luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - October 2022

Rate this topic

212 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I talked to the guys at Old Inlet and asked them if they heard anything in terms of drum and they said not since the storm. 

We arrived at AIVA Tuesday during the storm and came home yesterday. Over the course of the week we ended up with 5 puppy drum (3 were over slot), which I was happy with given we only got 3 real days of fishing in  due to family joining us for 3 days of the trip. So the fish were still around, you just need to put in the time to find them.

I know when my wife and I were starting out surf fishing, we went a number of years before we started figuring things out (surf fishing really is the most frustrating type of fishing there is to learn). I still remember one trip (our first year or two into it) where this guy 50' from us was pulling black drum about every 20-30 minutes and we didn't catch crap using the same bait and everything, all that it boiled down to is that he was in the spot and we weren't and that a matter of a few feet makes all the difference between catching and just sitting on the beach. Find Poppy's Reading the Water posts on here and review those and then start putting in the time to really figure things out. 

Edited by BLilly

1 hour ago, BLilly said:

...where this guy 50' from us was pulling black drum about every 20-30 minutes and we didn't catch crap using the same bait and everything, all that it boiled down to is that he was in the spot and we weren't and that a matter of a few feet makes all the difference between catching and just sitting on the beach. Find Poppy's Reading the Water posts on here and review those and then start putting in the time to really figure things out. 

Reminds me of a fall trip I made to A.I.Va. a few years ago when the puppy drum run was in full force...2013 I think. I set up a few yards south of a father and son that had parked their jeep in the lot and walked over the dune...guess they didnt have an OSV permit. I watched awhile as they both limited out on reds...3 apiece...while I was getting skunked. They eventually packed it in and the boy came over and offered me their un- used bait....frozen mullet strips. I was using fresh bunker. As he walked away the kid turned and said " by the way...you're over -throwing the fish...they're right at your feet." Apparently they discovered that the drum were hugging the waterline...probably going for sand fleas or tiny bait fish. I usually try to set up two or three rods placing the baits at different distances...but that day I was neglecting the opportunity close in. Lesson learned.

14 mins ago, BLilly said:

Yeah Dixie, 3 of the 5 pups that we caught this last week were in close, probably less than 18-24” of water

When I started surf fiishing back in the 80's I just looked for the deepest water I could find...a slough that could hold water even at low tide. I learned years later that there are locations that are more likely to pay off...even the white water on top of a sand bar can be productive at times. 

3 hours ago, MDsurffishing said:

I'm not trying to convince you to keep fishing but there have been some big drum caught this week and have been posted in various social media outlets. The guys at Old Inlet are probably not the best source of info. I for one will be putting in some major time on the beach the next few weeks just like some other die-hard drum fisherman.

You are probably not there at the right time or location, what time do you stay into the evening? 

Well I was only on a 4 day trip but over the course of those four days I fished from 5-10 AM and then from 4 or 5-11-12 PM. I have yet to try the early AM hours. Farthest down I went was km 20 I want to say.

I wish I could have stayed the rest of the month and really given it a fair shot but not this year. Next year I’ll try to take a longer trip and hopefully I’ll be able to finally catch myself a bull red.

2 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Well I was only on a 4 day trip but over the course of those four days I fished from 5-10 AM and then from 4 or 5-11-12 PM. I have yet to try the early AM hours. Farthest down I went was km 20 I want to say.

I wish I could have stayed the rest of the month and really given it a fair shot but not this year. Next year I’ll try to take a longer trip and hopefully I’ll be able to finally catch myself a bull red.

those are the prime hours so could be the spot you picked or where your putting your bait in the water

6 hours ago, BLilly said:

We arrived at AIVA Tuesday during the storm and came home yesterday. Over the course of the week we ended up with 5 puppy drum (3 were over slot), which I was happy with given we only got 3 real days of fishing in  due to family joining us for 3 days of the trip. So the fish were still around, you just need to put in the time to find them.

I know when my wife and I were starting out surf fishing, we went a number of years before we started figuring things out (surf fishing really is the most frustrating type of fishing there is to learn). I still remember one trip (our first year or two into it) where this guy 50' from us was pulling black drum about every 20-30 minutes and we didn't catch crap using the same bait and everything, all that it boiled down to is that he was in the spot and we weren't and that a matter of a few feet makes all the difference between catching and just sitting on the beach. Find Poppy's Reading the Water posts on here and review those and then start putting in the time to really figure things out. 

Poppy.   Miss him.  A wealth of information and kindness.

17 mins ago, MDsurffishing said:

those are the prime hours so could be the spot you picked or where your putting your bait in the water

I’d say it was the spot if I was to blame something. Throughout the nights and mornings I fished I put my baits out from 20 yards to maybe 80-100 yards. 20-40 yards was hard because the dogfish peckered with my bait so much and the longer casts went mostly untouched except for the occasional skate. I need to get better at reading structure but from what I saw I didn’t really see any spot better than the other.

47 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

How far down is the bullpen? 

Bullpen is the camper area of OSV isn't it?

5 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I need to get better at reading structure but from what I saw I didn’t really see any spot better than the other.

My feelings exactly. Was hoping the storm created numerous breaks in the bar and interesting beach structure...but all I saw on the Va. end was that continuous close in bar 10-20 yds out and a long skinny slough in front that ran parallel to the bar and had about a foot of water in it at low tide...

1 hour ago, dixiekraut said:

My feelings exactly. Was hoping the storm created numerous breaks in the bar and interesting beach structure...but all I saw on the Va. end was that continuous close in bar 10-20 yds out and a long skinny slough in front that ran parallel to the bar and had about a foot of water in it at low tide...

The storm created some awesome structure just north of IRI but there's nothing in the surf currently. Bummer. Wonder how long after a storm does the bait and food chain move back close to shore?

1 min ago, cwb124 said:

The storm created some awesome structure just north of IRI but there's nothing in the surf currently. Bummer. Wonder how long after a storm does the bait and food chain move back close to shore?

Past experience usually tells me the fishing recovers a day or two after I leave.