HopHead

Return to office

Rate this topic

284 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, HopHead said:

What are they afraid of now.....other than getting stabbed on the subway?

How about the convenience of working from home and no need to really be in an office to do the job. 

1 min ago, MikeMc said:

How about the convenience of working from home and no need to really be in an office to do the job. 

How about just write scripts and schedule them, and not work at all?  

The office is dead. I don't think this is fear of disease. There are those who are traumatized or otherwise not ready to go back to life without a face mask and don't touch stuff. Heck I know a few who don't leave the house anymore. I think they are gone forever. 

The office is largely bull**** and a commuting to it a complete waste of time and money for many. When the pandemic hit I was commuting 2hrs both ways on a train. Paid well. Outrageous perks and benefits (health insurance sucked balls worse than any major corp I ever worked for, but the offset was OK). My job was all emails and phone calls. I video conferenced clients around the country/world. Every meeting had a video conference with the other coast and Europe. You want me to sacrifice 20 extra unpaid hours a week for that? Go **** yourself. Hard. With an umbrella. Open it before removing.  Seriously. My productivity increased 80% after I wasn't exhausted and haggard first thing everyday. 

It's not everybody's job, and yes my commute was unique and extreme. But now that it has been proven that an office job does not require being in the office all the time, you need to justify when people go there. When I worked from home and traveled constantly it was electric when we brought the team together for a huddle and then supernovaed back across the continent to kick ass and take names. That's not the same as wearing people down with extra time, expense, stress, and difficulty to get to an office and be there just because the space is an existing company expense. 

Reduce space costs, increase salaries, and weed out those who need to be supervised. Have your face to face 1 or 2 times a week or month or whatever PROVES valuable. If it doesn't prove to be valuable, then **** it. The company should not own 10 hours a week (or more) of your time for no money just because they said so. **** them. Corporate is trying to recuperate costs on real estate that wasn't needed to actually promote productivity in the first place. That bull**** is the real power trip control mechanism. Social engineering at its finest. Making people spend time unnecessarily at their own expense for no good reason just to make them know who's in charge. It's senseless and counterproductive. 

Some guys that work in information technology roles are often required to be in close proximity to the technology that keeps the remote workforce productive. How do you reward them for their sacrifice?

2 mins ago, mybeach said:

I understand you’d points, Paul. And your argument was well thought out, lucid, and to the point. 

It is good, unfortunately we all know that 75% of people want to simply take advantage and skirt by.  Not just work, but everything.  It's human nature to get more for less.  I've worked with the worst of the worst and have seen first hand the dirty games people play.  

5 mins ago, mybeach said:

I understand you’d points, Paul. And your argument was well thought out, lucid, and to the point. 

Overruled 

1 min ago, mybeach said:

Some guys that work in information technology roles are often required to be in close proximity to the technology that keeps the remote workforce productive. How do you reward them for their sacrifice?

Good wages and Benefits.  Flexible schedules.  I've never asked for much, I'll work hard as long as I can play hard.  

i am back to office Tu, We and Th and enjoying it. change of pace is welcome and productivity modestly higher. also, less time spent arguing with you idgits since i won't use company computers to visit SOL and have a lousy cell signal in office*

* i am home today btw.