Andrew46

Hotel/Motel suggestion for Montauk next week

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

So,  heading out to Montauk this Sunday to do a few days of fishing.  I have a campsite booked for those days on the beach. Looks like rain is definitively a possibility along with high winds. Weather to drop in the high 40's as well.

Thinking I will abandon the camping and just grab a hotel/motel room to hunker down during the rain or for sleep. I am familar with Montauk, just always camped while I fished.

Anyone have some places that they frequent that would be ok for a few days. dont need anything fancy. just clean and no bed bugs.

Rates are high all over, leaves the Royal Atlantic as one of very few that are affordable. Its dirty and worn but has great location and I always think it beats a tent, probably not as clean as a tent, but it has TV, A/C or heat, and is a 60 degree wedge from Paulies and walking into town is convenient. The Shagwong is nearby, and Goldbergs Bagels is also worth a daily visit.

Or Gurneys could probably help you out of $400 a night for a basic room, thats $12K a month for a room rental, ridiculous, for $12K a month in October in the NE, I want a 3-4 bedroom oceanfront home with at least 2 bathrooms. 

"M" is a place to remember to bring your checkbook and credit card, the words reasonable and bargain aren't often heard. 

Currently in Maine after a week in Cape Cod,  small things that bother me are a bagel with a schmear is $7 and a coffee is $3.50. Lobster prices are off the charts, $44 for 1 1/2 lb. dinner which consists of the lobster, cole slaw and a piece of corn on the cob,   and $30-to $40 for a lobster roll that couldn't fill a mouse. We did find a lobster pound today in Ogonquit, he cooked (4) 1 3/4 lbers. and 2 lbs. of steamers (soft clams) for my wife and myself for $72, yesterday in Harpswell, (5) 1  1/4- 1 1/2 lbers cooked for $40. So if you know the knots its an easy escape from literally getting robbed.  

For work related reasons, not fishing, I stayed at the Wave Crest in a 3 bed suite for 270 a night. Not bad if you have some folks to split with. 

The 1 bedroom/ kitchen I have at the end of the month is about $156/ night, but the taxes and fees drive it up to $188/ night. 

On 9/30/2022 at 6:23 PM, Highlander1 said:

Rates are high all over, leaves the Royal Atlantic as one of very few that are affordable. Its dirty and worn but has great location and I always think it beats a tent, probably not as clean as a tent, but it has TV, A/C or heat, and is a 60 degree wedge from Paulies and walking into town is convenient. The Shagwong is nearby, and Goldbergs Bagels is also worth a daily visit.

Or Gurneys could probably help you out of $400 a night for a basic room, thats $12K a month for a room rental, ridiculous, for $12K a month in October in the NE, I want a 3-4 bedroom oceanfront home with at least 2 bathrooms. 

"M" is a place to remember to bring your checkbook and credit card, the words reasonable and bargain aren't often heard. 

Currently in Maine after a week in Cape Cod,  small things that bother me are a bagel with a schmear is $7 and a coffee is $3.50. Lobster prices are off the charts, $44 for 1 1/2 lb. dinner which consists of the lobster, cole slaw and a piece of corn on the cob,   and $30-to $40 for a lobster roll that couldn't fill a mouse. We did find a lobster pound today in Ogonquit, he cooked (4) 1 3/4 lbers. and 2 lbs. of steamers (soft clams) for my wife and myself for $72, yesterday in Harpswell, (5) 1  1/4- 1 1/2 lbers cooked for $40. So if you know the knots its an easy escape from literally getting robbed.  

not much of anything for under $200 a night. Gurney's is showing $835 with taxes and fees. My former co-worker spent a few days there in the summer. of course it wasnt on her dime. She went to a fancy private college with a daughter of a fortune 500 CEO. Funny thing is I camp out out Hither Hills so I'm literally right next to it.

3 hours ago, Al_Dente said:

For work related reasons, not fishing, I stayed at the Wave Crest in a 3 bed suite for 270 a night. Not bad if you have some folks to split with. 

is it clean? the recent reviews havent been so kind.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Andrew46 said:

is it clean? the recent reviews havent been so kind.

It was clean enough for me but I’m not picky. that being said, I didn’t notice anything obviously amiss. I stayed in the room right behind the front office facing the street. I can’t speak for the many other rooms there. 

im camping at cedar point in the rain this weekend, and the bed at the Wave Crest was definitely warmer and drier haha. 

Edited by Al_Dente

Guy I worked with stayed at a place called common ground 

he claims wasn’t bad place

i think it’s on lake shore dr

something with there web site when I checked and it said it was closed. But they are not closed

Born Free Suites was decent paid like $250/n near end of October tho

That 55mph ENE wind at northbar was no fun in my Jeep last night lol

Problem with Montauk is the old school crowd has been pushed out by the BIG money yuppies.  Nothing is cheap anymore and the fishing is mediocre to boot.

15 hours ago, runnsfromcops said:

A room with a bathroom at the Montauket cost me $96 10 years ago haha. 

Stayed at the Manor around that time. Four nights and paid for two nights. The rate was $120 per night more or less..

On 9/30/2022 at 6:23 PM, Highlander1 said:

Royal Atlantic as one of very few that are affordable. Its dirty and worn but has great location and I always think it beats a tent,

+ 1. you are fishing right? no wife? also its just off the beach, just in case a blitz. 

dry and warm. if available take it. no brainer

been going for years.