shad

Florida devastation

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just reading the reports of the storm damage down the gulf coast , so horrible to see such devastated communities and environmental damage.

We were coming over from the UK to fish Sanibel in November but that won't be possible now.

Does anyone have any alternative areas worth trying in florida,  we will be beach fishing mainly fly, we are flying into miami and don't mind a drive .

Please pm if you don't want to post, hopefully we can find somewhere to save our trip.

Edited by shad

Yeah it's the wrong time of year for tarpon , we have been going to the keys in May for a number of years until covid.

Looking for some beach fishing for snook , red fish etc 

1 hour ago, shad said:

Just reading the reports of the storm damage down the gulf coast , so horrible to see such devastated communities and environmental damage.

We were coming over from the UK to fish Sanibel in November but that won't be possible now.

Does anyone have any alternative areas worth trying in florida,  we will be beach fishing mainly fly, we are flying into miami and don't mind a drive .

Please pm if you don't want to post, hopefully we can find somewhere to save our trip.

Can’t even get over to Sanibel. 

Posted (edited)

Fortunately my mom is visiting my brother in NY. But she lives there in N Ft Myers (next to Cape Coral) and trying to find out how her community (over 55) fared...its Tara Woods

Edited by albacized

3 hours ago, shad said:

Ironically my wife and I are heading to the UK in November to visit our daughter. Sorry to hear your vacation may be affected. But. Make my own venture to FL (from Massachusetts) to find snook on the beach, but hit points a bit north of there, in Englewood and Venice. May be worth a look

I have a friend, a fellow retiree from my old office, who retired to Pine Island, next to Sanibel. His wife is partially disabled, and he's not in great shape either. He had the family RV all cranked up and ready to run, and a damn good thing he did. The rode out the hurricane in the lee of a heavy concrete retaining wall, but the bridge to Pine Island is gone, os he can't get back to see if his house still exists.

People who trailered their boats inland, in advance of the storm, will probably be selling ferry rides to Sanibel and Pine Islands to homeowners. He'll probably be able to get to see the house in short order. Pine Island is connected to the mainland by very short bridges, and the ACOE may be able to use a Bailey Bridge or the current equivalent to restore some access relatively quickly. But Sanibel, no way ... divers will have to inspect every damn bridge piling on the length of the causeway. The larger part of the bridge may be so compromised that they'll have to replace them.

20 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Sanibel is out of action as a vacation destination for a year at least.

At least, can’t believe the devastation down there. 

Replacing the entire Causeway, if that proves necessary, is going to be a multi-year, billion dollar problem.

In the UK we've seen videos of sharks swimming down streets and tarpon swimming around someone's kitchen! 

Prayers go out to folks down there, especially all the small businesses. 

Heartbreaking to see so much damage, lives lost and entire communities all but destroyed.  It will take years for those areas to get somewhere near normal again.  The outer bands of Ian are overhead as I type this, but the worst of it will pass well south and west of where I live as a tropical storm.  We got hammered pretty hard here by Florence in 2018, and it took about a year or more for everything to get back to normal.  Some of the low lying areas around us were wiped out by flooding and still haven't been rebuilt.  Florence was bad but probably one tenth as bad as Ian.  My community took a direct hit from Florence's eye, but it had lost energy and made landfall as a Cat 1. Nowhere near the devastation that has occurred in Florida. I think this one may be even worse than Katrina.  

19 hours ago, shad said:

I’d choose one of the family islands in the Bahamas If wade fishing is the priority.