Abu 6500 Power Handle

Rate this topic

RP McMurphy

I have a sweet Abu 6500, and I'm planning to put on a power handle.  Are there better options than the Abu replacement handle? I've heard mixed reviews on Geomexus.  Here's the Abu handle on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Abu-Garcia-Power-Handle-Accessory/dp/B0029508HE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=18JZWWFN5XTX9&keywords=abu%2Bgarcia%2Bpower%2Bhandle%2Bfor%2B6500&qid=1664549119&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjYzIiwicXNhIjoiMS4wOSIsInFzcCI6IjAuODcifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=abu%2Bpower%2B%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-2&th=1

A couplemof months ago, i was going to buy that handle for my 5500C  but i got this gomexus instead.  I left a spring washer on the shaft when I installed it and the handle fell off ; but that was my fault for leaving the spring washer in and getting the nut on only a few threads.  I took out the spring washer and now the handle is nice and tight on the shaft.

Since I read some Gomexus threads on here, while i had the handle off, I took it apart and serviced it (i had initially just put it on out of the box).  I put Reel-Ex on the bearings and blue lock-tight on the inner screw.

I'd say that both handles are probably good, it just depends what you want.  the Abu handle is less maintenance and moving parts to seize up, but the gomexus handle (with lubed bearings) is smooth.  I dont know how strong it is; as I've only caught sub-12" perch with it.  If i was winching a big catfish or something, maybe I'd want the Abu handle, since its just the plastic handle on the shaft?

Here's a pic with the Gomexus comapred to the stock handle

6033A268-C314-47FB-8D05-17652ABC9501.jpeg

youll need to grind/cut a notch into the freespool button if you plan to use any offset or unbalanced handles. the button will "bite" into the sideplate wall and not pop up until you push it down.

it WILL engage into gear on a power cast. if you dont cut a notch.

otherwise almost any 8x6? size shaft handle fits.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

16 hours ago, LB said:

l made 10 of these handles 25 years ago before good handles were available, SS and wood no tripping, no engagement of the spool

You're a craftsman. Those handles are beautiful. If you ever have an extra laying around that you're willing to part with, give me a shout!

I have the Garcia power handle on all of my Garcia reels and I’m pleased with them, they feel solid… although I havnt tried anything else. It looks like there is a used one on Amazon for slightly cheaper- or if you live near me they carry them at the Fishermans source in nj. 

E2B23423-4BF0-4E12-B9FD-3E49D8B6A09D.jpeg.abaacbd0ecdda577dede9b457b94310a.jpeg
B2728D46-97D1-4C84-A9E6-055915396200.jpeg.fc757551b9d51683e50239f13f308be7.jpeg

anyways, @EricL is right, since the Garcia handle isn’t perfectly balanced- if you cast hard the reel handle will move mid flight and close- your either loose your plug or blow your IAR bearing. …so you’ll have to cut it or file a notch in the button- check out the pic. It’s easy… It works well… but you have to pull the button back slightly to engage the reel after a cast… so it can be a pain. That is only like a 10$ part so if you don’t like it you can replace that button. I only had to do this on one of my reels I’m guessing since it’s older and maybe worn a little… my newer (15yr old) 6500c3 doesn’t have this problem. But I also don’t really power cast, more of a smooth sling or lob gets the job done for me… 

7E8013A0-FC22-4493-83FB-C8681BE9548F.jpeg.78cb3fe2d4d1637796704eefc72c1c1a.jpeg

anyways- the balance of the reel handle is something to consider… even if it has a counter weight it usually needs more… guys have also added more on their own…

Edited by Mr.Belmar

4 mins ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I have the Garcia power handle on all of my Garcia reels and I’m pleased with them, they feel solid… although I havnt tried anything else. It looks like there is a used one on Amazon for slightly cheaper- or if you live near me they carry them at the Fishermans source in nj. 

E2B23423-4BF0-4E12-B9FD-3E49D8B6A09D.jpeg.abaacbd0ecdda577dede9b457b94310a.jpeg
B2728D46-97D1-4C84-A9E6-055915396200.jpeg.fc757551b9d51683e50239f13f308be7.jpeg

anyways, @EricL is right, since the Garcia handle isn’t perfectly balanced- if you cast hard the reel handle will move mid flight and close- your either loose your plug or blow your IAR bearing. …so you’ll have to cut it or file a notch in the button- check out the pic. It’s easy… It works well… but you have to pull the button back slightly to engage the reel after a cast… so it can be a pain. That is only like a 10$ part so if you don’t like it you can replace that button. I only had to do this on one of my reels I’m guessing since it’s older and maybe worn a little… my newer (15yr old) 6500c3 doesn’t have this problem. But I also don’t really power cast, more of a smooth sling or lob gets the job done for me… 

7E8013A0-FC22-4493-83FB-C8681BE9548F.jpeg.78cb3fe2d4d1637796704eefc72c1c1a.jpeg

anyways- the balance of the reel handle is something to consider… even if it has a counter weight it usually needs more… guys have also added more on their own…

If cutting is scary. One can also some elastic flat bracelets made of silicone. There like half inch wide,  and can slip over the sideplate and button before a cast.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

1 hour ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I have the Garcia power handle on all of my Garcia reels and I’m pleased with them, they feel solid

Thanks for the very helpful post.  The picture of the notch in the freespool button is especially appreciated.  I'll admit, I wasn't visualizing it before.

53 mins ago, EricL said:

If cutting is scary. One can also some elastic flat bracelets made of silicone. There like half inch wide,  and can slip over the sideplate and button before a cast.

Yes - notching the freespool is a bit scary at this point. Based on the input, I think I'll go with the Abu handle.  Then I'll field cast for a bit - if the freespool accidently disengages during casting, then I'll figure out whether to notch, or lock it down with the silicone bracelets.  Muchas gracias, both.

Its not that scary, and its much easier to lock before you cast. I notched almost every reel i had. Easy to do with a dremel.

Ive tried the silicone thing before but always end up forgetting.

With the notch, aa you press button down, youll naturally also be pushing it forward into the side plate. So it almost "automatically"  locks.  Crank the handle once, the inside springs will try to pop the button up.  But with the notch, it gets "locked" in place 100%.

At this point, you can even use power handles with no issues.

20210829_135723.jpg

Edited by EricL

I also say no worries about cutting… as I mentioned you can order this specific part for like 10$ online from multiple places (although the prime place with free shipping doesn’t have it… so you have to pay shipping) 

so if you don’t like it- you can order a new part. Or order a new part and cut the new one and keep the original as a backup. 

22 hours ago, EricL said:

youll need to grind/cut a notch into the freespool button if you plan to use any offset or unbalanced handles. the button will "bite" into the sideplate wall and not pop up until you push it down.

it WILL engage into gear on a power cast. if you dont cut a notch.

otherwise almost any 8x6? size shaft handle fits.

Or keep me handle knob down,  adjacent to the reel seat when casting:howdy:

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

4 hours ago, EricL said:

Its not that scary, and its much easier to lock before you cast. I notched almost every reel i had. Easy to do with a dremel.

26 mins ago, Mr.Belmar said:

mentioned you can order this specific part for like 10$ online from multiple places

Thanks again, both Eric and Mr. Belmar.  I feel better about the procedure (and I have a dremel...)  

For some reason, I was thinking about it like a tree - once you cut it down, you can't put it back up.  But like you say, it's easy to swap out parts when wanted/needed.  

So my game plan:  Abu power handle, keep the handle knob down when casting as Jimmy recommends (thanks, Jimmy).  If I find that the freespool disengages while casting, I bust out the dremel and notch away.

Thank you, gentlemen.  Love this web site.  

2 mins ago, jimmy z said:

Or keep me handle knob down,  adjacent to the reel seat when casting:howdy:

for the stock handles, dual or counter balance, keeping it parallel or knob somewhat forward and down at 5oclock works.

but once you switch to other handles, a notch is recommend.

cause even if the handle hits your body on cast.

the handle just keeps clicking around and pinion doesnt engage.