JerseyJeb

Gulp taking on fishbites, now selling surf bytes

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Promoted at ICAST and now I see available in stores.

"Gulp!® Surf Bytes Strips
We developed Gulp Surf Bytes with a new, durable formula targeted towards the surf fishing market. Gulp! Surf Bytes Strips are available in 5 vibrant surf fishing colors. They can be cut-to-size to fit all surf fishing situations, and they can be recharged and reused."

Anybody use them yet ? Supposed to be more durable than regular gulp, not sure if they put in gauze or just made their resin formula harder. "4x Tough Gulp! formula"
Didn't put a link because I don't want to do commercial promotion but says in stock at some big stores and some small ones.

Had high hopes for fish gum but have yet to catch anything on it…….

will have to try gulp bytes and see if it is better then fish bites which work great

I remember when fishbites first came out, it was a game changer. I’m surprised it took this long for somebody to try and duplicate it

43 mins ago, DSem215 said:

I remember when fishbites first came out, it was a game changer. I’m surprised it took this long for somebody to try and duplicate it

Looks like it just normal saltwater gulp flavor but in the strip format. Fishgum is the same as fishbites but its all the flavors mixed together. 

Fish bites tough to beat, as far as fake bait, in warm water for whiting (kingfish). I know gulp bloodworms and small shrimp are no where near as good.  So I’ll stick to fish bites as backup to fresh shrimp or sand fleas. 

On 10/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, JerseyJeb said:

Looks like it just normal saltwater gulp flavor but in the strip format. Fishgum is the same as fishbites but its all the flavors mixed together. 

So, are we all supposed to expect anything soaked in gulp juice is a fish magnet? Strips of chicken? Felt?

13 hours ago, EricDice said:

So, are we all supposed to expect anything soaked in gulp juice is a fish magnet? Strips of chicken? Felt?

yes

Posted (edited)

Just got some in the mail. The waffle grid on the outside is just the mold, there is no extra material inside. They are thick, won't be able to run the hook through twice on smaller gap hooks. The markings are perfectly space to cut off a rectangle and then cut in half for your kingfish rig. Other than that will have to fish em to pass any further judgment. 

Edited by JerseyJeb

I can’t imagine that it will be productive enough to compete with fishbites if it’s just the same scent in a different package— I’ve tried cutting small chunks of gulp to catch small/bait fish before and it just doesn’t compare with Fishbites. It works but it’s nowhere near as productive. Gulp bloodworms vs Fishbites bloodworms isn’t even a competition, Fishbites wins every time.

Gulp is still king in the fluke game though, no question about that. The Fishbites Fightclub grubs aren’t bad at all, they do work, but gulp still has the crown glued tight to their head in that market.

Both brands have their respective corners locked down, I understand trying to be the undisputed champ across the board but it’s just not gonna happen. They’re both great for what they’re intended for. 

15 mins ago, Tyger92 said:

I can’t imagine that it will be productive enough to compete with fishbites if it’s just the same scent in a different package— I’ve tried cutting small chunks of gulp to catch small/bait fish before and it just doesn’t compare with Fishbites. It works but it’s nowhere near as productive. Gulp bloodworms vs Fishbites bloodworms isn’t even a competition, Fishbites wins every time.

Gulp is still king in the fluke game though, no question about that. The Fishbites Fightclub grubs aren’t bad at all, they do work, but gulp still has the crown glued tight to their head in that market.

Both brands have their respective corners locked down, I understand trying to be the undisputed champ across the board but it’s just not gonna happen. They’re both great for what they’re intended for. 

The gulp sandworms are just not good, they are worst gulp product I have used. I think how its molded for all the appendages or something effects scent dispersion / absorption as well as the action in the water. I use the freshwater gulp minnows and grub tails in saltwater and they work really good.

41 mins ago, JerseyJeb said:

The gulp sandworms are just not good, they are worst gulp product I have used. I think how its molded for all the appendages or something effects scent dispersion / absorption as well as the action in the water. I use the freshwater gulp minnows and grub tails in saltwater and they work really good.

Yes, FW / SW it’s interchangeable as long as the size & color is appropriate. I don’t think they scent any one product line different from the other. 

My biggest problem with Gulp is me. I can’t seem to consistently put the package back into the double zip lock I bring along and eventually I always end up with gulp stink in my fishing gear bag, trunk, etc. 

1 min ago, EricDice said:

Yes, FW / SW it’s interchangeable as long as the size & color is appropriate. I don’t think they scent any one product line different from the other. 

My biggest problem with Gulp is me. I can’t seem to consistently put the package back into the double zip lock I bring along and eventually I always end up with gulp stink in my fishing gear bag, trunk, etc. 

As heavy handed as I am, that’s always my biggest problem too. And I don’t wanna carry around the big ass Plano liqui-locker.