not yet cranked out a single solitary note.  So I guess it still must be on, eh? 

It helps when you are hard of hearing like me.   Fat lady rarely sings.  :violin:Never sings for CG.  :wag:  Need pics.:bigeyes: