DSem215

What’s your favorite surf fishing state?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

What’s your favorite state to surf fish in? Just curious since I’ve only ever fished NJ and Piney Point, MD

I've fished everywhere north of LBI. My favorite will always be Long Island, for the variety. You had the relatively flat surf of the Sound, the real surf of the South Shore, the inlets, and of course, the Mecca. You had head boats for flounder in the spring, daytime fluke and night bluefish bloodbaths in summer, and when I first moved there, winter cod. And it was one of the few places where I had the surf "Grand Slam" regularly---fluke, blues, weaks, and bass, all on different stages of the same tide in the inlets. Met a ton of good guys like Alberto, Kadir, Freddy Golofaro, Jack Yee, and some SOL characters who don't come around anymore and who I hope are still alive and well like Prospector and Fred Burkhart. Late 80s to 2006.  It's expensive, overcrowded, choked with traffic, and often a pain in the ass place to live, but it was great fishing in its heyday when the bass came back after the moratorium.

Rhode Island does offer some of the best striper waters from shore based locations. In addition, they have numerous spots to fish regardless if the conditions are bad at one, they have many others facing different directions to give a try. Boulder fields, jetties and open beaches as well as their well known breachways offer the surf angler many differernt offerings. And the CCC isn't far away either.

Posted (edited)

Massachusetts, the canal and surrounding beaches and marshes.

I live in Rhode Island and I barely catch chit here...

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Out of MA, ME, NH, RI & CT… I’d say MA. Lots of cool & very different places to fish. From the famous Charles River, the National Seashore, Newburyport… it’s a nice season ride.

RI. Got the shortest coast line yet the most publicly accessible water.

Not like ma where the waters edge goes on forever but ya gotta army crawl under the “private property” signs to get to any of it. 

Have fished for stripers from NJ to ME. Live on LI NY. My backyard is my favorite place to fish.

RI was definitely my favorite state to fish in.

Little Rhody, though I only lived there for a year.  Hatteras used to be great until the stripers disappeared.

I’ve only fished in RI and Maine. Love RI but the great thing about Maine is the total lack of people. Depends on where you fish obviously but I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve fished within sight of someone this year.