EricDice

mark bucktails / jigs by OZs & using pouches with no slots

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

How do you mark BTs/jigs for weight? Sharpie?

Also, I have a TA pouch which doesn’t have sewn in slots. I have some kinda styrofoam block & my bucktails are stuck into it like flies inside a fly box. 

• Anyone have a better strategy?
  • Mini tubes from some readily available source? Etc?

Pics if you can. Thanks.

(Trying to potentially get one more Fall run out of my bags & pouch but still be more organized.)

I use my digital kitchen scale to weigh, a new sharpie out of the box, I either write the weight on the collar if the threads allow it or on the top of the head. 

Why a new sharpie? A worn out and used sharpie writes too sloppily, fine point makes it easy. Will provide pics in a few hours

Posted (edited)

After surf fishing for so many years I can know the size of a bucktail jig just by looking at it and picking it up. Besides, I mostly use white bucktails in about five sizes ( 3/8, 1/2, 1, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 ozs.) so it's pretty easy to select the size I want to fish.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

5 hours ago, Mlima5 said:

Stole this idea from someone on here. Bought these bands and put one of the little circles on the hook. Different colors mark different weights

https://www.amazon.com/LOVEWEE-Dental-Orthodontic-Ligature-Multi-color/dp/B08T1SP4BD/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=braces+bands&qid=1664431855&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjgwIiwicXNhIjoiNC43MiIsInFzcCI6IjQuNDcifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

This is a cool idea!

After using the same brand for years I’m starting to be able to tell without marking however I do use a sharpie. often the ink comes off after a season.  

for storage, I can’t really think of anything outside of the box. There are some readily available low cost alternatives like the aquaskinz bucktail/tin holster tho. 

8 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

After surf fishing for so many years I can know the size of a bucktail jig just by looking at it and picking it up. Besides, I mostly use white bucktails in about five sizes ( 3/8, 1/2, 1, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 ozs.) so it's pretty easy to select the size I want to fish.

Agreed, I tend to be able to reach into the bag in the dark and grab what I want.  It's gets easy to tell a 1 and a 1 1/2 apart when you rotate through jigs all night every night. It also helps to have a consistent orientation in the bag and to know what jigs you want to carry for a specific spot/conditions.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, surfstryker said:

This is a cool idea!

After using the same brand for years I’m starting to be able to tell without marking however I do use a sharpie. often the ink comes off after a season.  

for storage, I can’t really think of anything outside of the box. There are some readily available low cost alternatives like the aquaskinz bucktail/tin holster tho. 

I use the same brand and can usually tell by looking at them, or by the order i placed them in my bag in the loops, but when you hang them on the loops you cant see the head. Ill carry everything from 1-4.5 oz in half ounce increments sometimes on a jetty in white+red, its convenient with so many jigs in the bag if you lose track of whats where

Edited by Mlima5

8 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Agreed, I tend to be able to reach into the bag in the dark and grab what I want.  It's gets easy to tell a 1 and a 1 1/2 apart when you rotate through jigs all night every night. It also helps to have a consistent orientation in the bag and to know what jigs you want to carry for a specific spot/conditions.

Consistent orientation makes a world of a difference. I tend to look at the bands more so when hanging stuff up after washing or when filling my bag as opposed to looking at the colors while fishing

Posted (edited)

On 9/29/2022 at 0:05 AM, EricDice said:

How do you mark BTs/jigs for weight? Sharpie?

Also, I have a TA pouch which doesn’t have sewn in slots. I have some kinda styrofoam block & my bucktails are stuck into it like flies inside a fly box. 

• Anyone have a better strategy?
  • Mini tubes from some readily available source? Etc?

Pics if you can. Thanks.

(Trying to potentially get one more Fall run out of my bags & pouch but still be more organized.)

I also use color coded orthodontic ligature ties.

I loop/roll them all the way to the base of the hook (so that even if I put some kind of swimming plastic/gulp/fishbites on the hook it will still be all the way at the base). Takes a little while to then just memorize what color you used for what, but once you do it is pretty easy and you don't ever have to worry about the bucktails getting mixed up in a pouch/bag/box.

I don't fish in the dark a whole lot, but if you do, you can simply put multiple ligature ties on them so you can feel them with your fingernails to count. Just use some kind of system for how many are on it for the weight.

Edited by FallenKell

This won't apply to guys that don't roll their own. But, I've used different color thread to code weight when tying bucktails. I found it helps, dead tired towards the end of the nite. 

My bags are loaded light to heavy in the bucktail slots. Though, if you are a hard-core bucktailer like me. It's kinda muscle memory picking one out of the bag.

1 hour ago, Haycreekrambler said:

This won't apply to guys that don't roll their own. But, I've used different color thread to code weight when tying bucktails. I found it helps, dead tired towards the end of the nite. 

My bags are loaded light to heavy in the bucktail slots. Though, if you are a hard-core bucktailer like me. It's kinda muscle memory picking one out of the bag.

similarly, i use red thread for whole sizes and white for half 

how important is it to know whether you're tossing a 3/8 oz bucktail vs a 1/2 oz?

I'm a bucktail noob so perhaps that explains the confusion for why this level of detail is important.

Posted (edited)

Very important at times, it's one of the factors that makes bucktails so deadly. Typically you want to work your jig in the strike zone just above the bottom, occasionally tapping the structure while not hanging up. Small distinctions in weight and density of the hair tie allow you to dial in to a particular depth and rate of sweep. Done properly you can consistently keep your Bucktail in the strike zone throughout the retrieve. As you fish through a tide and water depth and movement shifts you'll be able to continuously change weight to effectively work the water.

Edited by Sandbar1

thank you, makes sense and also makes sense why someone who is clueless at them wouldn't have thought about it that way - I was thinking more about casting distance lol